<{##]"Macro/Closeup Thread 16 October 2017"[##}>

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
<{##]"Macro/Closeup Thread 16 October 2017"[##}>

Welcome to the: "Macro/Closeup Thread 16 October 2017"

!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

Although this is the Panasonic Compact Camera Forum we welcome photos taken with any camera.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

When posting images to this thread PLEASE:

*****************REPLY TO ORIGINAL THREAD***************

********CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE TO YOUR OWN UNIQUE TITLE*******

THANK YOU

!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

Please feel free to post images of insects and other little animals, flowers, buds, foliage etc, droplets, man-made items or anything else that is somewhat small or seen closer up than usual.

The images might be recent or not, straight out of the camera or post processed a little or a lot, including any artistic or other effects that appeal to you.

If you prefer to simply post images that is fine, but if you are inclined to add a little background about the subject or equipment, post processing etc or any stories about the shots that would be good and may encourage better responses.

If you have questions about finding or creating subjects, capture technique, equipment, post processing etc please do ask and hopefully someone here will be able to give some helpful suggestions. And if you have lessons you have learned please do share them to help others improve and enjoy their close-up/macro activities.

You may simply want to share your images with others here, but if you would like Constructive Comments/Critique or however you prefer to think of it, please either add "CC requested" or similar to the subject line or to the text of the post.

If you can respond to any CC requests that would be great.

OP gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Three on a Choisya bush

I captured these on a Choisya bush in our garden last month with my FZ330 and KX800 twin flash.

Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,644
Looking deep into a Solitary Bee House

When the Solitary Bees' nesting season ends, I always take a Final Result pic of each Bee House.

This is the best of my 8 Bee Houses with its anti-Woodpecker wire mesh screen removed. It is entirely populated by Leafcutter Bees except for one stray Red Mason Bee (mud door). I like the colours when the leaf doors turn brown.

This first pic is taken with telemacro from 1 metre/ 40 inches without flash:

No flash.

The second pic is an attempt to peer down holes to see what is there. Three pics are taken using telemacro from 1 metre/ 40 inches with onboard flash and then stacked in Helicon Filter:

Stack of 3 pics using flash, telemacro and 3 focus points

Focus point 1 is the leaf doors. Focus points 2 and 3 are made with the white cardboard with cross stuck on at 2 different distances.

To leave these out of the pics, I could remove them during the timer delay.

This year nearly all the 7-10 mm tubes in the 8 Bee Houses are occupied by Leafcutter and Red Mason Bees, leaving no empty tubes that other insects could adopt.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
estero
estero Senior Member • Posts: 1,657
Dragonfly

Just happened upon this one that landed about 5 feet from me.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Small autumn hedgerow things - FZ330, 4 pics

Perfect day for a longer walk.

These pics are reduced to 2000 pixels high.

#1:

Simply leaves.

#2:

Tiny yellow/orange berries.

#3:

Low down on the ground - I have never noticed these before .

#4:

A wild clematis?

As always, best viewed at maximum size.

Mike

Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Vidau
Vidau Forum Pro • Posts: 15,129
Spider

Vidau's gear list:Vidau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +14 more
AllAboutNature Regular Member • Posts: 423
Finding Fungus

Left early Monday am with the intent to do birding only so I didn't pack any camera but my FZ70.  Sure wish I would have at least had my Canon 500D achromatic lens in my pocket for a few of these.

AllAboutNature's gear list:AllAboutNature's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
Trafford2
Trafford2 Senior Member • Posts: 3,513
Hanging on!

October blossoming Carnation.

Re: Hanging on!

Trafford2 wrote:

Nice - did you select the flower head and enhance it?

Mike

Trafford2

Mikedigi wrote:

Trafford2 wrote:

Nice - did you select the flower head and enhance it?

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Yes plus a tad of sharpening.

Trafford2
Re: Spider

Vidau wrote:

Great shot Vid! The soft out of focus backdrop enhancing the whole scene.

OT question, can another spider get entangled and snared in a web it has
not made?

Vidau
Vidau Forum Pro • Posts: 15,129

Trafford2 wrote:

Vidau wrote:

Great shot Vid! The soft out of focus backdrop enhancing the whole scene.

Thank you Trafford

OT question, can another spider get entangled and snared in a web it has
not made?

I do not know

Vidau's gear list:Vidau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +14 more
Re: Looking deep into a Solitary Bee House

Fascinating post Mike. I think your bee houses are great.

Your technique with the stacked image is intriguing. I never would have thought of putting a target up then removing them before the shot is taken. Very creative thinking. Helicon Filter seems to be working fine for what you are doing.

Re: Dragonfly
Re: Small autumn hedgerow things - FZ330, 4 pics

Nice set Mike. I very much like the first and third. The first for the light and colours. Similarly for the third, which to my eye also has a quite strong 3D look to the subject.

I agree with Trafford. That background contributes to a super overall composition. I like that a lot.

Re: Finding Fungus

Nice. I keep forgetting about fungi - thanks for the reminder.

The first one stands out for me. Did you end up having to crop a lot because of not having the 500D with you?

Re: Looking deep into a Solitary Bee House

gardenersassistant wrote:

Fascinating post Mike. I think your bee houses are great.

Your technique with the stacked image is intriguing. I never would have thought of putting a target up then removing them before the shot is taken. Very creative thinking. Helicon Filter seems to be working fine for what you are doing.

Thanks Nick.  Yes, HF does a good job within its limitations.

Mike

Re: Small autumn hedgerow things - FZ330, 4 pics

gardenersassistant wrote:

Nice set Mike. I very much like the first and third. The first for the light and colours. Similarly for the third, which to my eye also has a quite strong 3D look to the subject.

Thanks Nick.

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads