Need Recommendations: Battery Grip for Canon 70D

Started Sep 23, 2017 | Discussions
Adboom73 New Member • Posts: 17
Need Recommendations: Battery Grip for Canon 70D

I’ve been using my Canon 70D for years and its doing fine. The battery indicator gives me a RED – time to replace both batteries.

I’m considering a battery grip. I can’t afford a Canon brand and two new batteries.

· Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party grips?

· Any you suggest I stay clear of?

· What about batteries?

· I’ve seen a few kits that include grip and two batteries. Any experience?

Thanks all.

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aquavideo Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: Need Recommendations: Battery Grip for Canon 70D

Adboom73 wrote:

I’ve been using my Canon 70D for years and its doing fine. The battery indicator gives me a RED – time to replace both batteries.

I’m considering a battery grip. I can’t afford a Canon brand and two new batteries.

· What about batteries?

Thanks all.

I bought a grip with two batteries for my t3i years ago. Still works and I had no problems. It was some chinese knockoff (can't remember the brand, sorry) but it was top of the list on Amazon, it cost $50 and so I just went for it. With two batteries inserted I can shoot all day and still have juice left. One thing I noticed: If I left batteries in the grip for a few days they would drain. No big deal though. And years later the batteries are still good.

The problem with the 3rd party knockoffs is the same as always: Canon don't license their stuff to anyone so it's gotta be reverse engineered. And quality control is not really top of the line so you might get a bad one.

Considering that the original is close to $200 you might as well get one. Just make sure the seller will let you return it if it's a bad apple.

aquavideo's gear list:aquavideo's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX
David Pavlich
David Pavlich Senior Member • Posts: 3,506

I've had a Vello grip on my 5DIII since I got it 2 years ago and it's never had a hiccup.  I do use Canon batteries.

David

-- hide signature --

I can dodge folly without backing into fear. Nero Wolfe
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 4,117

At less than 20% of the OEM, a 3rd party grip is a no brainer for me. I can afford to have 5 of them fail before I am even money with one real McCoy.

I actually got one for my Nikon D800, and one the same for my buddy. Been using them for 2 years with no real problem.

The grip's circuitry seems to be simple enough for the Chinese engineer to duplicate. And they have done a very good job with it.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S +1 more
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 6,333

I used a Neewer grip ($32.95) on my 70D and had no issues. I can't say how it holds up over half a decade but for the better part of a year it gave me no issues. In fact i have used 3rd party grips on 6 different cameras and never had an issue. They tend to not be weather sealed and may not take as much abuse but they seem to be worth the money IMO.

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic GX850 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,775

Adboom73 wrote:

· What about batteries?

Thanks all.

Some of them seem to be from the same factory but simply branded differently. I can't say that Meike, Vivitar, and Neewer, for instance, are all from the same factory, but we've had a few of these over the years, and if there is a difference, I can't discern it.

I always preferred the older BP-511 grips. They seemed more solid and didn't require any sort of tray; just open the door and pop them in/out. The battery-tray grips have been around for a while, though, and they do OK. I still insisted on a genuine OEM grip for our 5DIII, 5DIV and 7DII bodies because they are made with the same high quality materials and construction as the robust cameras they fit. The third-party stuff appears to be all plastic, however. They match the lower bodies just fine, but feel out of place on the aforementioned ones.

We still have a $40 Vivitar-branded grip on one of our 70D bodies. Three years on, it's fine.

Some third-party grips include a wireless shutter remote, a nice bonus if you need that sort of thing.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
mdmarqphoto Regular Member • Posts: 418

aquavideo wrote:

I bought a grip with two batteries for my t3i years ago. Still works and I had no problems. It was some chinese knockoff (can't remember the brand, sorry) but it was top of the list on Amazon, it cost $50 and so I just went for it. With two batteries inserted I can shoot all day and still have juice left. One thing I noticed: If I left batteries in the grip for a few days they would drain. No big deal though. And years later the batteries are still good.

Regarding the battery drain, I noticed this as well on mine so I started turning the switch on the grip to Off - problem solved.  (all it does is disable the grip buttons/dial)

KWEnz Regular Member • Posts: 378

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Adboom73 wrote:

· What about batteries?

Thanks all.

Some of them seem to be from the same factory but simply branded differently. I can't say that Meike, Vivitar, and Neewer, for instance, are all from the same factory, but we've had a few of these over the years, and if there is a difference, I can't discern it.

I always preferred the older BP-511 grips. They seemed more solid and didn't require any sort of tray; just open the door and pop them in/out. The battery-tray grips have been around for a while, though, and they do OK. I still insisted on a genuine OEM grip for our 5DIII, 5DIV and 7DII bodies because they are made with the same high quality materials and construction as the robust cameras they fit. The third-party stuff appears to be all plastic, however. They match the lower bodies just fine, but feel out of place on the aforementioned ones.

We still have a $40 Vivitar-branded grip on one of our 70D bodies. Three years on, it's fine.

Some third-party grips include a wireless shutter remote, a nice bonus if you need that sort of thing.

I've got a Meike grip on my 7DII and previously had a Meike grip on my 7D.  Both work(ed) perfectly and were substantially cheaper than the Canon grip.

When I bought the one for my 7DII the first two Meike grips I looked at had screws and other bits rattling around inside them.  The third one, which I bought, was fine.  Obviously quality control is not a strong point of Meike grips, however they perform well and I have no regrets buying them.

-- hide signature --

Ken

KWEnz's gear list:KWEnz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +14 more
David Pavlich
David Pavlich Senior Member • Posts: 3,506

David Pavlich wrote:

I've had a Vello grip on my 5DIII since I got it 2 years ago and it's never had a hiccup. I do use Canon batteries.

David

I just got back from the Royal Air Museum in Winnipeg and took a little over 300 shots and the batteries still show full charge.

David

-- hide signature --

I can dodge folly without backing into fear. Nero Wolfe
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
GreatWhiteWing Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Adboom73 wrote:

· What about batteries?

Thanks all.

I will add my thumbs up to Vello. Just put one on my 7d2 and the build seems quite solid

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
Harry Shepherd Contributing Member • Posts: 771

I've been using the Pixel grip on my 7D MK11 since the camera was released. Apart from lack of weather sealing I experience no difference from the Canon grip on my 7D whatsoever.  At the moment I'm also trying out the Duracell LP-E6 equivalent. Not sure if these are available in the States. Only on my third charge so not to sure how good they are.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,775

Harry Shepherd wrote:

I've been using the Pixel grip on my 7D MK11 since the camera was released. Apart from lack of weather sealing I experience no difference from the Canon grip on my 7D whatsoever. At the moment I'm also trying out the Duracell LP-E6 equivalent. Not sure if these are available in the States. Only on my third charge so not to sure how good they are.

I never owned an original 7D. The 7DII's grip was made of the same magnesium alloy material, very solid and firm. Is the Pixel a matching alloy type material, or plastic?

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
GreatWhiteWing Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Harry Shepherd wrote:

I've been using the Pixel grip on my 7D MK11 since the camera was released. Apart from lack of weather sealing I experience no difference from the Canon grip on my 7D whatsoever. At the moment I'm also trying out the Duracell LP-E6 equivalent. Not sure if these are available in the States. Only on my third charge so not to sure how good they are.

I never owned an original 7D. The 7DII's grip was made of the same magnesium alloy material, very solid and firm. Is the Pixel a matching alloy type material, or plastic?

I have a Vello, not sure of the material. I am reasonable certain the Canon would be made, at least, a little better and if I were a pro it might sway me choice but this is working fine for me so far and I saved a few bucks

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads