LX100 vs D-Lux typ 109 ... warranty makes the Leica cheap(-er-) !

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
camfan1 Contributing Member • Posts: 706
LX100 vs D-Lux typ 109 ... warranty makes the Leica cheap(-er-) !

Hi all,

FWIW.

My Leica D-Lux typ 109 was repaired/cleaned for a second time in 3 years, completely for free.

As I read here some people may have problems when their LX100 has a dust issue (or other) my experience with Leica repair/warranty service may be of value.

Since I use my D-Lux *very* much (far over 20.000 pics in less than 3 years) it may not be unusual for cheap cameras (not meant for pro use) to exibit signs of wear.

I returned my Leica 109(LX100) just before my 3 free years of free repairs+cleaning were over.

The camera just got returned to me today.

What was done to it, 100% for free :

- Cleaning of CCD (2 dust spots)

- repair of zoom lever

- complete replacement of the Diopter (EVF, wheel etc)

- Eyecup replacement

- control of all other parts

- complete cleaning of the camera

- test-demo unit while under repair

- return in a black Leica box (yes ... even with the red dot on it :-))

IMHO it is, again, as good as new and I sure hope to keep it that way till, one nice day, an LX200 / type 209 (?) is born !

Without the 3-year Leica warranty my camera (if it were an LX100 without that 3 year period) might/would have been replaced because of the cost to repair (?).

Sincere regards,

Stefaan

camfan1's gear list:camfan1's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lindsay D Contributing Member • Posts: 630
Re: LX100 vs D-Lux typ 109 ... warranty makes the Leica cheap(-er-) !

I bought an LX100 and I got a free 5 year Panasonic warranty with it as part of a promotion. This should cover me if I suffer the dreaded dust problem. Mine is a late model so maybe the QC on that front has been improved - time will tell.

-- hide signature --

www.lindsaydobsonphotography.com

Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,223

camfan1 wrote:

Hi all,

FWIW.

My Leica D-Lux typ 109 was repaired/cleaned for a second time in 3 years, completely for free.

As I read here some people may have problems when their LX100 has a dust issue (or other) my experience with Leica repair/warranty service may be of value.

Since I use my D-Lux *very* much (far over 20.000 pics in less than 3 years) it may not be unusual for cheap cameras (not meant for pro use) to exibit signs of wear.

I returned my Leica 109(LX100) just before my 3 free years of free repairs+cleaning were over.

The camera just got returned to me today.

What was done to it, 100% for free :

- Cleaning of CCD (2 dust spots)

- repair of zoom lever

- complete replacement of the Diopter (EVF, wheel etc)

- Eyecup replacement

- control of all other parts

- complete cleaning of the camera

- test-demo unit while under repair

- return in a black Leica box (yes ... even with the red dot on it :-))

IMHO it is, again, as good as new and I sure hope to keep it that way till, one nice day, an LX200 / type 209 (?) is born !

Without the 3-year Leica warranty my camera (if it were an LX100 without that 3 year period) might/would have been replaced because of the cost to repair (?).

Sincere regards,

Stefaan

Sounds like a lot of problems for a three year old camera.

Anyway, almost all Panasonic cameras are eligible for an extended 3-year warranty right now.

Not sure when the offer expires or if it applies to all countries.

Nothing against the Leica type 109 and when Leica offered a copy of Lightroom with their cameras I always thought that made the price of their Panasonic clones more reasonable.

Leica does have very good customer support but I've just never been able to justify spending the extra money.

Some people over at the Leica forum claim there's a difference in image quality but I've never been able to distinguish between the cameras.

OP camfan1 Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Re: LX100 vs D-Lux typ 109 ... build like a tank ...

Hi Ed B,

You wrote "Sounds like a lot of problems for a three year old camera...".

May seems like it, but as I also indicated I consider most/all of it to be normal wear.

This is of course *not* a (+)5.000 USD Leica Pro camera ... this is a consumer! Pana / Leica hybrid.

It was, IMHO, meant for casual use.

But I took it with me all across the globe under all weather conditions.

Took tens-of-thousands of pics with it in those 2-3 years.

I sure believe few other non-pro cameras would do any better.

It costed me 0 euro to get it reconditioned in those 3 years.

It served me very well indeed.

My former Leica D-Lux 4 / LX3 didn't even need any repair, nor de-dusting, in the 3 years I owned it (similar use), that's true.

Now my beloved 109 is, again, in mint condition (fingers crossed).

Regards,

Stefaan

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
kwa_photo
kwa_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,352

I have a 109 too. May I ask, why did you send it in for cleaning? Was there an issue OR was it just to be proactive? I'm considering the same on mine. No issues at all (other than the anti-reflective coating on the LCD is pretty much gone and spotty) with operation here...but would be nice to have it cleaned and remain in service I bought my in the Sept 2015.

Camfam1, are you in the USA?  If so, where did you send your 109 to for service?

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (Please PM vs. a public post if you have concerns or questions about the forum)

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +4 more
Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,223
Re: LX100 vs D-Lux typ 109 ... build like a tank ...

camfan1 wrote:

Hi Ed B,

You wrote "Sounds like a lot of problems for a three year old camera...".

May seems like it, but as I also indicated I consider most/all of it to be normal wear.

This is of course *not* a (+)5.000 USD Leica Pro camera ... this is a consumer! Pana / Leica hybrid.

It was, IMHO, meant for casual use.

But I took it with me all across the globe under all weather conditions.

Took tens-of-thousands of pics with it in those 2-3 years.

I sure believe few other non-pro cameras would do any better.

It costed me 0 euro to get it reconditioned in those 3 years.

It served me very well indeed.

My former Leica D-Lux 4 / LX3 didn't even need any repair, nor de-dusting, in the 3 years I owned it (similar use), that's true.

Now my beloved 109 is, again, in mint condition (fingers crossed).

Regards,

Stefaan

Yes, you're right and having it serviced/repaired by Leica after 3-years is impressive.

OP camfan1 Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Re: LX100 vs D-Lux typ 109 ... refurb - Fujifilm XT-2 ...

Hi again Ken,

I live in Belgium, Europe.

The Leica 109/LX100 was bought in a camera shop where both Leica(/pana) and Fujifilm are highly regarded and recommended by the owner.

In Europe Leica is a good idea because ow the incredible warranty record (3 years vs 2 years) and price differences between Leica and Panasonic versions of a camera are not big at all !

My typ 109 had 2 dust spots on 2 occasions within 3 years and that was the main reason I sent it in again.

However, the second time many more, lets say inconveniences, made me ask for a revision of averything and Leica Belgium identified even more than I did and fixed it (with new replacement parts) ... 100% for free. I even felt it would have been cheaper (labour/hours) for them to simply send me a new one right away

Unfortunately Ken I can't help you since the conditions of (Leica?) service in the US of A may be quite different, dunno.

[Note to Ken - FWIW - Regarding Fujifilm ... it was my dream to get to test the incredible XT-2 and when the shop owner told my I could, again, pick a DEMO unit to test in the mean time (of repair), I was surprised I got a ... DEMO Fujifilm XT-2 with 18-55 kit lens (could even take the Fuji PRO 16-55 F2.8 but that lens was, IMHO, a little bit heavy for carrying around everywhere). Probably won't surprise you the XT-2 really is a photographer's dream come true ! But, OTOH, to be honest about this I still prefer my trusty light compact 109 to *always* be with me on hiking/photo trips. But Fujifilm (XT-2) ... yes ... fantastic stuff... that cool big OLED EVF ... a joy to shoot with ... a joy just like ... my now 3 year old 109 :-)]

Sincere regards,

Stefaan

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads