My review of X-E3

Started Sep 25, 2017 | Discussions
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,153
Re: My review of X-E3

jarek leo wrote:

I knew an Aussie dog that looked exactly like a Nova Scota Dusk Tolling Retriever. But each Aussie is different.

Best

Jarek

Cheers.

stevo23 wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

Thanks, she is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrreiver.

Best

Jarek

stevo23 wrote:

You had me at "sweet looking brown border-collie-like dog". Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Looks like a sweet one - I had an Australian Shepherd with the same expressions.

 stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,570
let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera
1

Miki Nemeth wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

I said "rangefinder styling", never said it has anything other than "looks" in common with rangefinders. I was born in 1962 so I know what a rangefinder, combined rangefinder

Hi Jarek,

...

As for the "rangefinder styling". I'd tend to agree with those who say that it is really not a meaningful name. Why not simply call it soap-box shape or something like that. Proud rangefinder owners could be really upset when calling any camera rangefinder styling, just because it has a soap-box shape.

I find this discussion completely pointless. Someone has done one of the first tests that can tell us more about the camera than the form we can see from the published product shots and now a few keep on about whether you could call this rangefinder styling. Use of the word styling implies clearly that it is not a rangefinder, so I propose we keep using that term.

The alternative would not be soap box anyway but soap bar. And let me tell you, it is longer ago that I held either a soap box or a soap bar than that I geld a rangefinder camera.

So please back to discussing the test.

 robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera

Thanks for standing by me. Funny thing - no Polish readers of my text reacted to the "rangefinder styling" phrase. Must be cultural.

Best

Jarek

robert1955 wrote:

Miki Nemeth wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

I said "rangefinder styling", never said it has anything other than "looks" in common with rangefinders. I was born in 1962 so I know what a rangefinder, combined rangefinder

Hi Jarek,

...

As for the "rangefinder styling". I'd tend to agree with those who say that it is really not a meaningful name. Why not simply call it soap-box shape or something like that. Proud rangefinder owners could be really upset when calling any camera rangefinder styling, just because it has a soap-box shape.

I find this discussion completely pointless. Someone has done one of the first tests that can tell us more about the camera than the form we can see from the published product shots and now a few keep on about whether you could call this rangefinder styling. Use of the word styling implies clearly that it is not a rangefinder, so I propose we keep using that term.

The alternative would not be soap box anyway but soap bar. And let me tell you, it is longer ago that I held either a soap box or a soap bar than that I geld a rangefinder camera.

So please back to discussing the test.

 jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
fullstop Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera
3

Yea its a bit of a problem for the X-E1/2 owners as their imitation plastic and metal pseudo rangefinder no longer has rangefinder styling it wii just look like anther camera. My Dad has one of those X-E1 cameras and he reckons it looks like a Leica but old uncle Ces will not have a bar of this he says it ain't a real camera ...... all these push buttons .

He has a old German thing not sure of its name but he has to take the bottom off and take out this cylinder and wait ages for the photos that come in this ling brown strip. I am sure it has a name as it is similar to this Russian one that he calls all sorts of names sometimes both cameras have the same name .

Anyway I bought Ces a iPhone7 he loves the touch screen and has become a demon with all the household appliances and also sends me photos of his cat all the time.

The other day he said he saw a video of this new Fuji X-E3 and reckons looks like his Panasonic microwave. He is wrapped and wants one because of the touch screen thing, hasn't figured the joy stick part but he thinks that it sounds like fun

Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,752
Re: Your thoughts on the XE3 with 80mm?

Hi Jarek,

Thanks for your review. (I can't read polish.) I am one of those who was keen to see the XE3, but I'm very much 'sitting on the fence' with the features (and omissions) they finally offered. Much of that has been discussed in other threads.

In the photo in your OP, you showed the camera with the new 80mm macro. Is that a stock shot, or did you in fact rent the 80mm lens too? I would love to hear how you found it. I have no doubts about the IQ, but it's Fuji's heaviest prime at 750g bare, and I'd be interested to hear how you found it in handling. I like macro, but I'm baulking at what I expect will be a very front heavy lens on small and light Fuji bodies.  It's double the weight of the XE3, and if used with the extension tubes or the TCs (that Fuji are touting) it will weigh more and be even more front heavy.  Did you try it handheld only, where the left hand can support the lens, or also on a tripod attached by the XE3's base plate screw socket where there is no support for the lens?

Many thanks,

Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera

That's hilarious!

Best

Jarek

 jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
fullstop Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera

Yea Ces is quite a handful not sure if he is smart or senile but at 87 I doubt if he cares what we think

jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: Your thoughts on the XE3 with 80mm?
1

I actually had the lens, but the store that loaned the equipment to me, which in turn received it from Fujfifilm Poland, told me I was not allowed to publish any shots taken with the lens as the firmware was not finalized. I only tried the lend on the camera and AF was hardly operational so the lens apparently needs some final firmware tweaking to make it work. I could not believe the size and weight – when I was handed the lens I said this must have been a mistake – it really looked to me like some long zoom for X- system. Regardless of its optical quality, which I suspect to be great in the final version given Fujifilm’s track record, I challenge the rationale behind such lens. I mean when you opt for APS-C format to get smaller cameras, what sense does it make to be offered a macro lens of the same – or greater - size and weight as full frame equivalents. X-E3 with this lens is extremely unbalanced.

Best

Jarek

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Jarek,

Thanks for your review. (I can't read polish.) I am one of those who was keen to see the XE3, but I'm very much 'sitting on the fence' with the features (and omissions) they finally offered. Much of that has been discussed in other threads.

In the photo in your OP, you showed the camera with the new 80mm macro. Is that a stock shot, or did you in fact rent the 80mm lens too? I would love to hear how you found it. I have no doubts about the IQ, but it's Fuji's heaviest prime at 750g bare, and I'd be interested to hear how you found it in handling. I like macro, but I'm baulking at what I expect will be a very front heavy lens on small and light Fuji bodies. It's double the weight of the XE3, and if used with the extension tubes or the TCs (that Fuji are touting) it will weigh more and be even more front heavy. Did you try it handheld only, where the left hand can support the lens, or also on a tripod attached by the XE3's base plate screw socket where there is no support for the lens?

Many thanks,

Rod

 jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
JohnnyLuddite Contributing Member • Posts: 748
Re: let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera

Excellent stuff.

 JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera

Thank you, and if you have any questiona that I might be able to answer please do not hesitate to ask.

Best

Jarek

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

Excellent stuff.

 jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: let's get back to the test. We all know the form of this camera

You have brought a healthy sense of humour to this mostly grave rangefinder versus soapbox dispute.

Thanks

Jarek

fullstop wrote:

Yea Ces is quite a handful not sure if he is smart or senile but at 87 I doubt if he cares what we think

 jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads