Dust inside lens?

Started Oct 15, 2017 | Questions
Cristianxb1983
Cristianxb1983 New Member • Posts: 15
Dust inside lens?

Dear all, I was cheching my nikon 500 f4 the other day, cleaning the front glass and I put a flashlight lighting the inside and I found specks of dust inside... could that be possible? Which makes me wonder... arent they weather sealed? I travel 3/4 times a month with it by plane, could have pressurization in flight made something to it, like it does to any contained parcels of air inside any body? (eg. bottle of water)

BEST REGARDS!

 Cristianxb1983's gear list:Cristianxb1983's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,433
Re: Dust inside lens?

Some dust inside a lens like that is not going to make any difference to the IQ.

Weather sealed lenses can get dust in. A good place for dust ingress (but not the only one)  is the back of the lens when you take the lens back cap off.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,412
Re: Dust inside lens?

Cristianxb1983 wrote:

Dear all, I was cheching my nikon 500 f4 the other day, cleaning the front glass and I put a flashlight lighting the inside and I found specks of dust inside... could that be possible? Which makes me wonder... arent they weather sealed? I travel 3/4 times a month with it by plane, could have pressurization in flight made something to it, like it does to any contained parcels of air inside any body? (eg. bottle of water)

BEST REGARDS!

Not so sure if a weather sealed lens ( lenses ) can collect dust inside, unless the lens is exposed without the cap to windy dusty weather condition, so I always try to change a lens shielding it with my body, and quickly as possible........My lenses so far have stayed inside dust-free :-D.......

Any dust particles inside a lens is not the best of course, and other photographers had problems with dust inside their lens, even one very small particle, so best have it removed or remove it quickly........

Griddi.......

mrgs1
mrgs1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,843
Re: Dust inside lens?
1

I think most of us can live with a little dust inside lenses, when or if it becomes a problem, seek a resolution, if your going to clean it every time a few particles are inside its going to be expensive and spend a lot of time out of your possession.

 mrgs1's gear list:mrgs1's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +9 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,412
Re: Dust inside lens?

mrgs1 wrote:

I think most of us can live with a little dust inside lenses, when or if it becomes a problem, seek a resolution, if your going to clean it every time a few particles are inside its going to be expensive and spend a lot of time out of your possession.

As I wrote, so far I never have noticed any little dust inside my lenses, but I am also extra careful, as I am sort of a perfectionist I am not so sure I would accept even just a little dust in my lenses, and so would have probably seek professional help :-D.......

Griddi......

mrgs1
mrgs1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,843
Re: Dust inside lens?

griddi wrote:

mrgs1 wrote:

I think most of us can live with a little dust inside lenses, when or if it becomes a problem, seek a resolution, if your going to clean it every time a few particles are inside its going to be expensive and spend a lot of time out of your possession.

As I wrote, so far I never have noticed any little dust inside my lenses, but I am also extra careful, as I am sort of a perfectionist I am not so sure I would accept even just a little dust in my lenses, and so would have probably seek professional help :-D.......

Griddi......

The reply wasn't to you but original poster.

 mrgs1's gear list:mrgs1's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +9 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,412
Re: Dust inside lens?

mrgs1 wrote:

griddi wrote:

mrgs1 wrote:

I think most of us can live with a little dust inside lenses, when or if it becomes a problem, seek a resolution, if your going to clean it every time a few particles are inside its going to be expensive and spend a lot of time out of your possession.

As I wrote, so far I never have noticed any little dust inside my lenses, but I am also extra careful, as I am sort of a perfectionist I am not so sure I would accept even just a little dust in my lenses, and so would have probably seek professional help :-D.......

Griddi......

The reply wasn't to you but original poster.

Sorry, but it showed up to " Griddi " :-D.......

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60244585

Griddi.......

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,433
Re: Dust inside lens?
1

Please take a look at what the pros think, never mind the rest...

https://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-found-a-fly-inside-a-weather-sealed-lens/

Alleg1 Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: Dust inside lens?

Cristianxb1983 wrote:

Dear all, I was cheching my nikon 500 f4 the other day, cleaning the front glass and I put a flashlight lighting the inside and I found specks of dust inside... could that be possible? Which makes me wonder... arent they weather sealed? I travel 3/4 times a month with it by plane, could have pressurization in flight made something to it, like it does to any contained parcels of air inside any body? (eg. bottle of water)

BEST REGARDS!

Some of the solutions suggested seem to assume the dust is on the outside surfaces of the lens, whereas from your comment it seems the dust is inside the lens body.

However, this is not  uncommon, and as FrancoD suggests, should not be a problem unless there has been a major ingress of dust.

If you have not noticed any IQ issues, , don't worry about it!

 Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Olympus E-510
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 12,592
Re: Dust inside lens?
1

Ignore it, it doesn't matter and stop cleaning your lenses unless they are obviously filthy.  All you are likely to do is slowly accumulate damage from cleaning.  Unless you are using very wide lenses at small apertures marks on the lens elements are not visible.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

 a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 9,461
Re: Dust inside lens?
3

Every lens I have will show some dust inside If I shine a flashlight through it and I don't care! whenI was a kid I was a perfectionist and it almost drove me insane. At 19 I had saved up to buy a Canon macro lens and took the train to downtown Chicago when there were several great camera stores and bought my prize. On inspection there there was a tiny spec of dust inside so back it went. I repeated this two more times at the expense of two hour round trips and the exasperation of the clerk who finally wrote final return on my worn reciept. Of course not once did I take a photo with the offending lenses as I was convinced the lens had to be perfect. I eventually convinced myself that this behavior was not healthy and stopped. Don't get me wrong, I still examine new purchases thoroughly but I don't sweat a minor cosmetic flaw; proper function is far more important.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

 Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +27 more
mrgs1
mrgs1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,843
Re: Dust inside lens?

FrancoD wrote:

Please take a look at what the pros think, never mind the rest...

https://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-found-a-fly-inside-a-weather-sealed-lens/

We gave him good advice don't worry about it! We had a cigarette packet wedged in a 500mm f4 hood and never showed up in photos displte blocking some of the front element. Never mind the rest! We do know what I'm talking about.

 mrgs1's gear list:mrgs1's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +9 more
Cristianxb1983
OP Cristianxb1983 New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Dust inside lens?
1

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply. As someone mentioned here... I should stop being a perfectionist...After posting the thread I read and article about this and helped me relax a bit... Every lens even the brand new ones come with something inside... in particular the zoom lenses are the ones getting most of the dust inside because of this movement of air inside everytime you turn the focus ring. I will have to live with it...

 Cristianxb1983's gear list:Cristianxb1983's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Chris59 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,437
Re: Dust inside lens?
1

Cristianxb1983 wrote:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply. As someone mentioned here... I should stop being a perfectionist...After posting the thread I read and article about this and helped me relax a bit... Every lens even the brand new ones come with something inside... in particular the zoom lenses are the ones getting most of the dust inside because of this movement of air inside everytime you turn the focus ring. I will have to live with it...

It's not that you should stop being a "perfectionist", it's just that a few specks of dust inside a lens will not affect image quality at all.

 Chris59's gear list:Chris59's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8
Davi7d777
Davi7d777 Regular Member • Posts: 372
Re: Dust inside lens?
1

Have never believed those that claim dust inside or outside a lens on outside glass does not affect image quality. Indeed such may not significantly noticeably affect image quality though suspect dust does have subtle negative consequences. I have noticed some dust inside my new lenses going back decades. Recently noticed a big hair-like strand of dust in the center of my Sigma F2.8 DN lens, just on the inside of the sealed inner lens. No amount of shaking dislodged it but I was able to get it to jump off to the outside by using an anti static tool.

What bothers me is that lens manufacturers apparently still don't bother to set up work places that are reasonably dust free. Here in Silicon Valley semiconductor manufacturers many years ago figured out how to keep air in their sensitive work places dust free. My suspicion is lens manufacturers have not kept up with that technology simply because photographers don't complain.   A key reason is until recently for both camera and lens manufacturers there haven't been ways to provide public feedback so they could just ignore us.    But the Internet changes that.  I'll bet if people on sites like this discussed and complained about dust that they would all take notice.

-- hide signature --

David

 Davi7d777's gear list:Davi7d777's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +6 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,433
Re: Dust inside lens?
4

I stuck a piece of tape on my lens. About 6x4mm, larger than some dust

then shot this :

it would not look any different without that piece of tape.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,610
Re: Dust inside lens?
2

FrancoD wrote:

I stuck a piece of tape on my lens. About 6x4mm, larger than some dust

then shot this :

it would not look any different without that piece of tape.

A simple yet effective test. There have been others posted over the years that also demonstrate no visible impact.

Cheers,
Doug

Chris59 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,437
Re: Dust inside lens?
2

FrancoD wrote:

I stuck a piece of tape on my lens. About 6x4mm, larger than some dust

then shot this :

it would not look any different without that piece of tape.

Given that we intentionally block most of the lens with its iris, a little bit of dust won't make any difference at all.  An impressive example of an image with the tape on the worst possible spot (on the front element) on the lens.

Natural variability in lens samples due to manufacturing tolerance makes a far, far greater difference than a speck or two of dust inside the lens can possibly make.

 Chris59's gear list:Chris59's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,433
Re: Dust inside lens?

Nothing new here, I have done that sort of thing for customers over decades however I was never able to convince the OCD types.

Not that , once I realised the problem, I would spend any more time with them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads