Calling all Panasonic GX80/85 (Or similar) Owners!

Started Oct 21, 2017 | Discussions
thomas610 Forum Member • Posts: 50
Calling all Panasonic GX80/85 (Or similar) Owners!

Can anyone with a panasonic GX80/GX85 or very similar model let me know how the camera fares when taking urban night photography? I'm struggling to find any samples. Thanks

Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 6,748
Re: Calling all Panasonic GX80/85 (Or similar) Owners!

thomas610 wrote:

Can anyone with a panasonic GX80/GX85 or very similar model let me know how the camera fares when taking urban night photography? I'm struggling to find any samples. Thanks

It's OK.

You're welcome.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,870
use imaging-resource.com, find iso3200/6400 still life

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

select your camera, and scroll down to the bottom, you will see a series of LowLight iso still live.  For me, the most useful are iso3200 and iso6400.

When I shoot @night with my Panasonic GF6, I found myself @the mercy of

• ISO3200 with Panasonic 15mm f/1.7 (fast prime helps to lower iso)
  • ISO6400 with slower Panasonic kit zoom (with help of image stabilization)

So if you want to shoot lowlight with Panasonic 12-32 kit zoom, I found myself hitting the iso6400 wall fairly quickly.

Image Resource iso3200/6400 test shots allow you to compare high iso images.  Generally, you will find Olympus enjoy about 1~2 stop of high iso advantage over Panasonic.  So if you shoot @night regularly, you might want to buy an Olympus instead,.

kristian2000
kristian2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,501

thomas610 wrote:

I think the G85 is acceptable. No, it's not going to be as good as a full frame or current aps-c cameras, but especially when paired with the PL 15mm f/1.7 you can make photos at night. Below are a few from a trip to NYC last year, GX85 paired w/PL 15mm

-- hide signature --

Kristian

kristian2000's gear list:kristian2000's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3
hectorpatrick Junior Member • Posts: 47

The GX80/85 is good for low light photography, particularly with any of the newer lenses that will allow Dual IS or Dual IS2 so that you can keep the shutter speed low and therefore the ISO rate as well. Even better, use the electronic shutter, but be aware that that this is only really suitable for static subjects.

hectorpatrick's gear list:hectorpatrick's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
rashid7
rashid7 Senior Member • Posts: 3,338

just a couple "reality check" responses to other posts.  Most Oly cameras use the same sensor as Lumix, so no diff in useable ISO!  (in-camera JPEG processing does differ slightly).

The old sensor in the 1st EM5 and the newer 20 MP sensors (manufactured by Sony) yield less noise on long exposures, but selecting the in-camera long exposure NR pretty much takes care of that issue anyway.

The E-shuter on GX85 leaves less latitude in bringing up shadows due to it giving only a 10 bit color file.  It generally has no advantage over the excellent"soft" mechanical shutter on those cameras.

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

tt321
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,049
It's fine, but no miracles

There was a lot of exposure compression in post, so some of the darker areas have been lifted quite a bit.

ZeBebito
ZeBebito Regular Member • Posts: 311

kristian2000 wrote:

thomas610 wrote:

I think the G85 is acceptable. No, it's not going to be as good as a full frame or current aps-c cameras, but especially when paired with the PL 15mm f/1.7 you can make photos at night. Below are a few from a trip to NYC last year, GX85 paired w/PL 15mm

Very nice captures!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

-- hide signature --

Focus on what's important

ZeBebito's gear list:ZeBebito's gear list
Leica M8 Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
alcelc
alcelc Veteran Member • Posts: 9,604
Better than the older pany models...

Because of the powerful Dual IS, it can generally cover most of my travelling need, day or night. ISO3200 is better than GX7 and ISO6400 is usable. For general low lighting shots fast speed lens is no longer a must for me.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +8 more
Stejo
Stejo Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

I've done my fair share of urban night photography on a G7 which is quite similar to the GX80. All you need is a decent prime. Say f/2 or better, that's acceptably sharp wide open.

Long as you stay below ISO1600 everything's fine. If you have to go to ISO3200 or god forbid 6400 it's rarely pretty.

That's assuming you care to keep the moving parts somewhat sharp, so 1/50 is the slowest shutter you'd be willing to use. Otherwise, with the IBIS on the GX80 if you're shooting still life, you don't really care if it's night or day.

Stejo's gear list:Stejo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +6 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,228

thomas610 wrote:

If ISO3200 is fast enough for you, then I think the camera is quite acceptable. I use a G85 which should have the same performance as the GX80/85. ISO3200 paired with a fast prime (f/1.7, for example) can cover a lot of low light shooting.  But even f/2.8 is fast enough for me, a lot of the time.

Sucama
Sucama Regular Member • Posts: 371

some shots from Salamanca...

Sucama's gear list:Sucama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads