On1 Photo 10 vs On1 Photo RAW 2017

Started Sep 27, 2017 | Discussions
Claudio Galli Contributing Member • Posts: 650
On1 Photo 10 vs On1 Photo RAW 2017

It’s me or are the programs ?

I have tried to process a photo with On1 Photo RAW but, after having fiddled with the program quite a bit without obtaining a satisfactory result, I switched back to Photo 10 and in far less time I have reached a better result.

The original photo is a jpg one and on both programs I had to de-activate the lens correction due to the bad results (probably due to the lens correction already active in the camera).

Here are the images, please let me have your opinion.

Thanks,

Claudio

Original image

Photo RAW

Photo 10

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +3 more
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,285
Re: On1 Photo 10 vs On1 Photo RAW 2017

Not sure what you did in the respective settings so it is difficult to compare other than to say that it appears you applied to much HDR or Dynamic Contrast in the On1RAW.  Care to post your approaches and what effect are you trying to achieve?

OP Claudio Galli Contributing Member • Posts: 650

Adam2 wrote:

Not sure what you did in the respective settings so it is difficult to compare other than to say that it appears you applied to much HDR or Dynamic Contrast in the On1RAW. Care to post your approaches and what effect are you trying to achieve?

HDR certainly not applied at all. Probably Dynamic Contrast.

I do not remember exactly the filters applied. I just wanted to achieve nothing special, but I was looking for the same results obtained (quite easily) with Photo 10 as from my picture.

Claudio

Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +3 more
Gerry Pasternack Veteran Member • Posts: 4,059

I have found that the latest On1 release in not necessarily the best On1release.

I am currently using RAW2017.5, having abandoned RAW2017.6 .  Browser problems --too many thumbnail distortions and crashes.

Also, On1 RAW seems very sensitive to computer platform and raw format.  I'm sure that native design and test platform is Mac.  Not much testing on anything else.

Not surprised in your findings.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Frank104375 Regular Member • Posts: 264

Claudio,

I have been using the ON1 products for a long time and in the latest version of their Photo Raw software I have found that the settings in most all cases result in big changes to the image with relatively small movement of the adjustment sliders.

if you applied the Dynamic Contrast filter at its standard setting it is usually pretty harsh. I have found that in almost all instances I never set the three Dynamic Contrast adjustment settings higher than 9, 9, 9, and have had pretty good results. To my eye once you get past 10 in those settings stuff starts to get pretty crunchy in a hurry.  Also many times after you apply the settings go to the mask and create a luminosity mask and it will really make a nice change to the contrast adjustment.

I have been using this software right along, even with all of the trials and tribulations that it has presented, and have been getting very good results, at least for me. The software is improving but it should have been in a much better state now than it currently is. Don't give up, go back and try changing the settings and perhaps employ the luminosity mask and see if that does not help you achieve the look you are seeking.

Regards,

Frank

Frank104375's gear list:Frank104375's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Nikon Z 14-24mm F2.8 +10 more

Frank104375 wrote:

Claudio,

I have been using the ON1 products for a long time and in the latest version of their Photo Raw software I have found that the settings in most all cases result in big changes to the image with relatively small movement of the adjustment sliders.

if you applied the Dynamic Contrast filter at its standard setting it is usually pretty harsh. I have found that in almost all instances I never set the three Dynamic Contrast adjustment settings higher than 9, 9, 9, and have had pretty good results. To my eye once you get past 10 in those settings stuff starts to get pretty crunchy in a hurry. Also many times after you apply the settings go to the mask and create a luminosity mask and it will really make a nice change to the contrast adjustment.

I have been using this software right along, even with all of the trials and tribulations that it has presented, and have been getting very good results, at least for me. The software is improving but it should have been in a much better state now than it currently is. Don't give up, go back and try changing the settings and perhaps employ the luminosity mask and see if that does not help you achieve the look you are seeking.

Regards,

Frank

Many thanks Frank,

following your suggestions for the Dynamic Contrast  here is a quick result. Not the same as with On1 10, but much better than my previous one with Photo RAW.

Frank104375 Regular Member • Posts: 264

Claudio,

Looks quite a bit better than the other one you had posted. Not knowing all of the adjustments you made to the image just keep in mind that for some reason the adjustment sliders, in most but not all modules, react quite quickly at low settings. Play around with the luminosity masks as it can make a huge difference and of course you can always use the masking brush at any strength you desire to also tone down, or add to, some of the adjustments. Many times I even apply the masking brush to the luminosity mask to get things where I like them.

Don't give up, just keep trying different things and hopefully, sooner than later, they will get the ON1 Photo Raw software totally up to speed.

Frank

Frank104375's gear list:Frank104375's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Nikon Z 14-24mm F2.8 +10 more
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,285

Claudio Galli wrote:

Adam2 wrote:

Not sure what you did in the respective settings so it is difficult to compare other than to say that it appears you applied to much HDR or Dynamic Contrast in the On1RAW. Care to post your approaches and what effect are you trying to achieve?

HDR certainly not applied at all. Probably Dynamic Contrast.

I do not remember exactly the filters applied. I just wanted to achieve nothing special, but I was looking for the same results obtained (quite easily) with Photo 10 as from my picture.

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

I pulled your original image into On1 Raw.  It was well exposed though shot on a cloudy flat day.  Also, you are dealing with a bit of atmospheric haze.  Overall, the AF isn't that great and that is part of the challenge of the image as it appears from the exif that it was shot at a large aperture.  But be that as it may, I did a few rudimentary adjustments and came up with a reasonably realistic version.  Because of the underlying issues with this image and the overall composition, I think of this more as a snappy rather than something which I would labor over trying to create an artistic vision.

First, I opened up the shadows balancing the tonality better, added a bit of structure, reduced the haze slightly, and added a bit of vibrance.  The photo needed some color correction and I warmed it up slightly while pulling back a bit of the magenta tint.  Next, I worked in effects to add a bit dynamic contrast to maximize tonality (10, 13, 1 with protection of the highlights) - this keeps the DC off of the clouds.  Next, I worked on color by adding a sunshine filter with a gradient off of the sky (want to keep it a bit cooler).  Then I worked on the colors a bit by increasing the saturation in the sky, pulled it a bit more towards the cyan, pulled the yellows towards the greens, and increased the saturation in the orange roofs.

Again, this wasn't meant to be perfect but it was a quick, two minute approach which I think added some life to your photo without creating a weird, unrealistic HDR look.  Thoughts?

ATP62 Contributing Member • Posts: 698

Here is my attempt :

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,920

-- hide signature --

Claude

Many thanks to you all for your support!

Claudio

PJPfeiffer Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

here's my take using Photo RAW

PJPfeiffer's gear list:PJPfeiffer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Snapseed +3 more
SnowshoeLane Contributing Member • Posts: 564

Just for fun—fiddled with it a bit with a couple of ipad apps (the photos edit menu and max curve) to see what the result would be. I enjoy using photos posted here because I have fiddled with some of my own too much and have lost perspective. So, no on1 products used this time. I own a copy, but have been somewhat frustrated with how it works on Windows 7.

I do think a bit of haze removal might be good also.

SnowshoeLane's gear list:SnowshoeLane's gear list
Olympus SP-550 UZ Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D5600 +2 more

SnowshoeLane wrote:

Just for fun—fiddled with it a bit with a couple of ipad apps (the photos edit menu and max curve) to see what the result would be. I enjoy using photos posted here because I have fiddled with some of my own too much and have lost perspective. So, no on1 products used this time. I own a copy, but have been somewhat frustrated with how it works on Windows 7.

I use Win7 and don't have issues with performance

What video card and video ram do you have?

Mine meets the sys reqs, but sometimes I think that is the problem.

Olympus SP-550 UZ Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D5600 +2 more

SnowshoeLane wrote:

What video card and video ram do you have?

Mine meets the sys reqs, but sometimes I think that is the problem.

AMD info ...

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics
Memory Size - 2048 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1212 MHz

Thanks. That might be the difference. My NVidia chip only has 1 GB onboard memory.

Tested On1 yesterday. Seems to be working better since I updated to 11.6.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads