E‑M10 Mark III or PEN-F

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
placebopill New Member • Posts: 1
E‑M10 Mark III or PEN-F

Hi.

I need an advice which camera should I buy - Olympus E-M10 Mark III or PEN-F. Only these two. Is the price difference worth investing in PEN-F? Cash is not an issue but I don't want to spend money in bad way. I will also buy few lenses: 14-42, 40-150 i 45.

Thank you for your time & help.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
khunpapa
khunpapa Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: E‑M10 Mark III or PEN-F

Pen F has better IQ and better look&feel. It's half-camera, half-ornament.

BUT, that half-ornament comes with cost (which you won't care?).

It's best when coupled with good fixed lens, such as 17mm f/1.8 or 12/2, not zoom.

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 +21 more
alcelc
alcelc Veteran Member • Posts: 7,984

When EM10-I & II were major members within the entry-enthusiastic class of Olympus (similar to the GX line of Panasonic), EM10-III has quite many features be simplified, rearranged and even cancelled making it a more entry class model. As per various reviews it is not a strong contender for EM10-I & II upgrade, but more for new beginners. Look at DPR's comparison tool of EM10-III's review, the entry models like GX850 of Panasonic (=GF9) be its peer group.

On another hand, Pen-F, a retro design rangefinder model, is holding a class of its own , among M43, similar to EM5s or Panasonic's G85, more similar to the GX8. It could be just a class below the flagship EM1 or GH5 of Panasonic.

Both are great camera, but might be for different users. If you are new to the hobby, EM10-III might be easier to handle.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
RSSrsvp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,077

placebopill wrote:

Hi.

I need an advice which camera should I buy - Olympus E-M10 Mark III or PEN-F. Only these two. Is the price difference worth investing in PEN-F? Cash is not an issue but I don't want to spend money in bad way. I will also buy few lenses: 14-42, 40-150 i 45.

With the exception of 4k video the  Pen-F is the superior camera.

Perhaps you should tell us what your shooting style  is and what is your level of photography?

RSSrsvp's gear list:RSSrsvp's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY
LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY Regular Member • Posts: 286

Really depends on what you shoot or plan too shoot. i would go to a shop and have a feel of both and go from there.

Id use the Pen F for street, outside work and the OMD for more events. But ive not really looked into them. i use my small cameras for street and hols and larger DSLRs for weddings and events due to better battery and speed.

-- hide signature --

Just go out and shoot photos!!!!

LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY's gear list:LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +5 more
NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,462

placebopill wrote:

Hi.

I will try and give you the best insights I can.  I've owned the original E-M10 and now the PEN-F.  The E-M10 is a great little camera, the MKIII adds 4K video but nothing else that is really stand out from the original.  I will take very good pictures and the new interface should make some things a bit easier.  When I had my E-M10 I used th 14-42 II R MSC and the 40-150 MSC lenses and both did a great job overall.

I've only had my  PEN-F  since June, but it's in a whole other league than the E-M10 (and a lot of other camera too for that matter).  From my gear list you can see that I have the PEN-F, along with the 40-150 (for a $100 lens, you can't really beat in terms of value, and it offers surprisingly good IQ, it doesn't even drop off at 150mm which is a nice plus too.

The PEN-F is quite a big upgrade over the E-M10.3, At low to moderate ISO, I think it offers the best IQ in the M43.  No other M43 camera, regardless of price lets me have so much control and customizable options over Image and Color parameters.  With the PEN-F, If I want to saturate one color and desaturate 3 others, I can.  If I want to saturate 4 colors, leave 2 alone and lower the saturation on the rest, I can.  If I want to shoot in Mono, I not only do I have 3 very cool mono modes, but I can control the grain in the picture to my liking and instead of just the 4 normal color filters that every other can apply - I have 8 choices to choose from.  No other Panasonic or Olympus (in any price range) has these features.  Infact, I can't think of any camera, in any price range that offers this much latitude in customizing your image.  That front dial is one of the most useful features on the PEN-F and I use it all the time.   The PEN-F is one of only two M43 cameras that offers the Hi-Res Mode, and it is absolutely amazing.  The level of detail I can see and get from those 50MP files are amazing.  Normally, I don't print bigger than 16"x20"; this camera is going to change that.  I've got my 20"x30" and 30"x40" already edited and ready for printing.

If I could make a couple of recommendations.  First, you said "cash is not an issue".  Then I would strongly recommend you get some exceptional glass for your main lens, (unless you just want the smallest, lightest kit possible).  I'm shooting the PL12-60/2.8-4 and it does the PEN-F images justice.  It is extremely sharp and there is no issues using it on the PEN-F.  And honestly, it's not bit or heavy. Other great wide angle zoom lenses include the Oly 12-40/2.8, Pany 12-35/2.8, and the Oly 12-100/4 (although this one is big and a bit heavy).  Second if you do get anyone of these lenses get the ECG-4 Grip, it makes carrying the camera around, in hand, very nice and better balanced with those lenses.

Here is just a small sampling of what you can get out of the PEN-F (all images shot on teh PEN-F with the PL12-60:   5 Images

-- hide signature --

NHT

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH

NowHearThis wrote:

The PEN-F is one of only two M43 cameras that offers the Hi-Res Mode, and it is absolutely amazing. The level of detail I can see and get from those 50MP files are amazing. Normally, I don't print bigger than 16"x20"; this camera is going to change that. I've got my 20"x30" and 30"x40" already edited and ready for printing.

One minor correction, Olympus has 3 cameras with the hi res mode. They are the Pen-F, the E-M5 Mark ll and the E-M1 Mark ll.

Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,462

RSSrsvp wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

The PEN-F is one of only two M43 cameras that offers the Hi-Res Mode, and it is absolutely amazing. The level of detail I can see and get from those 50MP files are amazing. Normally, I don't print bigger than 16"x20"; this camera is going to change that. I've got my 20"x30" and 30"x40" already edited and ready for printing.

One minor correction, Olympus has 3 cameras with the hi res mode. They are the Pen-F, the E-M5 Mark ll and the E-M1 Mark ll.

You are absolutely correct, I misspoke there, didn't I? The E-M1.2 and the PEN-F produce 50MP JPEGs and the E-M5.2 produces 40MP JPEGs.  Shoot RAW and each will produce even larger photos in that Hi-Res mode.

-- hide signature --

NHT
//life motto
if (sad() == true) {
sad().stop();
beAwesome();
}

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH

NowHearThis wrote:

RSSrsvp wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

You are absolutely correct, I misspoke there, didn't I? The E-M1.2 and the PEN-F produce 50MP JPEGs and the E-M5.2 produces 40MP JPEGs. Shoot RAW and each will produce even larger photos in that Hi-Res mode.

By the way, I agree with everything that you said about the Pen-F. IMO it is a fabulous camera and fun to use. The special B&W modes are outstanding. I wish it was weather sealed which was the only reason why I opted for the E-M5 Mark ll instead of the Pen-F as I do the majority of my shooting outdoors and wanted that added protection.

bclaff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,373

placebopill wrote:

Hi.

Although dynamic range is not the same as Image Quality (IQ) it is an important component.
It's does not appear that the PEN-F has vastly superior Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR):

The largest advantage (about 1/2 stop) appears to be at ISO 640 and ISO 800 probably because of a difference in where dual conversion gain takes place; ISO 640 for the PEN-F and probably ISO 1000 for the E-M10 Mark III.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads