Loud rattling/noise from Sigma 17-50 autofocus?

Started Oct 18, 2017 | Discussions
Rootzy New Member • Posts: 1
Loud rattling/noise from Sigma 17-50 autofocus?

Hi everyone, first time posting!

So I just bought a new Sigma DC 17-55 f/2.8 EX HSM for my Canon 760D, but I noticed the autofocus is rather loud. I realise it's not meant to be really quiet but this just seems a little odd.

Here is a video for reference: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2hmpjNsv2IJjzGp82

Does anyone else have this lens, if so does it make that noise?

Canon EOS Rebel T6s (EOS 760D / EOS 8000D) Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Qimmiq Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: Loud rattling/noise from Sigma 17-50 autofocus?

Mine has always been noisy when the camera is off. It's the OS. If I turn the camera back on with OS turned on on the lens then the rattle goes away. I googled my issue before and came across several posts about it and apparently it's normal. Sorry, I haven't watched your video so don't know if it's the same issue you're having.

Edit..... just watched the video. Yes my focus sounds something like that too.

Qimmiq's gear list:Qimmiq's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
jitteringjr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,608

How are you making it ratchet and click like that during focus? Is that live view or through viewfinder AF? Mine doesn't make clicking sounds like that even when it's ratcheting to fine focus in live view. Mine is barely louder than my USM lenses.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +7 more
dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,894

jitteringjr wrote:

How are you making it ratchet and click like that during focus? Is that live view or through viewfinder AF? Mine doesn't make clicking sounds like that even when it's ratcheting to fine focus in live view. Mine is barely louder than my USM lenses.

same here, that lens is defective.

Henrik Herranen Senior Member • Posts: 1,725

dwalby wrote:

jitteringjr wrote:

Not so fast...

While the lens may very well be defective, I have some questions:

1) Did the OP point the camera at a blank wall or some other non-focusable object to make the camera AF back and forth? Perhaps the system is desperately making some steps to find something to focus on?

2) Could you, who have similar setups, try to repeat the circumstances I theorized about?

3) To the OP: do you get this AF stuttering even when you point your camera at something it can focus on?

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,894

Henrik Herranen wrote:

dwalby wrote:

jitteringjr wrote:

Not so fast...

While the lens may very well be defective, I have some questions:

1) Did the OP point the camera at a blank wall or some other non-focusable object to make the camera AF back and forth? Perhaps the system is desperately making some steps to find something to focus on?

I don't think it matters if its actually achieving focus or not, it shouldn't make that loud stuttering noise while moving the focus adjustment in/out.

2) Could you, who have similar setups, try to repeat the circumstances I theorized about?

yes, mine hunts about in almost total silence, its very quiet. Nothing even close to what the OP shows in his video.  Mine never exhibits that stuttering motion shown in the video, that doesn't seem normal.

3) To the OP: do you get this AF stuttering even when you point your camera at something it can focus on?

Henrik Herranen Senior Member • Posts: 1,725

dwalby wrote:

Henrik Herranen wrote:

yes, mine hunts about in almost total silence, its very quiet. Nothing even close to what the OP shows in his video. Mine never exhibits that stuttering motion shown in the video, that doesn't seem normal.

Then I think the thing is resolved: broken it is.

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads