Best general lens for 80D?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
OP patientfool New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Best general lens for 80D?

Dr_Jon wrote:

It's tricky as there isn't one perfect lens. You presumably want sharp, a decent range of focal lengths and not to be dreadful in low light.

Ya mostly i'm interested in sharpness and focal length range. I find i use the 15-50ish range quite a bit especially at the wider end around 18-30. It doesn't necessarily have to be low light, just high image quality.

Do you think all these lenses you're mentioning have a better image quality then my current 18-55?

zman2596 wrote:

Sigma 17-50 2.8 is nice.

Hmm looks pretty interesting and people seem to like it's sharpness. I wonder how it compares to my 18-55. Might give that one a try even though it's pretty cheap. Wish there was an L in a similar focal length for my camera but I guess i'd need to go FF for that.

checkmate91 Regular Member • Posts: 209

BAK's right, think about FLs and "requirements"

Also, look back at your portfolio for the focal length you use the most. I have a 15-85 (which I think is great, incidentally) but now use primarily ef-s24 and ef35 primes and haven't looked back.

checkmate91's gear list:checkmate91's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 280

checkmate91 wrote:

Also, look back at your portfolio for the focal length you use the most. I have a 15-85 (which I think is great, incidentally) but now use primarily ef-s24 and ef35 primes and haven't looked back.

I have an 18-135 stm that's great for vacations etc. But when not on vacation I use a 35mm and 50mm prime the most.

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,997

patientfool wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

It's tricky as there isn't one perfect lens. You presumably want sharp, a decent range of focal lengths and not to be dreadful in low light.

Ya mostly i'm interested in sharpness and focal length range. I find i use the 15-50ish range quite a bit especially at the wider end around 18-30. It doesn't necessarily have to be low light, just high image quality.

Do you think all these lenses you're mentioning have a better image quality then my current 18-55?

Canon have been doing pretty well in making the kit lenses sharp due to limited zoom range and limited aperture. However I do think it can be improved on. You could play about a bit here...
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1112&Camera=963&Sample=0&FLI=2&API=1&LensComp=675&CameraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=1

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +28 more
jjz2 Regular Member • Posts: 380

checkmate91 wrote:

I shoot similar. I was using a wider angle but recently got the 15-85 to replace. I was doing too many lens swaps at the 18mm cut off. The 15 end is justttt wide enough where I don't really want the 10-18 anymore. It makes more of a difference indoors where I was using it than outdoors IMO (effective 24mm vs 29mm). The 15-85 is also sharppp, at least my copy, nice bokeh too at close ups. The 15-85 is a chunk of glass though, does not feel cheap, it's solid, 72mm filters, similar to the 17-40L if you ask me in size weight.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Andy01 Contributing Member • Posts: 918

jjz2 wrote:

BAK wrote:

Listed where?

BAK

He means listed on the lens.

Focal length is always exact on the lens, never seen one that isn't.

And if you could mount an 18-55 EF-S lens on Canon full frame, it would be a wide angle lens, just vignette. Some brands you can do this and at some focal lengths it is fine, or won't vignette when stopped down. (see nikon 35mm 1.8dx)

Thank you.

Not a difficult concept. Seems like some people like nit-picking and try to be argumentative

Let me re-phrase for the benefit of those amongst us you struggle to understand simple concepts.

The stated focal length as printed on the lens, the Canon website etc for EF, EF-S and EF-M lenses is always the effective focal length in 35mm or FF terms and any of these lenses fitted to a APS-C or crop frame camera body will need to be multiplied by the 1.6x crop multiplier.

Does that make more sense ?

The point was simple. The OP seemed to be under the impression that his 18-55mm EF-S lens on his 80D gave him an effective range of 18-55mm, whereas the 16-35mm EF lens would give him a range of 16mm x 1.6 to 35mm x 1.6, which was an incorrect assumption.

All clear now ?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +1 more
Andy01 Contributing Member • Posts: 918

patientfool wrote:

zman2596 wrote:

Sigma 17-50 2.8 is nice.

Hmm looks pretty interesting and people seem to like it's sharpness. I wonder how it compares to my 18-55. Might give that one a try even though it's pretty cheap. Wish there was an L in a similar focal length for my camera but I guess i'd need to go FF for that.

Be cautious of the Sigma 17-50 f2.8. It "can" be sharp but it is well known to have AF accuracy issues. Do a search here and you will find several threads talking about issues with this lens.

I had one on my 70D and when it got it right, it was nice and sharp, but too often it was not quite right and resulted in a soft or just plain out of focus image. I sold it after a year or two. I also had to try 4 lenses in the shop before I got one that wasn't soft in the lower left corner. Buyer beware.

I would agree with some above that if you want to retain a wider angle capability and have a better EF-S lens then the 15-85EFS is probably your best bet. If you want longer reach then 18-135 EFS. If you are not as fussy about the wide end and want something a little faster at zoom, higher quality and have a thought of potentially moving to FF, then the 24-105L IS EF is a good option (the original version is probably a similar price to the 15-85).

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +1 more

Canon have been doing pretty well in making the kit lenses sharp due to limited zoom range and limited aperture. However I do think it can be improved on. You could play about a bit here...
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1112&Camera=963&Sample=0&FLI=2&API=1&LensComp=675&CameraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=1

thats a fantastic tool! thanks for sharing it..

dpreviewreader80 Regular Member • Posts: 107

what's wrong with Tamron 17-50 2.8  its sharper all around on the digital picture

I think its best value for money and fixed canon 24mm 2.8 everything else its not worth the money canon 15-85 its ridiciolously  expensive..canon kit lenses are terible.

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,325

dpreviewreader80 wrote:

what's wrong with Tamron 17-50 2.8 its sharper all around on the digital picture

I think its best value for money and fixed canon 24mm 2.8 everything else its not worth the money canon 15-85 its ridiciolously expensive..canon kit lenses are terible.

The two Tamron 17-50 f/2.8's are not bad lenses, but their focus and zoom rings run backwards compared to Canon's lenses. That is OK if you are NEVER in a hurry to take a picture or if it is the only lens you use. They are around half the cost of a 15-85, but nowhere near as sharp, particularly the stabilized version of the 17-50. The 17-50 lenses need to be stopped down for acceptable edge sharpness, negating the value of the f/2.8 aperture . Oh, yes, no FTM (full time manual) focus override, either.

The 15-85 focuses faster, is quieter, much sharper, wider range, and is not very expensive compared to other lenses of its quality. Mine is worth more to me that what it cost. I haven't found a better walk-around lens at any price.

As for Canon's kit lenses, all the ones that I have had have been pretty darn good, especially if you consider their price.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 23,501

LURKERS.

Find another thread if you want accurate info about crop factors and focal lengths.

BAK

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,677

patientfool wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

The EFS 15-85 offers more angle, more telephoto, and observably better image quality than the 18-55. It is a far better lens for travel and family photos.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

The EFS 15-85 offers more angle, more telephoto, and observably better image quality than the 18-55. It is a far better lens for travel and family photos.

Thanks i'll give one a try!

FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 280

I really don't understand why people start the crop factor thing when apsc and lenses come up.

I shoot an 80D, I have no interest in getting a ff camera. To me my 50mm prime is 50mm and my 35mm is 35mm....why on earth would I care what the ff equivalent is?

Maybe I'm just making things too simple for my silly old self.

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Johnw12
Johnw12 Regular Member • Posts: 258

dpreviewreader80 wrote:

what's wrong with Tamron 17-50 2.8 its sharper all around on the digital picture

I think its best value for money and fixed canon 24mm 2.8 everything else its not worth the money canon 15-85 its ridiciolously expensive..canon kit lenses are terible.

Terrible? I think for the money they offer good value. Yes they have limitations but used well can take good pictures. No one ever told my pictures are no good because of my "kit" lens.

Johnw12's gear list:Johnw12's gear list
Olympus E-20 Canon EOS 80D
dpreviewreader80 Regular Member • Posts: 107
jjz2 Regular Member • Posts: 380

FooHead wrote:

I really don't understand why people start the crop factor thing when apsc and lenses come up.

I shoot an 80D, I have no interest in getting a ff camera. To me my 50mm prime is 50mm and my 35mm is 35mm....why on earth would I care what the ff equivalent is?

Maybe I'm just making things too simple for my silly old self.

It's just easier for lots of us to visualize that started with film. But if all you have ever known is aps-c then I guess it doesn't matter.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
papybenenuts
papybenenuts Regular Member • Posts: 400

perhaps this one

https://www.amazon.fr/Sigma-Objectif-18-35-HSM-ART/dp/B00DBL0NLQ

-- hide signature --

M.B.

papybenenuts's gear list:papybenenuts's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads