Galaxy S8 Raw Photos on SD Card?

Started Sep 29, 2017 | Questions
requa
requa Contributing Member • Posts: 852
Galaxy S8 Raw Photos on SD Card?

I tracked down the information on how to capture raw images on the Samsung Galaxy S8 using the native camera app. I was surprised to learn that, although I had set the app to save images on my SD card, the paired raw and JPEG images saved to internal memory. Is there a workaround to change this behavior so the images will save on the SD card?

Thanks,

Dan

 requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Canon G5 X II
ANSWER:
aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,595
Re: Galaxy S8 Raw Photos on SD Card?

requa wrote:

I tracked down the information on how to capture raw images on the Samsung Galaxy S8 using the native camera app. I was surprised to learn that, although I had set the app to save images on my SD card, the paired raw and JPEG images saved to internal memory. Is there a workaround to change this behavior so the images will save on the SD card?

Thanks,

Try this.

Settings -> Apps -> Camera -> More settings -> Storage location -> SD card

I am still finding my way.  I got my S8 only yesterday.

 aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +12 more
requa
OP requa Contributing Member • Posts: 852
Re: Galaxy S8 Raw Photos on SD Card?

Thanks, but that just takes you to the same setting screen from within the camera app that I had already set to save to the SD card. The app does save properly to the SD card when I shoot in modes other than pro or when I shoot in pro mode without the raw image option. It's only when I enable the raw option and shoot in pro to use it that it reverts to the internal memory (including the associated JPEG).

Dan

 requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Canon G5 X II
aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,595
Re: Galaxy S8 Raw Photos on SD Card?

requa wrote:

Thanks, but that just takes you to the same setting screen from within the camera app that I had already set to save to the SD card. The app does save properly to the SD card when I shoot in modes other than pro or when I shoot in pro mode without the raw image option. It's only when I enable the raw option and shoot in pro to use it that it reverts to the internal memory (including the associated JPEG).

Dan

Now I know what you mean.  I have done some testing with the camera.  Shooting RAW seemed only possible in Pro mode, and switching to Pro mode a reminder is displayed to say that a RAW file and a compressed JPEG file will be stored in internal memory.

Any way to get raw photos stored to SD card?

I can understand why but if that's the only option, we have to back up and delete images from time to time to free up internal space.  Treat it like a 32G memory card.    

 aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +12 more
requa
OP requa Contributing Member • Posts: 852
Re: Galaxy S8 Raw Photos on SD Card?

There's good information in your linked page, including reassurance that I'm not alone in wondering about this. I had thought about getting in the habit of transferring the images to the SD card after shooting but had not really thought about approaches to automating that transfer. Realistically, I doubt I'll really do much raw shooting on a phone anyway, but I was curious about possible options.

Thanks,

Dan

 requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Canon G5 X II
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
You can use Open Camera and set the save location to the SD Card.
1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en

Open Camera is a fully featured and completely free Camera app for Android phones and tablets. Features:
* Option to auto-stabilize so your pictures are perfectly level no matter what (see example image).
* Expose your camera's functionality: support for focus modes, scene modes, color effects, white balance, ISO, exposure compensation/lock, face detection, torch.
* Video recording (including HD).
* Handy remote controls: timer (with optional voice countdown), auto-repeat mode (with configurable delay).
* Option to take photo remotely by making a noise (e.g., voice, whistle), or by voice command "cheese".
* Configurable volume keys.
* Optimise GUI for left or right-handed users.
* Zoom via multi-touch gesture and single-touch control.
* Option to lock orientation to portrait or landscape for photo or video. Upside-down preview option for use with attachable lenses.
* Choice of save folder (including support for Storage Access Framework).
* Disable shutter sound.
* Overlay a choice of grids and crop guides.
* Optional GPS location tagging (geotagging) of photos and videos; for photos this includes compass direction (GPSImgDirection, GPSImgDirectionRef).
* Apply date and timestamp, location coordinates, and custom text to photos; store date/time and location as video subtitles (.SRT).
* Yes you can take a selfie (also known as front camera), includes support for "screen flash".
* Support for (some) external microphones.
* Widget to automatically take a photo after launching.
* Support for HDR and Exposure Bracketing.
* Support for Camera2 API: manual focus distance; manual ISO; manual exposure time; manual white balance temperature; RAW (DNG) files.
* Dynamic range optimisation mode.
* Small file size.
* Completely free, and no ads in the app (I only run ads on the website). Open Source.

Thank you
Russell

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,595
Re: Galaxy S8 Raw Photos on SD Card?

requa wrote:

There's good information in your linked page, including reassurance that I'm not alone in wondering about this. I had thought about getting in the habit of transferring the images to the SD card after shooting but had not really thought about approaches to automating that transfer. Realistically, I doubt I'll really do much raw shooting on a phone anyway, but I was curious about possible options.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks for bringing it up too, otherwise it is going to take some time for me to find out.  For people who take a lot of photos in RAW, that's one major drawback.

 aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +12 more
aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,595
Re: You can use Open Camera and set the save location to the SD Card.

Open Camera Help

I followed the instructions and tried a couple of times with Camera2 API turned on.
But as you can see in the first screenshot below, it is not possible to change the location to SD card since the path and parent folder is fixed.  I can only create a new folder within.
Photos taken are still saved using internal memory as the second image shows.

Have I done everything correct?

 aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +12 more
requa
OP requa Contributing Member • Posts: 852
Re: You can use Open Camera and set the save location to the SD Card.
1

I think I found it. In the FAQ from the Open Camera developer's site, I found instructions for using external storage. I followed the instructions that apply to Android 5 rather than enabling adoptable storage. From the site:

How can I save to my external SD card? - This depends on your Android version:

  • Android 4.3 or below - Select Save location under Settings/"More camera controls", and navigate to a folder on your SD card. Unfortunately the path varies depending on the device, so you'll have to look this up or find it out yourself - it's usually one of the folders inside /storage/ (press "Parent Folder" until you're in "/storage/") or /mnt/ (press "Parent Folder" until you're in "/", then select "mnt"). Then have a look inside one of the folders in there - note that confusingly it won't be "sdcard", but will be named something else, e.g., "extSdCard").
  • Android 4.4 - Unfortunately it is not possible for 3rd party apps to write to external SD cards. This is not a bug or missing feature in Open Camera, rather that Google have blocked write access to external SD cards in Android 4.4. There is one exception: if you use a folder in on your SD card (use the "New folder" option to create the folders/sub-folders if necessary), that should allow saving to the SD card. Note that all files in this folder will be deleted if you uninstall Open Camera, so be careful that you don't lose your photo/videos if you use this method, and then uninstall!
  • Android 5.0 onwards - The restrictions on SD cards introduced in Android 4.4 still apply, however instead you can enable Settings/More camera controls/"Use Storage Access Framework", and this should allow you to save to external SD cards. If when choosing a folder, you only see "Recent", you may need to click on the three dots at the top right to open the menu, to enable showing the drives (e.g., "Show internal storage", and hopefully you'll see something similar for the SD card). Note that a known issue is that the on-screen "free memory" will still show the free internal storage rather than on the SD card (this is an Android limitation - when using Storage Access Framework, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the free space on the drive).
  • Android 6.0 onwards - From Android 6, some devices support "Adoptable Storage" allowing you to select to use an SD card as internal storage. Note that not all devices support this, even if running Android 6 or later. If your device doesn't support this, or you want to instead use an SD card as "portable storage", you'll have to use the Storage Access Framework method as with Android 5 (or the method as with Android 4.4).
 requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Canon G5 X II
aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,595
Re: You can use Open Camera and set the save location to the SD Card.

requa wrote:

I think I found it. In the FAQ from the Open Camera developer's site, I found instructions for using external storage. I followed the instructions that apply to Android 5 rather than enabling adoptable storage. From the site:

How can I save to my external SD card? - This depends on your Android version:

  • Android 4.3 or below - Select Save location under Settings/"More camera controls", and navigate to a folder on your SD card. Unfortunately the path varies depending on the device, so you'll have to look this up or find it out yourself - it's usually one of the folders inside /storage/ (press "Parent Folder" until you're in "/storage/") or /mnt/ (press "Parent Folder" until you're in "/", then select "mnt"). Then have a look inside one of the folders in there - note that confusingly it won't be "sdcard", but will be named something else, e.g., "extSdCard").
  • Android 4.4 - Unfortunately it is not possible for 3rd party apps to write to external SD cards. This is not a bug or missing feature in Open Camera, rather that Google have blocked write access to external SD cards in Android 4.4. There is one exception: if you use a folder in on your SD card (use the "New folder" option to create the folders/sub-folders if necessary), that should allow saving to the SD card. Note that all files in this folder will be deleted if you uninstall Open Camera, so be careful that you don't lose your photo/videos if you use this method, and then uninstall!
  • Android 5.0 onwards - The restrictions on SD cards introduced in Android 4.4 still apply, however instead you can enable Settings/More camera controls/"Use Storage Access Framework", and this should allow you to save to external SD cards. If when choosing a folder, you only see "Recent", you may need to click on the three dots at the top right to open the menu, to enable showing the drives (e.g., "Show internal storage", and hopefully you'll see something similar for the SD card). Note that a known issue is that the on-screen "free memory" will still show the free internal storage rather than on the SD card (this is an Android limitation - when using Storage Access Framework, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the free space on the drive).
  • Android 6.0 onwards - From Android 6, some devices support "Adoptable Storage" allowing you to select to use an SD card as internal storage. Note that not all devices support this, even if running Android 6 or later. If your device doesn't support this, or you want to instead use an SD card as "portable storage", you'll have to use the Storage Access Framework method as with Android 5 (or the method as with Android 4.4).

It works!  I did not turn on Storage Access Framework because I thought that's the reason why photos were stored using phone memory.  Quite the opposite.

This shot in DNG format is stored in the folder I created in the SD card.
Thanks to you and Russell.

 aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads