How bad is wireless flash with Sony?

Started Oct 23, 2017 | Discussions
jamesdylangoldstein Forum Member • Posts: 61
How bad is wireless flash with Sony?

I'm sold on mirrorless technology and almost ready do dive into Sony.  But when researching wireless flash systems for Sony, a good chunk of what I've read is horror stories.  First their highest power flash has over-heating problems and wireless issues.  Then I read that the pin design has flaws.  Then I see I can pre-order the new Flashpoint transmitter, but only for Canon and Nikon (the old one has complaints).  Then I read that certain Flashpoint lights for Sony have problems with TTL and HSS (update this, try this setting, still not working then try this, etc.).

On the other hand, Canon and Nikon have a full-gamut of options.  So are these things I'm reading the Sony hotshoe design old and overblown?

stjarvis Regular Member • Posts: 265
Re: How bad is wireless flash with Sony?

I use godox, yongnuo, and pcb Einsteins with my A7RII, and the only issue I've had is with the cybercommander rebooting the einsteins when used on camera.

The TTL, and HSS on the godox speed light work fine on camera, I've only used it as a manual flash off camera.

-- hide signature --
 stjarvis's gear list:stjarvis's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +10 more
BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 7,555
n/t

n/t

vett93
vett93 Senior Member • Posts: 4,255
Flashpoint/Godox wireless TTL does not work with Sony A7x with wide aperture

If you try to use aperture brighter than F4, the TTL underexposes the images. The larger the aperture, the serious the problem is. This applies to AD600, AD200, and V860II. They also have color shifting problems with one uses 1/128 power. Other than these, they work pretty good.

-- hide signature --

"Keep calm and take photos"
Photography enthusiast, from 12mm to 500mm

vett93's gear list:vett93's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,004

I'm currently using three HVL-F58AMs controlled by an HVL-F20M on either an a7R II or RX10 III and I don't have any problems at all. Admittedly, I'm working indoors on static subjects but I get excellent exposures almost every time.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 3,254

I have used three Sony F60M for some years now, without problems. Sometimes there is a small delay from the camera release button is pushed until the flashes fires, which can be a bit annoying. I use these flashes with Phottix radio triggers too, no problems.

I have also used Elinchrom studio flashes and Elinchrom battery pack flashes for outdoor work , and Bowens studio flashes without any problem.

I think it is worth to dig a bit into those horror stories to find out what they actually are about.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,936

Just to give you some insight, Godox (or their rebrands) do have their problems, so I wouldn't aim it all at Sony.

Back in Canon land, the V860II-C & X1T-C both lost a lot of functionality with the 5D4 - all of which couldn't be sorted with firmware. You then had the lottery of trying to find serial numbers, and getting in contact with Godox to check functionality on specific models.

So yes, the Godox system won't be perfect - but it won't be solely down to Sony.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
OP jamesdylangoldstein Forum Member • Posts: 61

Ok, all of this sounds pretty reasonable.  My hope is that the camera released on Wed. will be something like the a7RII with dual card slots.  If it's not dual card, then I'll probably try to buy a D850.

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,339
...Or - how good it's ;-) ...n/t
-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads