Even updated to latest firmware (lens and camera), Eye AF is still limited

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
huremics Regular Member • Posts: 267
Even updated to latest firmware (lens and camera), Eye AF is still limited

Using the A7rii in AF-C with the 85mm GM 1.4, Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4, and Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8, with all firmare updated for both camera and lenses, I find Eye AF to be quite limited. When shooting even at 1.4 or 1.8, I observe the following:

- Eye AF does work in scenarios with: lots of light, a subject whose head is straight and who is looking directly at the camera with both eyes open. The most "vanilla" or conventional shooting conditions possible.

But only about 50% of my portraits are like that. Beyond that, Eye AF falls down for me in virtually every other situation.

I find it especially frustrating it's not possible to easily toggle between eyes to focus on. Bizarrely, the Eye-AF function likes to select an eye that has hair or some other thing partially covering it, and not the other eye that is completely visible.

I very much hope that Sony can refine this feature and make Eye-AF a lot more flexible and capable in finding the eye in a greater variety of shooting situations.

Is this the experience others are having with the Eye-AF feature? Are there any suggestions folks have, who find the feature to be more adept at working in a greater variety of shooting situations?

rogerjosem
rogerjosem Senior Member • Posts: 1,724
Re: Even updated to latest firmware (lens and camera), Eye AF is still limited

huremics wrote:

Using the A7rii in AF-C with the 85mm GM 1.4, Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4, and Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8, with all firmare updated for both camera and lenses, I find Eye AF to be quite limited. When shooting even at 1.4 or 1.8, I observe the following:

- Eye AF does work in scenarios with: lots of light, a subject whose head is straight and who is looking directly at the camera with both eyes open. The most "vanilla" or conventional shooting conditions possible.

But only about 50% of my portraits are like that. Beyond that, Eye AF falls down for me in virtually every other situation.

I find it especially frustrating it's not possible to easily toggle between eyes to focus on. Bizarrely, the Eye-AF function likes to select an eye that has hair or some other thing partially covering it, and not the other eye that is completely visible.

I very much hope that Sony can refine this feature and make Eye-AF a lot more flexible and capable in finding the eye in a greater variety of shooting situations.

Is this the experience others are having with the Eye-AF feature? Are there any suggestions folks have, who find the feature to be more adept at working in a greater variety of shooting situations?

I don´t have the A9, but I would really like a solution to enable forcing eye-AF to select the eye you want in the A7RII too...

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony Alpha a7R II +13 more
OP huremics Regular Member • Posts: 267

I also find that, if only a single eye is visible, then the Eye-AF rarely works.

It seems like the engineers created Eye-AF to require two eyes being almost exactly level and mostly facing the camera directly in order to work. This is very limiting for more dynamic and creative shoots.

kilofox Regular Member • Posts: 492

Unless you are doing a headshot or similar with a shallow depth of field.. then why even bother with Eye AF when Face Detect will do?

kilofox's gear list:kilofox's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +5 more
OP huremics Regular Member • Posts: 267

Shooting at 1.4-2.0 it's nicer if the camera can focus directly on the eye, instead of having the nose sharp and the eyes blurry.

Yes, I do shoot manually sometimes, but that's a very slow process and sometimes when shooting with models, a more dynamic tempo yields more emotion and expressiveness.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads