where to find DCS Pro Back 645 M battery wiring?

Started Oct 1, 2017 | Discussions
gkase Junior Member • Posts: 34
where to find DCS Pro Back 645 M battery wiring?

Hello...just acquired a pro back with a non functional battery...anyone have a schematic or further info so I might be able to either repair or replicate with 3d printer? these, as we all know are not available anymore...plus, it sure would be great to get hold of completer Kodak tech repair manual to be able to repair the back should it ever have issues...anyone?

thanks

dylanthomas456 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: where to find DCS Pro Back 645 M battery wiring?

I have also got a hold of a kodak digital back for the mamyia and a battery for it. Are there any chargers out there for the battery? I have been checking eBay daily for them and have had no luck.

OP gkase Junior Member • Posts: 34

I got a charger with my Pro Back...if we can find a wiring diagram or pin-out diagram for the battery, I could  probably figure out how to build a simple one

Alexey.Danilchenko Senior Member • Posts: 1,304

You don't need wiring if you have a battery - you need to take it apart and replace cells inside - it uses 2 x 18650 cells so you can get Panasonic NCR18650B - here for example.

I would advise to get the replacement elements with tabs welded on so it is easier to solder.

Opening the battery is fairly easy put a knife alongside the joint on each of 4 sides in turn and firmly tap on it with a hammer (just enough to cut through the plastic). The circuit board and battery cells inside are also attached to the bottom of the battery case via plastic pin and to the top with sticky padding so the two halves won't come apart easily. Just pull the top bit with your hand until it comes off. The bottom bit you will need to take out and break the plastic pin (you can melt it in place later with soldering iron). Once the board is out the cells  need to be cut off their tabs (they are welded to the tabs). You then reattach the board to the bottom of the case, melt the plastic pin to keep it in place attach and solder on the new cells (be quick so the batteries don't overheat). You can then test charge it  and after all is fine, pit some glue on the sides of the case and attach the top. I usually smooth the gaps with black Sugru.

Link on Wowcamera with photos (use google translator).

Hi Alexey! as usual, you are incredibly helpful and generous with your knowledge...I thank you very much...also, I'm going to look into creating new batteries with 3D printing or maybe simple poured mold epoxy or something...these batteries are crazy rare and even when non-working are super expensive...anyway...thanks again...

And, I have one more question for you...I know the Russian community  is really into the Kodak DSLRs...do you know if anyone has the detailed tech repair manuals for the Pro Back series? just curious...

best

George

3d printing the case will not help you much - LiIon battery packs like this need controller inside (circuit that will prevent over charging and over depletion).

The resources on Wowcamera and my efforts in the last 2 years were mostly directed to Probacks not SLR/n. You will not find service manual for Proback - it does not exist per se. What existed basically allowed replacing distinct parts in proback (mainboard, imager board etc). No schematics exist outside of Kodak I believe. We reversed some parts of it (to do with imager board or camera comms) but not much - main circuit board from what I recall is 6 layers and is difficult to trace. The most common problem (loosing camera connection) if not caused by broken flex is usually uncurable (the REQ signal gets garbled).

hmmm...I'll have to do some more digging (and translating!) on Wowcamera...there is not a lot on the web for the Kodak Pro Backs...my interest came up when I first tried one and was blown away by the image quality...and I was lucky enough to find one for a reasonable price recently...I guess I'll do a search under your name at Wow and see what comes up...thanks Alexey...

gkase wrote:

hmmm...I'll have to do some more digging (and translating!) on Wowcamera...there is not a lot on the web for the Kodak Pro Backs...my interest came up when I first tried one and was blown away by the image quality...and I was lucky enough to find one for a reasonable price recently...I guess I'll do a search under your name at Wow and see what comes up...thanks Alexey...

Main thread is here http://wowcamera.info/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=283

Hardware thread is here http://wowcamera.info/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=815

The image quality from Proback is in my eyes hard to beat (without taking a mortgage for new Phase One backs). The colour is outstanding and with Kodak profiles (I adapted them for ACR/Lightroom) or RPP - very little is needed to get the good colour out.

Alexey...do you know the DC voltage output  of the  of the AC to DC Kodak battery charger wall wart? Is it something like 8volts or 12 volts? and is there a "studio" power supply for the back of 8volts or is that supplied by firewire tethering?

gkase wrote:

Alexey...do you know the DC voltage output of the of the AC to DC Kodak battery charger wall wart? Is it something like 8volts or 12 volts? and is there a "studio" power supply for the back of 8volts or is that supplied by firewire tethering?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60219956

Hi...one more really stupid question...I finally got one of the batteries to work and charge...now, I can't figure out how to get the plastic sensor protective cover off of the back! I see the release switch, but it does not budge...any thoughts?

gkase wrote:

Hi...one more really stupid question...I finally got one of the batteries to work and charge...now, I can't figure out how to get the plastic sensor protective cover off of the back! I see the release switch, but it does not budge...any thoughts?

Erm - user manual?

The switch is a lever - press the lever and push the switch inside the back, then the  latch will be released.

Hi...thanks for that...where is the switch located on the back? I see that the lever is up on the top left front side of the back...but I don't see a "switch"...

Lever is the switch - once turned it can be pressed down. Read the manual please.

Hi Alexy...very kind of you to indulge my question....it really helped because I only saw the first mention of the release lever and never saw the "push it in" part mentioned many pages later...once again, small piece of info, but it really stalled me, so thanks again.

sanepunk New Member • Posts: 2

Don't buy a Kodak DCS, they are no longer repairable and will become an expensive paperweight the second it stops working, it's also got way too many quirks to be really enjoyable to use. Still check on ebay.

sanepunk wrote:

Don't buy a Kodak DCS, they are no longer repairable and will become an expensive paperweight the second it stops working, it's also got way too many quirks to be really enjoyable to use. Still check on ebay.

Re: Proback 645 which this thread is all about - what a load of nonsense. Non repairable - may be, but only if hardware goes wrong and usually that happens a lot earlier in ProBack life (the only thing that goes wrong there is  camera connection in some logic boards). The rest is simply untrue - firmware for Proback 645M (the last version I have done here) is actually richer in functionality than Phase One Pnn+ backs and supporting the very same cameras (including DF and DF+).

I have two Probacks 645M from the early generation (serial number 15x range so in the first 200 of Probacks built) from 2001 and they work perfectly fine.

davidlam Regular Member • Posts: 119

Agreed !

dual12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

Had one that I sold in 2012 after owning it for 9 years. Lovely images. Glad yours are still working.

dual12's gear list:dual12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads