Deleted Photos

Started Sep 25, 2017 | Discussions
Confused of Malvern Senior Member • Posts: 1,296
Deleted Photos

I've accidentally deleted two days worth of vacation photos from the S D card (I was actually trying to back up the photos for safe keeping but had the opposite affect). It's a Sandisk ultra card. I haven't reformatted it or over-written the original images. Can they be recovered and if so, how?

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

Confused of Malvern's gear list:Confused of Malvern's gear list
Pentax K-3 +1 more
LightBug Senior Member • Posts: 2,386
Re: Deleted Photos

Confused of Malvern wrote:

I've accidentally deleted two days worth of vacation photos from the S D card (I was actually trying to back up the photos for safe keeping but had the opposite affect). It's a Sandisk ultra card. I haven't reformatted it or over-written the original images. Can they be recovered and if so, how?

Searching on google turns up some choices of SD card recovery.  I have no experience in this so can't really recommend any of them but maybe they are worth a look.

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax Q-S1 Sony a7R Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +10 more
Labe
MOD Labe Veteran Member • Posts: 8,619

sandisk have their own recovery software. Its printed on every packet . Try their website to get a download from them.

I use software called don't panic myself and select deep scan ( its a bought software )

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,368

I had exactly the same thing happen a few years back. Dont get a free programe they dont work i paid $30au and it worked perfectly.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5, EM5mk2 my toys.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1

trungtran Contributing Member • Posts: 743

I have used easeus.com in the past and it has done the job.

If you have another SD card. You can test out the software. Delete the files and try and recover it before running it on the card that needs to be recovered.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Sony a7 II
Paul-D700 New Member • Posts: 11

Hi,

I had a similar situation several years ago.  I used software called "Recuva," and was able to recover the deleted images.  I recommended the same to a friend, and he had similar success.

Paul

griddi
griddi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,297

trungtran wrote:

I have used easeus.com in the past and it has done the job.

If you have another SD card. You can test out the software. Delete the files and try and recover it before running it on the card that needs to be recovered.

Good advice !!!!!!!

Griddi.....

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,553

trungtran wrote:

Very good thinking. Try to repeat the process as you did it with the vacation photos using a spare card some junk photos, then try the software.

SpiltMilk Senior Member • Posts: 1,644

labe wrote:

sandisk have their own recovery software. Its printed on every packet . Try their website to get a download from them.

I use software called don't panic myself and select deep scan ( its a bought software )

I also recommend the free "Recuvva" program from the people who make CCleaner.

It's good, it works well.

The main "secret" is to do NOTHING with the SD card - find some undelete software then mount the card to the computer and run the undelete.

merops
merops Senior Member • Posts: 2,195

I bought several Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, and got a paper token with a serial number on for a free one-year subscription to RescuePRO, their 'Deluxe recovery software' with each of the cards. If you'd like the serial number etc off one of these let me know and I will pm it to you.

Donald93 New Member • Posts: 15

Recuva is strongly recommended. But if you use a Mac computer, here is also a freeware called RePicvid to recover deleted photos. I used it several times and it worked well.

OP Confused of Malvern Senior Member • Posts: 1,296
Disaster Averted!

merops wrote:

I bought several Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, and got a paper token with a serial number on for a free one-year subscription to RescuePRO, their 'Deluxe recovery software' with each of the cards. If you'd like the serial number etc off one of these let me know and I will pm it to you.

Thank you for the very kind offer Merops, which is much appreciated.  I've waited until I got home to check but you reminded me that I also had the same free subscription that came with the card.

Thanks everyone for your other helpful suggestions

In the end I haven't needed to use card recovery software - I'm pleased to say that the external back-up I was making when I thought things had gone wrong did in fact work and I had a copy of everything safely on my external drive (Jobo Giga One Ultra ) even though it had then wiped the original memory card which I hadn't intended.  Phew!

The Jobo has been an excellent device that's served me well for a number of years and is really useful for backing up on short trips when you don't want to take a laptop but you can't be absoutely confident it has worked until you connect it to a PC.  Maybe it's time for me to look for a replacement strategy.

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

Confused of Malvern's gear list:Confused of Malvern's gear list
Pentax K-3 +1 more
merops
merops Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
Re: Disaster Averted!

Excellent news. Really glad for you that you've got this sorted out

abe4652 Senior Member • Posts: 2,065

Confused of Malvern wrote:

Search "recuva" from piriform

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads