Apple Aperture 3.6 with Nikon D850?

Started Sep 27, 2017 | Discussions
msjhaffey Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
Apple Aperture 3.6 with Nikon D850?

Quick question: will Aperture 3.6 (which I know is obsolete) be able to deal with the RAW files from a new Nikon D850?  Although Aperture is very old, it's still my editor of choice.

-- hide signature --

Sean

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +1 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 5,701
Re: Apple Aperture 3.6 with Nikon D850?

msjhaffey wrote:

Quick question: will Aperture 3.6 (which I know is obsolete) be able to deal with the RAW files from a new Nikon D850? Although Aperture is very old, it's still my editor of choice.

I don't think Apple has even released a macOS update for that camera. And some reports have indicated that the latest raw converters Apple has released didn't work in Aperture anyway.

Adobe supports them, so you could use DNG Converter in the meantime. Or Lightroom if you're finally gonna make the move away from Aperture.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
benfriesen Junior Member • Posts: 33

As others have stated, all indications are that any new Apple updates to the raw capabilities in the OS are no longer accessible to Aperture. The simplest way I can see to get access to those updates is the Raw Power app by Gentlemen Coders. It can read the new raw updates and plugs into Photos. Then you can work with the images however you wish from there (edit, export, etc.) Or just use a non-Apple program, one that supports the D850 now or will soon.

Hope you find what will work best for you. I still really like Aperture too.

OP msjhaffey Senior Member • Posts: 1,546

Many thanks for the excellent pointer!

I'll almost certainly get this.  However ... at the moment they don't support D850 RAW as far as I can tell.  (I've dropped them an email).

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Sean

Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +1 more
bchaffer New Member • Posts: 2

I also am in the same boat as Sean, and am still using Aperture 3.6 heavily every day (with RAW files from a Nikon D810). The workflow, color balance controls and user interface are perfect for me in Aperture. In fact, in my editing workflow, I only use a small portion of Aperture's feature set, and it does that part so well and so efficiently that I know that switching to Lightroom would mean extra hours in post-processing for me on every session. So I am holding out so long as I can. I have a faint hope that Photos.app might grow to be a suitable replacement for me, but Lightroom is probably in my future.

With that said, I am holding out hope that Apple will publish a RAW compatibility update to include the D850. Since these are system-wide libraries that are also in use by the actively developed Photos.app, I don't see why they wouldn't be visible to Aperture once they become available. After all, RAW compatibility came out for the D810 after Aperture was retired, and that works fine. So my plan is to wait a while, hope for a RAW update from Apple that includes D850 support and then download sample D850 NEF files from the web to see if Aperture can handle them. If it does, my order for a D850 will be placed moments thereafter.

My bigger fear is that Apple may decide that the users it cares about are the marauding hoards of iPhone users taking selfies and portrait mode snapshots and ignore updates for the pro cameras altogether. I wonder this because how hard could it be to add device support for a new camera? It would seem as though this would just be a single data file with values that describe the attributes of the image sensor, and that this data would come from the manufacturer of the camera. I doubt that new software needs to be written — even less so than would be the case with printer drivers.

But what do I know?

bchaffer wrote:

With that said, I am holding out hope that Apple will publish a RAW compatibility update to include the D850. Since these are system-wide libraries that are also in use by the actively developed Photos.app, I don't see why they wouldn't be visible to Aperture once they become available. After all, RAW compatibility came out for the D810 after Aperture was retired, and that works fine. So my plan is to wait a while, hope for a RAW update from Apple that includes D850 support and then download sample D850 NEF files from the web to see if Aperture can handle them. If it does, my order for a D850 will be placed moments thereafter.

I think the reason people think newer raw updates won't be available to Aperture is because that has already occurred. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8030691?start=0&tstart=0 eg (and léonie is the resident Apple discussions Aperture expert).

My bigger fear is that Apple may decide that the users it cares about are the marauding hoards of iPhone users taking selfies and portrait mode snapshots and ignore updates for the pro cameras altogether. I wonder this because how hard could it be to add device support for a new camera? It would seem as though this would just be a single data file with values that describe the attributes of the image sensor, and that this data would come from the manufacturer of the camera. I doubt that new software needs to be written — even less so than would be the case with printer drivers.

That's probably not the decision process; they simply are making software that use software they support and not bothering with the deprecated stuff. Odds are there are all kinds of things prone to breaking in Aperture. In any case, the result is the same: odds are high the current situation will continue and even when a D850 raw is supported by the OS it won't be supported by Aperture.

I've always been kinda surprised by the fact Apple has and does support so many RAW formats, given that to a large extent their competitors (Canon, Fuji, Nikon, etc) don't bother just opening up their raw and making it standard. If I was Apple, I'd tell 'em to provide their own converters. At least Adobe does. Maybe you should contact Nikon and tell them to get on it. 

But you could always convert to DNG and continue to use Aperture, since at least it runs in High Sierra.

-- hide signature --

— Edgar Degas

OP msjhaffey Senior Member • Posts: 1,546

robgendreau wrote:

But you could always convert to DNG and continue to use Aperture, since at least it runs in High Sierra.

Really?  How?  And does DNG retain the RAW properties?

-- hide signature --

Sean

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,265

msjhaffey wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

Really? How? And does DNG retain the RAW properties?

The DNG (Digital Negative ) format is Adobe's idea of a generic RAW format.  There are a few cameras that offer the option of generating DNG-format RAWs in-camera, but for the most part, the way that you get RAW data into the DNG format is by using one of Adobe's free standalone DNG converters (see Downloads section of linked page).

As to how well it retains the properties of any given RAW format, I don't know.  It's hard to believe that every format gets converted 100% in every detail.

Adobe extends the DNG format periodically as required to support new RAW formats.  So there might be some chance of doing a DNG conversion for a recently-added RAW format and then discovering that your editing software couldn't read that DNG file.

msjhaffey wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

Really? How? And does DNG retain the RAW properties?

DNG is a raw format in that it contains the raw data.

Indeed, you can even embed the entire raw file within the DNG if you wish.

https://petapixel.com/2015/12/08/dng-the-pros-cons-and-myths-of-the-adobe-raw-file-format/

Apple uses DNG as the raw format for its iOS cameras. Pentax uses it as a raw format for it's cameras, and so does Hasselblad.

Consider that ANY software other than that which is in your camera, or maybe in the software that the manufacturer provided, has to convert that data to something you can use.

And BTW, the D850 is now supported in Lr/Ps.

-- hide signature --

— Edgar Degas

LuxLuthor Regular Member • Posts: 121

Apple mostly uses frameworks. Frameworks can change overtime. Often parts of frameworks no longer work with older operating systems. So while raw adapters may be in newer versions of say, the image core framework, older versions of OS may not be able to access the newer parts of that framework.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads