Ricoh GR II + GW-3: Feed for pixel peepers

Started Oct 19, 2017 | User reviews
CyeJoeBob Forum Member • Posts: 74
Ricoh GR II + GW-3: Feed for pixel peepers

So far, I couln't find full res image samples of the Ricoh GR with GW-3 wide angle converter. So here they are with a short analysis. All processed with LR 5.7 - standard setting with highlight/shadow adjustments.

My analysis:

Center: Almost no loss of sharpness.

Middle: Definitly a bit less sharp, but not much.

Corner: Definitly less sharp and some CA. But nevertheless an excellent performance for a convertion lens.

Flare: Quite resistent against the sun. More prone to flares when the sun comes from the side. The tiny lens hood doesn't help here.

14mm w/ converter

18mm w/o converter

CyeJoeBob's gear list:CyeJoeBob's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8
CyeJoeBob's score
Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
borderplatz Regular Member • Posts: 297
Re: Ricoh GR II + GW-3: Feed for pixel peepers

yes, my converter always suprises me, really like getting close, I use my xpro2 for awhile, then always come back to my GR2, great shots

Csetoue New Member • Posts: 16

Wonderfull shots.

Im wondering if i get one of these!

Overall do you think its worth?

Thanks

OP CyeJoeBob Forum Member • Posts: 74

It depends of what you are doing with your Ricoh GR. I think you won't use it very often for street photography. But it's great for landscape and your next sightseeing tour.

And I can't think of any 21mm lens that cheap and with such a great performance at the same time. So I would say it's a no brainer, especially if you can get a used one for less than 100$/€.

CyeJoeBob's gear list:CyeJoeBob's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Csetoue New Member • Posts: 16

CyeJoeBob wrote:

It depends of what you are doing with your Ricoh GR. I think you won't use it very often for street photography. But it's great for landscape and your next sightseeing tour.

And I can't think of any 21mm lens that cheap and with such a great performance at the same time. So I would say it's a no brainer, especially if you can get a used one for less than 100$/€.

I think I will get one of these.

Actually, I'm a bit concerned about having a lot of gear...

After I got my Ricoh GR, Im almost not touching my big dSLR anymore. I don't know if it's good or bad, but all my expenses on my big dSLR and its lenses are collecting dust.

I also thought in selling my GR, buying a better smartphone to take OK photos (not GR like, cause it's impossible), and trying to not ruin my investments on my dSLR stuff and taking it for a walk once a while.

$$$$$$$

The most probably decision is buying everything and keeping everything.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads