Will we ever see one with phone-like UI?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
hawk15 Contributing Member • Posts: 564
Will we ever see one with phone-like UI?

As phone cams and double-cams improve, the UI is becoming the bigger point of differentiation that I notice.

I can take a multiple pics while taking my time with exposure on each and get an automated pano, albeit requiring internet.  Filters can be applied instantly that used to take at least minutes + a learning curve in pp.  Photospheres are pretty awesome and don't need internet.

I'm reluctant now to get a new body with a traditional UI.  Will Sony ever try a phonecam-based UI?  Samsung did a while ago but their entire camera line was doomed.  Maybe a QX update is also in order.

hawk15's gear list:hawk15's gear list
Sony a6000 Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,195
Re: Will we ever see one with phone-like UI?

hawk15 wrote:

As phone cams and double-cams improve, the UI is becoming the bigger point of differentiation that I notice.

I can take a multiple pics while taking my time with exposure on each and get an automated pano, albeit requiring internet. Filters can be applied instantly that used to take at least minutes + a learning curve in pp. Photospheres are pretty awesome and don't need internet.

I'm reluctant now to get a new body with a traditional UI. Will Sony ever try a phonecam-based UI? Samsung did a while ago but their entire camera line was doomed. Maybe a QX update is also in order.

If you gave me an iphone with a FF sensor and the ability to change lenses it would drive me crazy. The ease of use that you get with smartphones is great when you want limited control and just want to take pictures effortlessly. Once you need more control with more layers of settings it won't be so user friendly in my opinion. You also have to factor in physical controls on a camera which isn't a concern for smartphones.

That said, Sony has some applications that do some of the things you mention here like digital filters. I'd like to see Sony learn a little bit from the smartphones and make those applications more intuitive and user friendly.

sybersitizen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,886

hawk15 wrote:

Will Sony ever try a phonecam-based UI?

You never know. History shows that Sony will try almost anything once - even stuff with uncertain marketability.

OP hawk15 Contributing Member • Posts: 564

Even for traditional controls, a phone UI can objectively improve things (ie time it takes to make a change), especially on the APS-C alphas compared to the current menu system.

A FF camera can incorporate a fresh OS without ditching the physical buttons.  The Sony Playmemories store was a DOA idea showing that they hadn't learned the lessons from MiniDisc, stick of gum memory card, etc.

hawk15's gear list:hawk15's gear list
Sony a6000 Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,174

hawk15 wrote:

Even for traditional controls, a phone UI can objectively improve things ...
A FF camera can incorporate a fresh OS without ditching the physical buttons.

I think you just need to be clear that when you refer to "UI" you mean "menu" because to most of us, the user interface *is* the buttons and dials.  (The menu is to be avoided while shooting).

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,195

hawk15 wrote:

Even for traditional controls, a phone UI can objectively improve things (ie time it takes to make a change), especially on the APS-C alphas compared to the current menu system.

I'm not sure there is any proof to back up this opinion.   What smartphone or smartphone type UI has been used successfully with a device that has the physical controls of a camera like the A6500 or A7rII?   Many of us rely heavily on those physical controls in conditions that make it hard to use the menus (with or without a touchscreen).    I'm also not aware of any smartphone UI that addresses the level of customization you have in these cameras.    I'm not saying the camera companies can't learn something from the smartphone UIs because I think they can but at the same time there are tons of differences that have to be considered.    My Samsung Note 8 camera is great and it's easy to use until I want to use the more advanced features at which time it gets pretty clunky and that's not even considering trying to use it in difficult conditions.

MisJay Regular Member • Posts: 117

No,mostly because camera manufacturers can’t afford it.

smarphones have massively powerful processors compared to cameras. I’m pretty sure the current Sony e mount cameras don’t stand a chance even against something like an iPhone 4 in terms of general purpose logic and graphics. These cameras are made on special purpose processors that do very specific tasks like RAW conversion.

Before you can do a phone like UI you need phone like hardware. That means way bigger and better screen, as well as a modern ARM SOC.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads