P600 or P800? Been agonizing back and forth on which to choose..

Started Oct 24, 2017 | Discussions
Backdoctor
Backdoctor Forum Pro • Posts: 13,931
P600 or P800? Been agonizing back and forth on which to choose..

With my R3000 having the dreaded black ink blobs and a repair price of $475 it seems time to get a new printer.

I have had a LOT of good input. The P800 is $350 more after rebates but with the much larger ink cartridges it would even out in price after two refills of the P600.

The issue, I don't print THAT many photos. I plan to do more printing of my wildlife and sports shots. Also some family stuff. I don't know when I'd print 17" wide...  I do a fair amount of document printing on an Epson NX420 , but I'm constantly changing those inks. Would it be stupid to print documents on the P800 as the ink is so much less and cartridges so much bigger? Can it print documents or is it made for photo paper.

If I could use it to print more of what I do then it might make sense... I have to pull the trigger before I lose the rebates on Oct. 31st.

-- hide signature --

Harris
PBase/DPReview/NTF supporter
Egret Stalker #4, WSSA #29
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Nikon Coolpix P600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,398
Re: P600 or P800? Been agonizing back and forth on which to choose..

As long as you print or do a nozzle check every week, you should be fine for many years of use of the P800 and the cartridges in it.

One nice thing about a 17-inch printer even if you don't print that wide is that you can print a photo on half a sheet or more or less (vertically), trim it, then use the leftovers for subsequent prints. 11 by 17 inch sheets are generally cheaper than two 8.5 by 11 inch sheets.

Backdoctor
OP Backdoctor Forum Pro • Posts: 13,931

Charles

Any issue using it to print documents in lieu of a nozzle check? I never used the R3000 for documents, only photos. I dont see why it would be an issue, and the ink is certainly cheaper than the NX420. I print photos periodically, document weekly.

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

Backdoctor wrote:

Charles

Any issue using it to print documents in lieu of a nozzle check?

No, other than a waste of ink.

And as someone who's actually owned both the P600 and P800 since they day they shipped (be sure to ask, many post without a lick of experience) I can tell you that you can go months without a clog on either being used. Same with my 3880.

I never used the R3000 for documents, only photos. I dont see why it would be an issue, and the ink is certainly cheaper than the NX420. I print photos periodically, document weekly.

Not at all an issue. Just expensive ink but then there's another reason to consider the larger ink carts on the P800!

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,398

Backdoctor wrote:

A nozzle check, which uses very little ink, pushes ink through every nozzle. A black and white document would not.

This snippet from the P800 manual certainly expects the printer to be used to print documents, and it has a tip about Finest Detail -- for when you send vector-based data to the printer (think Postscript and programs that use it).

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

Charles2 wrote:

Backdoctor wrote:

A nozzle check, which uses very little ink, pushes ink through every nozzle. A black and white document would not.

This snippet from the P800 manual certainly expects the printer to be used to print documents, and it has a tip about Finest Detail -- for when you send vector-based data to the printer (think Postscript and programs that use it).

Don't just think Postscript and programs that use it!

https://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/photography-workflow/the-right-resolution/

The Epson pro printers have an option in the print driver called Finest Detail. When that option is checked, the driver actually reports its resolution to be 720 dpi. The Canon also can report to the system as a higher-res 600 dpi printer. In the past, Epson has told photographers they didn’t need to use the Finest Detail option when printing. Epson says that it’s useful for vector graphics and type, but not images. I beg to disagree. I decided to go about proving that upsampling to 720 ppi for Epson and 600 ppi for Canon printers can be useful.

Figure 10

Detail of the print dimensions and native resolution.

This whole thing really came about when I got a Phase One P65+ medium-format 60 MP digital back. It really ticked me off that all that resolution went to waste when printing smaller images. The capture size of a P65+ is 8984×6732 pixels. To make a print on 13×19-inch paper with a minimum one-inch margin results in an image size of 14.68×11 inches and a resolution of 612 ppi, so why waste it? When Lightroom 3 was being developed, I worked with the engineers to increase the previous hard cap of output resolution from the previous 480 ppi. In Lightroom 3, the hard cap is now set at 720 ppi.

The bottom line is, if the image you’re printing to a high-end inkjet printer has a native resolution at the print size of less than the printer resolution, upsample to the printer’s dpi. In the case of Epson, that’s 360 dpi, and it’s 300 dpi with Canon and other printers with similar print heads. If the native resolution is above the resolution, upsample the image to the higher reported resolution of the printers (720 ppi for Epson and 600 ppi for Canon). In the case of the Epson line, also check the option for Finest Detail.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

fredlord Senior Member • Posts: 2,726

I just ordered the P800. I still have a nine-year-old 3800 and it is a great printer. I had a 1270 for 17 years and it was my primary document printer despite being labeled as a photo printer.

I eventually bought a cheap Brother B&W laser printer for ordinary documents. It cost less than one ink cartridge for either of the 17-inch printers.

Yes, you can use the photo printers for any other sort of printing you like. It is overkill and definitely a waste of ink in my mind but, that said, I've printed nearly all kinds of documents on my old 3800 including emails.

-- hide signature --

Fred Lord

fredlord's gear list:fredlord's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +8 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 24,775

Hi Harris,

If P800 fits into the budget, it is a better choice, especially if you are going to print on Epson paper using Epson colour profiles.

Backdoctor wrote:

With my R3000 having the dreaded black ink blobs and a repair price of $475 it seems time to get a new printer.

I have had a LOT of good input. The P800 is $350 more after rebates but with the much larger ink cartridges it would even out in price after two refills of the P600.

The issue, I don't print THAT many photos. I plan to do more printing of my wildlife and sports shots. Also some family stuff. I don't know when I'd print 17" wide... I do a fair amount of document printing on an Epson NX420 , but I'm constantly changing those inks. Would it be stupid to print documents on the P800 as the ink is so much less and cartridges so much bigger? Can it print documents or is it made for photo paper.

If I could use it to print more of what I do then it might make sense... I have to pull the trigger before I lose the rebates on Oct. 31st.

-- hide signature --
Backdoctor

digidog wrote:

Backdoctor wrote:

Charles

No, other than a waste of ink.

And as someone who's actually owned both the P600 and P800 since they day they shipped (be sure to ask, many post without a lick of experience) I can tell you that you can go months without a clog on either being used. Same with my 3880.

I never used the R3000 for documents, only photos. I dont see why it would be an issue, and the ink is certainly cheaper than the NX420. I print photos periodically, document weekly.

Not at all an issue. Just expensive ink but then there's another reason to consider the larger ink carts on the P800!

Andrew,

Thanks for the input. The inks on the NX420 run about $13 per for 6-7ml. Wouldn't the ink on the P800 be cheaper overall for documents? That would also prevent wasting ink on nozzle checks and head cleanings, no?

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Backdoctor

Charles2 wrote:

Backdoctor wrote:

I understand about printing B&W. I do a fair amount of color documents, so that should help.  thank you

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Backdoctor

Iliah Borg wrote:

Hi Harris,

If P800 fits into the budget, it is a better choice, especially if you are going to print on Epson paper using Epson colour profiles.

Backdoctor wrote:

The issue, I don't print THAT many photos. I plan to do more printing of my wildlife and sports shots. Also some family stuff. I don't know when I'd print 17" wide... I do a fair amount of document printing on an Epson NX420 , but I'm constantly changing those inks. Would it be stupid to print documents on the P800 as the ink is so much less and cartridges so much bigger? Can it print documents or is it made for photo paper.

Hi Iliah!

It's been a long time. Miss chatting with you. Hope you and the family are all well. Lots of changes on my end. If you ever have time to chat, let me know.

I have ALWAYS used Epson inks and papers with their profiles. I would like to try the Hahnemeule sampler I bought years ago but have to decide what image for what paper. i'm always afraid I'd screw it up.... and waste that fine paper.

Thank you for your help, keep in touch.

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Veteran Member • Posts: 9,308

Backdoctor wrote:

What types of "documents" do you print?

I primarily use my P800 for printing photos.

I use a color laser printer for most non-photo printing at 8.5 by 11 or smaller.  I could print these on the P800, but the laser printer is faster, and is better at text on plain paper.

For documents larger than 8.5 by 11, I use the P800. It easily prints on generic 11x17 copies paper from my local office supply store.   I also have some Epson 17x22 matte paper for printing text, line art, etc.

I also have an old Artisan 800 series printer.  It only gets used for inkjet printable optical media.

I am very happy with the above combination.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135

Backdoctor wrote:

Thanks for the input. The inks on the NX420 run about $13 per for 6-7ml. Wouldn't the ink on the P800 be cheaper overall for documents? That would also prevent wasting ink on nozzle checks and head cleanings, no?

I'm not Digidog, but it seems obvious that compared to a standard cheapo Epson or Canon desktop printer, it would be cheaper to print documents on the 3880 or P800.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

Backdoctor
Question about the resolution...

Not that it matters but why does Epson have the P800 as 2880x1440 and the P600 as 5760x1440?  I dont always fully understand all that....

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

David Pavlich
David Pavlich Senior Member • Posts: 3,504

The ink per ML is less expensive with the P800.  I've used mine a couple of times to print documents and it's fine for that as well.

One thing you'll find if you get the 600 is that there will come a time when you realize that you should have gotten the 800 for the better paper option including paper width and the roll option.

David

-- hide signature --

A computer once beat me at chess, but was no match for me at kick boxing.
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
Backdoctor
Ordered the P800, should be here today

Ordered the P800 and should  be here today.

I swapped ink to matte black on the R3000. Checked nozzles and printed a pattern that was fine. Printed a document, no black blotches

Do you think I can sell it as a Matte black printer only?

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

David Pavlich
Re: Ordered the P800, should be here today

If I were selling it, I'd let it be known that you've changed the black inks, but I wouldn't make the claim that it's a matte printer only since it can be changed back to a glossy/satin printer just as easily.

Congratulations on your P800!  I just did a bunch of 16X24s on mine and they look great.  You won't regret the purchase.  Did you order the roll paper mount?  I know it's extra photobucks, but I have no regrets.

David

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
Backdoctor

David Pavlich wrote:

If I were selling it, I'd let it be known that you've changed the black inks, but I wouldn't make the claim that it's a matte printer only since it can be changed back to a glossy/satin printer just as easily.

Congratulations on your P800! I just did a bunch of 16X24s on mine and they look great. You won't regret the purchase. Did you order the roll paper mount? I know it's extra photobucks, but I have no regrets.

David

Hi David,

I would let the person know about the issue with the glossy ink and the ink blobs. Who knows, maybe it will work better for them than me.

No , didn't get the roll paper mount. Maybe down the road. I have a ton of 8.5x11 Epson premium glossy and ultra premium glossy paper.

Thanks,

H

PS. Hope I can lift this beast up in the box....

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

David Pavlich

The weight isn't much different from Canon's Pro 100 which surprised me.  You won't have any problem getting the thing onto a stand.  Search really well.  Epson has an abundance of that blue tape and it's everywhere.

One thing to mention and you may have seen a thread or two about it.  When printing 17" sheet paper, it tends to shift when it's pulled into the machine.  It's one of two complaints that I have about the machine.

My "cure" for the shift is to place a block of sticky notes on the vertical paper support right against the paper.  Here's a picture of the fix.  Note the massive amount of engineering that went into this:

You do have to remove the back sheet from the sticky notes to expose the sticky.  I also put my thumbnail against the other side just in case.  Once it's in and starts to print, it's fine.  It's the way the the rolls are set up.  Canon's idea of centering the paper is another cue that Epson should look at.

David

-- hide signature --

Backdoctor

David

I like the McGyver fix. This thing is a beast, I had to have my daughter help me get the box in the car. I have some shoulder issues.

Hope to set it up soon, heading to Orlando after work tomorrow for the Epcot Food and Wine Experience.

Will let you know how it goes.

Have a great weekend

-- hide signature --

Harris
www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads