Question about APS-H sensor size

Started Oct 23, 2017 | Discussions
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358
Question about APS-H sensor size

I'd always thought that APS-H (e.g. 1D II, 1D III, 1D IV not 1DS series) was based on a 1.3x crop factor, either a 519mm or 548mm squared sensor. I don't know which is correct.

Lightroom 6 recently told me when browsing through focal lengths that the crop factor was only 1.26x to get the lens equivalency. Who is right? If Lightroom is wrong, any idea where they pulled this figure from?

Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,327
Depends

fishy wishy wrote:

I'd always thought that APS-H (e.g. 1D II, 1D III, 1D IV not 1DS series) was based on a 1.3x crop factor, either a 519mm or 548mm squared sensor. I don't know which is correct.

Lightroom 6 recently told me when browsing through focal lengths that the crop factor was only 1.26x to get the lens equivalency. Who is right? If Lightroom is wrong, any idea where they pulled this figure from?

APS-H:

Actual multiplier factor is 1.255× for the 1D Digital, 1.28× for the Canon EOS-1D Mark III and 1.29× for the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV. Leica M8 is 1.33×

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,711
Re: Depends

Mako2011 wrote:

fishy wishy wrote:

APS-H:

Actual multiplier factor is 1.255× for the 1D Digital, 1.28× for the Canon EOS-1D Mark III and 1.29× for the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV. Leica M8 is 1.33×

maybe canon round up their numbers to 1.3x crop factor for being so close?

mayfair_magpie
mayfair_magpie Regular Member • Posts: 146
Re: Depends

1.3 is correct to 1 decimal place

-- hide signature --

in black and white, everyone's a hero

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads