Ricoh GRZ Rumor

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
MattTemple Regular Member • Posts: 117
Ricoh GRZ Rumor

A friend in Japan sent me a 2016 rumor for a GRII replacement. The GRZ was labeled as a more "tamokutekina" (versatile) camera and more of a modern GX100/200 camera. It mentions a smaller body with a 20 megapixel sensor with a 24-60mm f1.7-2.8 lens, image stabilization, b&w film emulation with grain control, snap focus, dual auto-focus system. There is some other information which I haven't translated yet. This is an apparent GR replacement and not an additional camera.

luck002 New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Ricoh GRZ Rumor

MattTemple wrote:

A friend in Japan sent me a 2016 rumor for a GRII replacement. The GRZ was labeled as a more "tamokutekina" (versatile) camera and more of a modern GX100/200 camera. It mentions a smaller body with a 20 megapixel sensor with a 24-60mm f1.7-2.8 lens, image stabilization, b&w film emulation with grain control, snap focus, dual auto-focus system. There is some other information which I haven't translated yet. This is an apparent GR replacement and not an additional camera.

Smaller body with that kinda lens only work with smartphone's sensor.

OP MattTemple Regular Member • Posts: 117

luck002 wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

A friend in Japan sent me a 2016 rumor for a GRII replacement. The GRZ was labeled as a more "tamokutekina" (versatile) camera and more of a modern GX100/200 camera. It mentions a smaller body with a 20 megapixel sensor with a 24-60mm f1.7-2.8 lens, image stabilization, b&w film emulation with grain control, snap focus, dual auto-focus system. There is some other information which I haven't translated yet. This is an apparent GR replacement and not an additional camera.

Smaller body with that kinda lens only work with smartphone's sensor.

Tell that to Sony and their RX100

Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Contributing Member • Posts: 664

MattTemple wrote:

Interesting. There's enough information to make this sound plausible. But doesn't a zoom lens camera sound more likely to be in addition to the GRII?

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I delete them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Nikon D70s +5 more
kuuan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,649

right, a modern GX100/200 but now with a 1" sensor? Would be promising, a competitor to Sony RX100

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony A7, NEX5n, Ricoh GXR M, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/
lens tests: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuanslenstests/collections

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

Interesting. There's enough information to make this sound plausible. But doesn't a zoom lens camera sound more likely to be in addition to the GRII?

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

It said "Chikan" which means replacement.

Earthrise
Earthrise Contributing Member • Posts: 657

I like the idea of this, done well and with at least a 1" sensor it would be worth a look.

But I wonder if the rumor is forum talk gone full circle.  There was talk of such a cam on here and the ricohforum 4 years or so ago.

Earthrise's gear list:Earthrise's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR Mount A12

Earthrise wrote:

I like the idea of this, done well and with at least a 1" sensor it would be worth a look.

But I wonder if the rumor is forum talk gone full circle. There was talk of such a cam on here and the ricohforum 4 years or so ago.

It wasn't on any forum but on letterhead which I will not divulge on here.

Tungsten Nordstein

MattTemple wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

Chikan jokes aside, then I believe you and it's good news. I wonder when it will happen? I want to see this camera. Was this something like an internal memo or more like a press release?

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

Earthrise

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

But I wonder if the rumor is forum talk gone full circle. There was talk of such a cam on here and the ricohforum 4 years or so ago.

Cool, interesting Indeed.  Perhaps Ricoh do read the forums

Tough competition against the RX100 and LX100, and Canon's GX variations etc.  But I would welcome it.

Earthrise wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

Cool, interesting Indeed. Perhaps Ricoh do read the forums

Tough competition against the RX100 and LX100, and Canon's GX variations etc. But I would welcome it.

Ricoh doesn't care about anything outside of Asia.

Earthrise

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

Cool, interesting Indeed. Perhaps Ricoh do read the forums

Tough competition against the RX100 and LX100, and Canon's GX variations etc. But I would welcome it.

Ricoh doesn't care about anything outside of Asia.

No, I don't think they read any forums either.

Will be curious to see if anything comes of this.  Thanks for sharing.

bjzwaan
bjzwaan Contributing Member • Posts: 816

kuuan wrote:

right, a modern GX100/200 but now with a 1" sensor? Would be promising, a competitor to Sony RX100

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony A7, NEX5n, Ricoh GXR M, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/
lens tests: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuanslenstests/collections

Personally, I would not like a move to a 1" sensor. Although it is larger that a typical compact camera one, still has more limitations than an APS-C size sensor. I do feel that I need to be modest in this forum as I have a GRii for only a couple of months, it was the combination of large sensor, fixed lens and a small package that drew me in. And, it has so much delivered on these aspects, man!

So, I only really miss proper weather sealing and maybe snappier focussing. Both can be met within the same package, thus maintaining the tried and tested and brilliant ergonomics.

Cheers,

Bas

Ps. More DR is obviously always welcome. If this means the next generation sensors, well we probably get more pixels as well...

Archiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,560

MattTemple wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

I thought 'chikan' is the Japanese word for 'gropey pervert on a train'?

But the camera sounds like a RX100 type camera with a 1" sensor.  I'd definitely buy such a Ricoh, assuming it has GR design DNA.

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

rondom Senior Member • Posts: 2,523

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

So it's not a "rumor".

Could it be that some Ricoh guys were exchanging ideas similar to what's happening in these pages?

Few years ago there was an interview with a Ricoh executive who openly talked  about zoom GR. (Although, that wasn't a replacement)

It's very much possible that they toyed with the idea and gave up eventually- or it was killed by upper management.

In case of Nikon, their DL project was killed much further down the road.

Tungsten Nordstein

MattTemple wrote:

I like this words. 'smaller body'. and also this ones. 'dual auto-focus system'

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

Tungsten Nordstein

rondom wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

So it's not a "rumor".

Could it be that some Ricoh guys were exchanging ideas similar to what's happening in these pages?

Few years ago there was an interview with a Ricoh executive who openly talked about zoom GR. (Although, that wasn't a replacement)

It's very much possible that they toyed with the idea and gave up eventually- or it was killed by upper management.

Yes, it's all too tantalisingly both clear and unclear. A rumour but at the same time it's on a real piece of paper or digital file. Also the document is from last year. So why the long wait? And then if they are suggesting it will replace the GRII, that seems so definite that a bunch of guys tossing ideas around would surely not say that.

I remember now a GRIII rumour same time last year where they quoted a Ricoh boss and that also discussed possible new focal lengths:

http://thenewcamera.com/good-news-ricoh-gr-iii-is-coming/

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

rondom wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

So it's not a "rumor".

Few years ago there was an interview with a Ricoh executive who openly talked about zoom GR. (Although, that wasn't a replacement)

Yes, it's all too tantalisingly unclear and mysterious. A rumour but at the same time it's on a real piece of paper or digital file. Also the document is from last year. So why the long wait? And then if they are suggesting it will replace the GRII, that seems so definite that a bunch of guys tossing ideas around would surely not say that.

I remember now a GRIII rumour same time last year where they quoted a Ricoh boss and that also discussed possible new focal lengths:

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

The Nikon DL series was cancelled because they couldn't figure out how to manufacture them cost efficiently

Tungsten Nordstein

MattTemple wrote:

rondom wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

So it's not a "rumor".

Yes, it's all too tantalisingly unclear and mysterious. A rumour but at the same time it's on a real piece of paper or digital file. Also the document is from last year. So why the long wait? And then if they are suggesting it will replace the GRII, that seems so definite that a bunch of guys tossing ideas around would surely not say that.

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

The Nikon DL series was cancelled because they couldn't figure out how to manufacture them cost efficiently

Matt. Any more translation coming, please?

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

MattTemple wrote:

rondom wrote:

MattTemple wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

So it's not a "rumor".

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

Matt. Any more translation coming, please?

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

I'm slowly working on it.
No mention of view finder or wi-fi.
It mentions video but not format
Size - 105mm - 59mm - 35mm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads