Canon 4K MJPEG video for stills saved my day

Started Oct 21, 2017 | Discussions
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 457
Canon 4K MJPEG video for stills saved my day

Many has criticized Canon for using MJPEG for 4K on their DSLRs. I am a fan of having MJPEG as an option for getting high quality stills out of a video stream and yesterday that feature saved my photos. I think many posters here do not recognize the value of Canon's 4K implementation for stills in special situations.

I went to a sea battle event yesterday where I first tried to get ordinary photos. But of cause I couldn't get the timing with the cannons right. So I switched to 4K video and extracted the stills as JPEG and PP'ed in PS with some highlight reduction, shadow lift and foreground / background noise reduction. The JPEGs of cause had less headroom and DR for PP than RAWs but I am pleased to have that option when RAW is not an option.

I think you should consider 4K MJPEG before your next purchase.

- Bjarne

After extracting stills from MJPEG and some PP I got these pictures for my own private usage

The frigate is the beautiful Russian "Shtandart" sailing under Danish flag at this event

We had a lot of rain affecting the colors and the mood of the pictures

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 +20 more
rxb dc Senior Member • Posts: 2,103
Re: Canon 4K MJPEG video for stills saved my day

Myrgjorf wrote:

Many has criticized Canon for using MJPEG for 4K on their DSLRs. I am a fan of having MJPEG as an option for getting high quality stills out of a video stream and yesterday that feature saved my photos. I think many posters here do not recognize the value of Canon's 4K implementation for stills in special situations.

I went to a sea battle event yesterday where I first tried to get ordinary photos. But of cause I couldn't get the timing with the cannons right. So I switched to 4K video and extracted the stills as JPEG and PP'ed in PS with some highlight reduction, shadow lift and foreground / background noise reduction. The JPEGs of cause had less headroom and DR for PP than RAWs but I am pleased to have that option when RAW is not an option.

Nice photographs and I agree, mjpeg is sometimes the way to go.

I have used mine for hummingbirds but rolling shutter seems to be an issue, less so for your example. I used M so I could set a higher shutter speed.

And just to note - sometime a 4mpix image with the right subject  is better than a 30mpix image of nothing  

- Bjarne

After extracting stills from MJPEG and some PP I got these pictures for my own private usage

The frigate is the beautiful Russian "Shtandart" sailing under Danish flag at this event

-- hide signature --

Safety Warning: Bad taste unmitigated by moderate skill

rxb dc's gear list:rxb dc's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +9 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,044

Good post and great information. Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,415

rxb dc wrote:

Myrgjorf wrote:

Nice photographs and I agree, mjpeg is sometimes the way to go.

I have used mine for hummingbirds but rolling shutter seems to be an issue, less so for your example. I used M so I could set a higher shutter speed.

And just to note - sometime a 4mpix image with the right subject is better than a 30mpix image of nothing

Agreed. Also, 4k is 8MP but doesn't change your point.

Personally I don't get the concern about mjpeg. It's effectively all I-frames and many complain about not having an all I-frame mode with the 6D2.

Not staying I would never use a top quality H.265 format but if I could only record one format at time I would always choose mjpeg over H.265 for the flexibility. A $3000 camera (or $7000 for the 1DX2) and several $k in lenses and people quibbling about a couple of extra cheap flash cards.

- Bjarne

-- hide signature --

Safety Warning: Bad taste unmitigated by moderate skill

Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 2,358

Frame grab work well if there is not much movement. Typical shutter speed for 30p would be 1/60s which does not gurantee frame grab w/o motion blur. 100-150 mbps H264 should provide similar quality 8MP frame grab. Canon uses mjpeg codec because it doesn’t overheat the camera at all, pretty much no compression.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
OP Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 457

Alexsfo wrote:

Frame grab work well if there is not much movement. Typical shutter speed for 30p would be 1/60s which does not gurantee frame grab w/o motion blur.

This thread is not about grapping frames from a video stream optimized for video but grapping high quality JPEG stills from a video stream optimized for stills. You can select shutter speed for you still need (within the video FPS limit). In this case I used 1/25s in a 25 FPS video because of the lightning condition. You wouldn't normally do that for pure video.

Canon 4K MJPEG effectively gives you a 25 - 60 FPS 8.8 MP JPEG camera for special use cases. That is what I want.

100-150 mbps H264 should provide similar quality 8MP frame grab.

No, H.264 is optimized for video, not for stills. JPEG is optimized for stills, not for video. JPEG will have a better IQ for each still than H.264

Canon uses mjpeg codec because it doesn’t overheat the camera at all, pretty much no compression.

So JPEG is not compressed! Compression is the purpose of JPEG. But MJPEG has no cross-frame video compression. And of cause the output stream is much larger with MJPEG than with H.264 but that is only a minor issue in this use case.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 +20 more
Yossarian1
Yossarian1 Regular Member • Posts: 328

Thanks for this post.  I wondered how effective the frame grabbing was out of the 4K.  I am impressed.

Yossarian1's gear list:Yossarian1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R6 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads