Dual users: Fuji and micro 4/3

Started Oct 16, 2017 | Discussions
upptick
upptick Regular Member • Posts: 289
Dual users: Fuji and micro 4/3

I've had my x-t20 about a month now and like it a lot. I've been shooting mostly with the 35mm prime and the 18-55. If I'm comparing the Fuji to the Panasonic JPEGs side by side, I can usually tell some difference but not always -- the Fuji is better but certainly not by an order of magnitude better. I think I'd like to keep both systems but I wonder if over time I'll end up just shooting with the Fuji so maybe it's better to sell my micro 4/3 stuff -- I have a gx85 and the 14-140, 100-300, and 15mm Leica lenses.  Does anyone routinely carry a micro 4/3 camera with a zoom and also a Fuji with a prime?  Anyone got any suggestions for how to use both systems in a complimentary fashion?

Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,390
I'm in the same boat

upptick wrote:

I've had my x-t20 about a month now and like it a lot. I've been shooting mostly with the 35mm prime and the 18-55. If I'm comparing the Fuji to the Panasonic JPEGs side by side, I can usually tell some difference but not always -- the Fuji is better but certainly not by an order of magnitude better. I think I'd like to keep both systems but I wonder if over time I'll end up just shooting with the Fuji so maybe it's better to sell my micro 4/3 stuff -- I have a gx85 and the 14-140, 100-300, and 15mm Leica lenses. Does anyone routinely carry a micro 4/3 camera with a zoom and also a Fuji with a prime? Anyone got any suggestions for how to use both systems in a complimentary fashion?

I'm in even a bigger predicament.

A number of years ago I decided to supplement my DSLR kit with something much smaller and lighter, something that I could take with me everywhere. I got the Oly OMD EM10 + 14-42 kit lens, and it was wonderful. It ticked all the boxes for what I wanted.

Later I also bought into Fuji, more out of curiosity and GAS than need. It also turned out to be wonderful.

Eventually I expanded my collection to the X-T2 + 4 lenses, and added a 9-18mm UWA to my m43 kit - all of this while clinging on to my DSLR kit.

The end result of all this is that I now have 3 systems, and I really enjoy them all. The problem is that it sometimes makes it difficult to decide which kit to use. At this point in time I realise that I'm not willing to part with any of the three, but have noticed that I tend to use both the Fuji and m43 kit far more than my DSLR - they are just so damn nice and convenient to use!

So, the only advice that I can offer is to hold on to the m43 if you can. Both are lovely to use.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

hectorpatrick Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: Dual users: Fuji and micro 4/3

I,too, ran Fuji (X-Pro2 and X100F) and Panasonic kits (GX80) side-by-side for  while, but recently sold on all my Fuji kit and bought a Pana G80 to complement the GX80, along with Leica 15, Leica 12-60 and the GX Vario 14-42 PZ and 45-175 PZ lenses as I could see no significant difference in image quality (processing from RAW). up to 30x20 prints and certainly none when posting to the web.

I found that the GX80 with the PL15 lens produced images that were every bit as sharp as the X100F, with the added flexibility of being able to change lenses when needed. The G80 is also an excellent camera (DPR Gold Award) and both have all the advantages of the Pana m43s system: very fast and accurate AF, excellent touch screens and dual IS with appropriate lenses. The latter allows lower shutter speeds and thus lower ISO settings to be used, which overcome the image noise disadvantage of the Panasonic cameras against the Fuji equivalents.

The Panasonic cameras provide me now with compact, flexible and rugged camera choices for photographic outings, all with excellent image quality and so I don't see myself going back to Fuji anytime soon. I should mention that I also have a Pentax K1 for those occasions when I need ultimate image quality!

hectorpatrick's gear list:hectorpatrick's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +2 more
sebiruns
sebiruns Contributing Member • Posts: 778

I too had both systems side by side and ultimately focused on Fuji. To me it depends on your lens preferences. I prefer fast and wide to medium focal length primes. Imho Fuji has the edge here especially when it comes to price-performance-ratio. Olympus and Panasonic have some great primes but they are often very expensive (the 15mm PL being a notable exception). When it vomes to zooms and long telephoto lenses m43 has the more sound offerings imo. Once you know what kind of lenses you prefer the choice isn’t that hard. Running both side by side is an option but more costly than I can justify for what at the end of the day is just a hobby to me.

sebiruns's gear list:sebiruns's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +4 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,876

upptick wrote:

I've had my x-t20 about a month now and like it a lot. I've been shooting mostly with the 35mm prime and the 18-55. If I'm comparing the Fuji to the Panasonic JPEGs side by side, I can usually tell some difference but not always -- the Fuji is better but certainly not by an order of magnitude better. I think I'd like to keep both systems but I wonder if over time I'll end up just shooting with the Fuji so maybe it's better to sell my micro 4/3 stuff -- I have a gx85 and the 14-140, 100-300, and 15mm Leica lenses. Does anyone routinely carry a micro 4/3 camera with a zoom and also a Fuji with a prime? Anyone got any suggestions for how to use both systems in a complimentary fashion?

I like using the 12-40/2.8 with the Pen F as a standard zoom, as it has a better range, is lighter than the Fuji 16-55/2.8, and I already have it. I like having the GX85 with its kit zoom and the 14/2.5 in a pocket of my smallest kit (Tamrac 5693) that has 4k stabilized video. But mostly I have primes attached to those two...12/2, 15/1.7, 17/1.8, 20/1.7, or 25/1.4. The 100-300 spends a lot of time on the E-M1. I do prefer using the 55-200 over the 40-150 (cheap version) and the 14-140.

I have kept most of the µ4/3 gear, largely because of size/weight and IBIS is very valuable to me.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Shaun432x Contributing Member • Posts: 579
I thought that it was just me...

I am so happy to read that I am not the only one!

My story...

I use my Nikon D500 and 200-400mm f/4 for wildlife, Air shows, Zoo, nature, horse racing, bird photography, etc,

My Nikon D800 and 85mm f/1.4D for studio, glamour, fashion, portraits etc,

Nikon primes for landscapes.

My Panasonic GX80 and various lenses, for video only,

My Fuji X100F, X-E3 and X-T20 and various lenses, for street photography and travel, holidays and family days out etc,

I can't use just one system as I love to have the best quality results...

No one system can give me that.

When you have seen the best, you want the best.

Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T10 Nikon D500 +44 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,876
Re: I thought that it was just me...

Shaun432x wrote:

I am so happy to read that I am not the only one!

My story...

I use my Nikon D500 and 200-400mm f/4 for wildlife, Air shows, Zoo, nature, horse racing, bird photography, etc,

My Nikon D800 and 85mm f/1.4D for studio, glamour, fashion, portraits etc,

Nikon primes for landscapes.

My Panasonic GX80 and various lenses, for video only,

My Fuji X100F, X-E3 and X-T20 and various lenses, for street photography and travel, holidays and family days out etc,

I can't use just one system as I love to have the best quality results...

No one system can give me that.

When you have seen the best, you want the best.

Sounds like you know what works for you.

There are quite of few of those who use more than one system here.

And there are those who sold their other systems once getting here.

I'm more in the former group.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 19,720
Multi system attitudes...

Over the past decade or more, I've been consistently espousing the benefits and joys of multi-system usage.  And there are quite a few dual M43 and Fuji users on these forums.  Some of us, shoot with even more systems.  In my particular case, I use Fuji, M43, Canon EOS M and the now defunct (yet still awesome) Samsung NX system.

JPG-wise, I'm a bit surprised that you are having somewhat of an issue discerning the differences color-wise (tonality) between Fuji and Panasonic cameras.  I use a variety of M43 (both Panny and Oly) and Fuji cameras and I really enjoy using them all.  But if there is one brand that I put on the bottom of the list with regards to a warmish color tonality, it is Panasonic.  And whenever I go to shoot scenes with lots of people, I tend not to reach for any Panasonic cameras.  Now granted, things are improving with the Panny cameras, looking at their latest models - the awesome GH5, the G80/85 and one or two others.  But where accurate and warmer skin tones are desired, the only way to go, IMO, is with the following:

1.  Fuji.

2.  Olympus (although you have to watch for saturation of reds).

3.  Canon.

Where Panasonic cameras seem to do very well are in scenics, special events, architectural, and a few other areas.  You know, it used to be that is was quite easy to discern the differences in color tonality among the different brands.  There was once the "Nikon look," or the "Canon look," or the "Olympus look," etc.  But things have meshed a bit over the past decade and if you shoot in RAW, then the ability to manipulate colors tends to smear the differences even more.

So if you're currently using both M43 and Fuji, unless you feel the personal need to discard one brand over the other, I'd say hold on to both.  Of course, if the Panasonic camera(s) you own are much older, then you may also want to try a newer Panny model.  You will eventually use either one based on the situation or scenes.  This is where the flexibility comes into play with using multiple brand systems.

One thing I know is that over the years, I've seen quite a few folks lament their decision to sell one camera system (over the other).  I cannot even begin to tell you about the numbers of folks who've regretted selling a particular brand (due mainly because they were using another system more often).  And once you sold a system (and you lose quite a bit of cash in the process), the thought of having once again begin the purchase process all over again (in this case Panny products) becomes quite a hassle.

And I tell folks the same thing if they are selling their Fuji gear in order to embrace another brand.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 Samsung EX2F Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +33 more
Kdgast Regular Member • Posts: 102

I use both Fuji (X-Pro2, XT-2 and XT-20) and m4/3 (Olympus E-M1 and  G85).  I use the Fuji for events and landscape primarily.  I use m4/3 for travel and wildlife. I use only zooms.

Kdgast's gear list:Kdgast's gear list
Panasonic G85 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +6 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 10,500
Re: Multi system attitudes...

I'm also multi system (Fuji and Pentax) and have no trouble justifying it to myself whatsoever. Variety is the spice of life, and my two systems do different things, in spite of a truly appalling level of lens overlap.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +14 more
cprevost Senior Member • Posts: 1,124
Re: Multi system attitudes...

I also have both systems. I originally sold most of my m4/3 gear when I went with Fuji but never managed to sell all my lenses. I found a great deal on a used Panasonic GM1 and bought it. It's the smallest interchangeable lens camera for the system and I thought it would be fun to have a pocketable camera. I use the Panasonic with some of my vintage Russian manual focus lenses. It fits in a coat pocket easily and it's really fun to shoot with. If I put the 14mm Panasonic pancake lens on the GM1 it's crazy compact. The image quality is not as good as the Fuji but close enough. I can fit the camera and 4 lenses in an impossibly small bag. So, for me hanging onto the m4/3 stuff was about the promise of portability of the system.  The GM1 delivers that with a few select prime lenses. The Fuji comes out when I'm wanting to concentrate on doing more serious photography and want to carry a bit more kit.

cprevost's gear list:cprevost's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 12,444
I am a single system user now...

I use two Fuji bodies (Xpro2 and XE2) to cover the bases.

The handling and processing differences between brands just slows me down. I would rather invest my time in getting one system working properly. Even if it has some drawbacks compared to another, I can usually work around them. Then, I don't have to think about the camera when I am in the field shooting.

I did shoot Nikon and Fuji for a while, but sold the Nikon. When I am travelling with two bodies, having one set of identical spare batteries and one charger and flash, is a real bonus. I frequently use two bodies to prevent lens swapping, but having the same mount is more versatile and reduces the number of lenses I need to carry.

Of course, YMMV. I do enjoy my time in LR and Photoshop, and I have colour profiles and workflows that work well with my Xpro2 and XE2, so I don't want to go through all that pain again. If you are more of a JPEG shooter, then it's probably not so much of a PITA.

-- hide signature --

Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western Civilisation?"
Mahatma Gandhi: "I think it would be a very good idea!"

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
DarnGoodPhotos Senior Member • Posts: 7,644

You could use your m4/3 with your long lens because....have you seen the size of Fuji's 100-400.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
dr_thom New Member • Posts: 14

upptick wrote:

I'm also a dual user for a few days now. I use:

- Fuji X-E3: street, travel, everyday photo (actually I plan to use it for this, I received it last wednesday ). I have only the 18-55mm but I'm also looking for a 27mm f2.8. I would like to have a lighter but performant gear, with a viewfinder, to replace/complete my Nikon D7100 (I'm actually a triple user )

- Oly Pen E-PL7: I used it as second camera for its lightness (with the 14-42EZ), which has no purpose now with the X-E3. But I will still use it for mountaineering, as it is really small, light, and robust (the camera seems to not be afraid of the rocks ). And it delivers nice images, I'm mostly satisfied with it, my only concern is that the greens goes strange in case of heavy sunny conditions. I don't rule out continuing to use it just for fun.

(and Nikon D7100: I will still used it for portrait, landscape, mostly for the prime lens I have. And I like the camera, even if it's "heavy")

dr_thom's gear list:dr_thom's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus E-PL7 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +4 more
sotr New Member • Posts: 12

I use the XT20 with the 18-55, 18 f2, 27mm, 35 f1.4, 12mm samyang for my doze of  photo-therapy/walkabouts and trips where I know I'll be shooting a lot.

For more casual trips with the wife and kids or business trips, I'll bring along the GF7 with the 12-32 + 35-100 kits, 20mm f1.7, fisheye cap as the combo cover most eventualities at very negligible weight.

Had a GX7 as well but sold it couple weeks ago as it overlaps with the Fuji.

I carry the Ricoh GR which replaced the X-E2+27mm combo as my EDC.

Iuvenis Contributing Member • Posts: 855

I tried using two systems side by side (Sony A7 and m43) and couldn't hack it. On the other hand, I enjoy using a fixed lens camera alongside an ILC system.  I wouldn't go back to using a bag with two different sets of lenses.

I nearly kept an m43 camera with just a 100-300 for telephoto, as the Fuji 100-400 is so much bigger. However, two things held me back:

1. The 100-300 isn't really a great lens, though it isn't really bad either. Not the sort of thing you keep a system for.

2. The only m43 bodies that offer anything close to the XT2 for action are quite expensive, bulky and heavy. That meant the cost and weight added up to as much as the Fuji 100-400.

Iuvenis's gear list:Iuvenis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more

Iuvenis wrote:

I tried using two systems side by side (Sony A7 and m43) and couldn't hack it. On the other hand, I enjoy using a fixed lens camera alongside an ILC system. I wouldn't go back to using a bag with two different sets of lenses.

I nearly kept an m43 camera with just a 100-300 for telephoto, as the Fuji 100-400 is so much bigger. However, two things held me back:

1. The 100-300 isn't really a great lens, though it isn't really bad either. Not the sort of thing you keep a system for.

2. The only m43 bodies that offer anything close to the XT2 for action are quite expensive, bulky and heavy. That meant the cost and weight added up to as much as the Fuji 100-400.

You are spot on there! Very good observations that I agree with.

speedbird006 New Member • Posts: 16

I unloaded my Panasonic M43 gear because I couldn't stand the awkward JPEG renditions of people or scenery in any condition other than under direct sunlight.  Video on the other hand was lovely.  Granted, I don't shoot RAW as I don't have hours on end editing images in front of the computer.  JPEGs from my 9-year old Nikon D90 with Sigma f/2.8 zoom runs rings around GX85 and GX850's JPEGs in terms of colour, clarity, contrast and file size.

Next stop: Fuji XT-20.

speedbird006's gear list:speedbird006's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS M50 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +1 more

speedbird006 wrote:

I unloaded my Panasonic M43 gear because I couldn't stand the awkward JPEG renditions of people or scenery in any condition other than under direct sunlight. Video on the other hand was lovely. Granted, I don't shoot RAW as I don't have hours on end editing images in front of the computer. JPEGs from my 9-year old Nikon D90 with Sigma f/2.8 zoom runs rings around GX85 and GX850's JPEGs in terms of colour, clarity, contrast and file size.

Next stop: Fuji XT-20.

Very true. Micro 4/3 image quality is leagues behind Nikon and Fuji.

Best RAW is Nikon , best JPEG is Fuji and best video is Panasonic... with 6 way IBIS.

j tokarz Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Re: I'm in the same boat

Keep them all and enjoy them all. People collect cameras as things of brilliant engineering which they are. I have lots of modern cameras and lenses and use them all. People collect and use all sorts. I have a friend who has about 20 different motor cycles, and live near a footballer (Rooney) who has lots of modern cars. AND he can't even drive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads