"the D850 is the best DSLR on the market today"

Started Oct 17, 2017 | Discussions
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,900
"the D850 is the best DSLR on the market today"

Dpreview's review of the D850 is out

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,665
Re: "the D850 is the best DSLR on the market today"

TOF guy wrote:

Waiting patiently for 11/18 :^)))))

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
arbitrage Regular Member • Posts: 336

Someone must have forgotten to remind the guy who wrote that heading that the D750 scored 1 point higher 

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon D500 Sony a9 Nikon D850 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
OP MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,900

arbitrage wrote:

Someone must have forgotten to remind the guy who wrote that heading that the D750 scored 1 point higher

Maybe not : the score may take price into account. The D850 can be the best dSLR overall while the D750 can be the best value.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Antal I Kozma Senior Member • Posts: 2,610

No wonder, we have waited for so long to have a replacement for the D810 which was such  an under performer.........    Regardless, we TOF-ed it out and now we have it!!!!! 

Best, AIK 

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,454

When is the video review portion of the review going to be added? Many of us are excited about the D850 shooting 4K with the entire full frame sensor, and would like to see how it stacks up with other cameras you've tested. I'm sure readers would like to see how the 1080p slow motion compares to other cameras, too.

I would also like to see the video testing include different ISOs for the scene shot, similar to what is done for stills. I would think the D850 would have good high ISO performance for video, but only testing can confirm this.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,243

arbitrage wrote:

Someone must have forgotten to remind the guy who wrote that heading that the D750 scored 1 point higher

DPR scoring doesn't work the way you may think it does.  Cameras are scored against other cameras in the same category.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +28 more
Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 1,903

michaeladawson wrote:

arbitrage wrote:

DPR scoring doesn't work the way you may think it does. Cameras are scored against other cameras in the same category.

I think it also marks against the best currently available. IIRC The D300s was clearly either the same or an improvement on the D300 in every way but it scored less...

-- hide signature --

Instagram @vinnypimages

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Nikon D5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +64 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Senior Member • Posts: 2,910

TOF guy wrote:

arbitrage wrote:

Maybe not : the score may take price into account. The D850 can be the best dSLR overall while the D750 can be the best value.

A read through the review's comments section will turn up this remark by DPR's Richard Butler, "Essentially, everything on the camera needs to be perfect or near perfect to get above a 90. So, while the D850 is probably the best DSLR we've ever seen, the expectations in that price bracket make a higher score almost impossible."

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 6,643

arbitrage wrote:

My reading skills tell me that the guy who wrote that heading did not write "the D850 is the highest-scoring camera in the history of DPR scoring".

Careful word-for-word analysis will demonstrate that the two statements are different.

Oh, and

Anyway, the guy who scored the D750 was probably influenced by Bill Claff's significantly wrongly high DR score for the D750. And the guy who scored the D850 probably didn't see Bill's correction in time and marked the D850 down. That explains everything.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Senior Member • Posts: 2,910

TN Args wrote:

Anyway, the guy who scored the D750 was probably influenced by Bill Claff's significantly wrongly high DR score for the D750. And the guy who scored the D850 probably didn't see Bill's correction in time and marked the D850 down. That explains everything.

I'm sensing at least a touch of tongue-in-cheek...at least, I hope so.

DPR classifies the D750 as a Mid Range camera and the D850 as Semi-Professional. Being in different segments, the D850 would not have been directly - or at least, not extensively - scored against the D750.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 6,643

Bill Ferris wrote:

TN Args wrote:

I'm sensing at least a touch of tongue-in-cheek...at least, I hope so.

Well spotted

DPR classifies the D750 as a Mid Range camera and the D850 as Semi-Professional. Being in different segments, the D850 would not have been directly - or at least, not extensively - scored against the D750.

Agreed

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,773
Don't like the piece mealing

TOF guy wrote:

I normally really like the reviews here. The section on low light AF has just been added now, but it's totally different from the D810 and D750 review, which where quite concise and showed the light in which they could focus. Also the video section is far too brief?

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d810/8

(Good real world insight into D810's low light focus in this old review).

I also really strongly dislike this peace mealing we get now, it's not just this website doing it. Are we that excited we cannot wait until we have a full proper tried and tested review to release we have to give it in little sections? I put this down to all these websites wanting to compete so bad they are doing this but it's just naff IMO. I'd rather wait to hear your full flowing views in one properly written article. I used to enjoy sitting down to read these now it's like well which part have I read already and switching about all over the place. I see a lot that needs expanded on (and frankly quite a lot of stuff is missing) to make it as good as some of the old reviews. Maybe it's not complete yet? But it already has a percentage by it so I really have no idea.

PS this is an opinion; you do not have to like it, but it's mine and I'm giving it.

maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,580
I agree

very happy with the D850.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,396
Re: Don't like the piece mealing

primeshooter wrote:

I also really strongly dislike this peace mealing we get now, it's not just this website doing it. Are we that excited we cannot wait until we have a full proper tried and tested review to release we have to give it in little sections? I put this down to all these websites wanting to compete so bad they are doing this but it's just naff IMO.

Yip, it's a mess, and becoming less and less useful.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads