X-T1 or X-T20?

Started Oct 17, 2017 | Discussions
biagiovanotto New Member • Posts: 7
X-T1 or X-T20?

Hi folks!

I do not trust used market so I always prefer to buy new items with guarantee.

Here in Europe I found the X-T1 (approx 700 bucks) and the X-T20 (800 bucks).

I can't buy more expensive cameras.

I like X-T1 because of its EVF and the more solid body. Anyway I know that X-T20 has a faster AF. Evend the X-E3 wold be a nice choice (pro the af joystick, cons the lacking of the tilting screen).

So I'm asking to everyone tried them if those prices are good; what do you suggest me; pros and cons of both cameras.

At this moment I'ma a Nikon user.

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 8,518
Re: X-T1 or X-T20?

biagiovanotto wrote:

Hi folks!

I like X-T1 because of its EVF and the more solid body. Anyway I know that X-T20 has a faster AF. Evend the X-E3 wold be a nice choice (pro the af joystick, cons the lacking of the tilting screen).

So I'm asking to everyone tried them if those prices are good; what do you suggest me; pros and cons of both cameras.

The X-T20 is also quite solid!! Don't ever think that the 20 is not well made. It doesn't offer WR though.

What the X-T20 offers that you won't get on the X-T1 is:

• Higher resolution
  • Much better dynamic range
  • RAW not limited to 20-6400
  • high ISO better, in particular when used at night when the contrast is harsh
  • touchscreen (also for touch to shoot with AF!!)
  • Better AF
  • Smaller (for some this is a feature rather than a disadvantage)
  • Faster processor

The feature that sticks out for me is the higher dynamic range as I often shoot at night and the extended ISO. Here is a photo taken at ISO6400 with the new sensor. I could not get those shots as easily with the X-T1.

The "only" light here was candle light

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
vegetaleb
vegetaleb Contributing Member • Posts: 892

I am plenty satisfied with my X-T10 so an X-T1 can be perfect for you, it depends where are your priorities, 24mp instead of 16mp, better video recording and higher native ISO are specs you should consider on the X-T20, personally I don't care about them but some people yes.

In the end it's the lenses that make the biggest difference in image quality

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,928

biagiovanotto wrote:

Hi folks!

I chose the X-T20 mainly because it has the newer X-T2 sensor and focusing system. I don't really need the weather-proofing, or better EVF that the X-T1 has over the X-T20. However, I did need a better grip like the X-T1 has so I bought the accessory grip for the X-T10 that fits. It made a big difference to me when using bigger lenses like the 55-200.

Now with the discounts is a good time to buy, or wait until holiday discounts kick in in a few months.

-- hide signature --

Dave

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,786

biagiovanotto wrote:

Hi folks!

It's a no brainer--the X-T20 has the X-Processor Pro which makes it a faster camera with better AF and sensor.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Pan50 Regular Member • Posts: 319

I got the XT1, it's larger (XT20 is tiny) and with the battery pack is a solid camera.  Weather sealing is also a plus for me. And the XT1 even at 16mp takes amazing images.

Pan50's gear list:Pan50's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 8,518
Tiny??

Pan50 wrote:

I got the XT1, it's larger (XT20 is tiny) and with the battery pack is a solid camera. Weather sealing is also a plus for me. And the XT1 even at 16mp takes amazing images.

There seems to be a consensus here regarding the large X-T1 versus the tiny X-T20. I have used both and fail to see this significance. Tiny sounds like half size?? A third?? 92% (I think it's 129mm vs 118.4 = 91.78%).

There is a difference, sure, but terms like "tiny" are somewhat misleading as it always depends on what you want to use it for. I personally wouldn't chose the X-T20 for a large super tele, but wouldn't necessarily chose the X-T1/2 either if long range was my gig

For small primes (incl the 90/2) I find the X-T20 to be a highly capable camera.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
bs1946
bs1946 Senior Member • Posts: 5,853

Herein the US, Fuji just started a new sale and cut the price of the XT20 by $100 to $799. But the XT1 is a discontinued model and there is no discount unless a local retailer offers one.

I'm just the opposite in that almost all of my gear has been bought used in recent years and so far, I've been lucky with my purchases. I have been looking at a used XT2 and XT20 from a local retailer. Both are complete, in mint condition, and come with a six month dealer warranty. They were priced at a little less than $100 off the price of a new one. But that went out the window with the sale and I have been tempted to off $200 less that the sale price and see if they will take that offer. I just have to decide which one I want.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
www.flickr.com/photos/wrs1946
instagram.com@billschaffel
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
- Henri Cartier-Bresson -

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Apple iPhone 7 Plus Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F
Threaded Senior Member • Posts: 2,013

Tim C. wrote:

biagiovanotto wrote:

Hi folks!

It's a no brainer--the X-T20 has the X-Processor Pro which makes it a faster camera with better AF and sensor.

Disagree, it’s still a “brainer” unless autofocus speed is literally the only thing you care about.

The AF on the XT1 is perfectly workable, and the IQ differences aren’t that great for most purposes - the newer sensor gives you more to crop with and a stop of extra iso, but the XT1 is more than capable still.

What you’re getting with the XT1 over the 20 is substantially better build quality, weather and dust sealing, a labelled dial for ISO, a way better EVF with the option of an extended eye cup, and compatibility with a battery grip for longer life and better ergonomics with bigger lenses.  For some it will be the much better choice of camera, especially if it also saves them money; for others all this will be trumped by the newer tech - but it requires some thought either way.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads