1-ds mk ii - white pinstripes appearing on images

Started Sep 22, 2017 | Questions
oitoitoi New Member • Posts: 2
1-ds mk ii - white pinstripes appearing on images

Hey guys, I've had this camera a long time, and though it's old it's served me brilliantly.  However I've just been going through some recently taken images and have noticed a new problem, thin white, regularly spaced vertical lines are appearing on images.  When I go portrait the images become horizontal.  They seem to be worse at high ISO but I'm not certain it's related.  I've been shooting in RAW.  All images taken with a canon 24-70 2.8.
Here are some example images:

The first 2 images were taken at ISO1600, the last at ISO100, while less visible at low ISO, the lines are still there (you have to zoom in a bit to see them).  The issue appears to be getting worse but it's hard to be sure.  I would really appreciate any guidance anyone could give me with this problem, I'm really disappointed as they seem to have marred images from what was a once in a lifetime trip; I'd hoped to print some of the images quite large, but I'm not sure any kind of printing is even an option any more.
Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
txsizzler
txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,544
Re: 1-ds mk ii - white pinstripes appearing on images

I am not really seeing what you are describing, but I do know that sometimes white pinstripes will occur when you bring up the shadows too much in post.

Are you doing alot of shadow lifting?

txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S50 Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S95 +11 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Senior Member • Posts: 2,497

Haven't seen this before. If these were prints I'd be confidently suggesting you clean your print heads, as it looks very much like a problem with each passing of the head.

Might be time to get a new camera

-- hide signature --

www.grahammeale.info

Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
RA40 Contributing Member • Posts: 706

That's not good. I've read of similar instances regarding shutter and sensor failures.  How many actuations on the 1Ds?

-- hide signature --

Mike:)

RA40's gear list:RA40's gear list
Canon PowerShot G6 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +10 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 4,874

i really had to enlarge the photos to see those vertical stripes and as suggested, they'll look unpleasant on a large print! i am not sure what causes it but looks like a new camera is on the horizon for you

1Dx4me's gear list:1Dx4me's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +7 more
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,131

just try a fresh CF card ...maybe clutching at straws but worth a try

i think your photos will print ok...if viewed at normal viewing distance....

on my big monitor your photos are 22 inch across ...i see no banding how ever hard/close i look....in the gallery if i use the loop i can ...but with a tape measure i have worked out that the loop multiplies the size of the image 8X ...so looking at part of a14 feet image!!!!!! they say normal viewing distance 1.5 times the width of the print ...so a 6 inch print you view at 9 inch.. a 12 inch print you view at 18 inch ...sound reasonable to me...so when i am viewing part of your 14 feet print i need to be 21 feet away ..but i have to be as close as 7 or 8 feet to make the banding out...if i am looking for it that is... if i had not been told it will be a lot close befor i notice

so what i am saying if you print "only" a 3 feet /36 inch print if you stand 4.5 feet away i dont think you will see them

oitoitoi wrote:

Hey guys, I've had this camera a long time, and though it's old it's served me brilliantly. However I've just been going through some recently taken images and have noticed a new problem, thin white, regularly spaced vertical lines are appearing on images. When I go portrait the images become horizontal. They seem to be worse at high ISO but I'm not certain it's related. I've been shooting in RAW. All images taken with a canon 24-70 2.8.
Here are some example images:

The first 2 images were taken at ISO1600, the last at ISO100, while less visible at low ISO, the lines are still there (you have to zoom in a bit to see them). The issue appears to be getting worse but it's hard to be sure. I would really appreciate any guidance anyone could give me with this problem, I'm really disappointed as they seem to have marred images from what was a once in a lifetime trip; I'd hoped to print some of the images quite large, but I'm not sure any kind of printing is even an option any more.
Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
You are joking ....i have a sony nex ...i think the designers was an anti photographer sadist ...the only way to make it more less enjoyable to use would be to superglue a drawing pin to the shutter button...pin up

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Minolta DiMAGE Xi Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s +13 more
OP oitoitoi New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks so much for all your responses. Indeed i scoured Google and couldn't really find anyone with a similar issue. The shutter count is just shy of 99000. I checked and it's not unheard of for them to fail at this count but 85% last longer.  In regards to shadow lifting no the lines are visible on unedited images too.  I'm tempted to try a new c.f. card but I wouldn't be optimistic, I'd imagine a problem with it would cause a more obvious issue.

I think you raise a valuable point in regards to viewing distance and whether they'd be visible or not.  Although similarly I'm uncertain as to whether they would still affect the quality of the image even if not immediately visible (smoothness of blacks etc.).  I tried a few test prints at 6x4 of an ISO 100 and ISO 1600 image, fortunately the lines aren't visible.  If the camera continues at this level I think I can keep it going a while aiming to shoot at low iso, but low light is not really possible.  However I suspect it will continue to degrade.  There's one image i shot on the paris metro at 1600 thats particualrly bad.

I can't really afford an upgrade that I would be satisfied with atm (probably a 6d mkii or better, but a student budget isn't photography friendly...), so if it gives up the ghost I'll shoot film for a while (my eos 1v is still my favourite ever camera).  Will probably be a few years before I can upgrade, I'd imagine by then canon will have a range of full frame mirrorless cameras with ef lens mounts, that seems to be the future (hate the digital viewfinders though).

Really sad to see the old boy near the end, this camera's been round the world with me through thick and thin, even a bus hijacking!  Like losing an old friend .

Cheers again.

davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,131

oitoitoi wrote:

Thanks so much for all your responses. Indeed i scoured Google and couldn't really find anyone with a similar issue. The shutter count is just shy of 99000. I checked and it's not unheard of for them to fail at this count but 85% last longer. In regards to shadow lifting no the lines are visible on unedited images too. I'm tempted to try a new c.f. card but I wouldn't be optimistic, I'd imagine a problem with it would cause a more obvious issue.

I think you raise a valuable point in regards to viewing distance and whether they'd be visible or not. Although similarly I'm uncertain as to whether they would still affect the quality of the image even if not immediately visible (smoothness of blacks etc.). I tried a few test prints at 6x4 of an ISO 100 and ISO 1600 image, fortunately the lines aren't visible. If the camera continues at this level I think I can keep it going a while aiming to shoot at low iso, but low light is not really possible. However I suspect it will continue to degrade. There's one image i shot on the paris metro at 1600 thats particualrly bad.

I can't really afford an upgrade that I would be satisfied with atm (probably a 6d mkii or better, but a student budget isn't photography friendly...), so if it gives up the ghost I'll shoot film for a while (my eos 1v is still my favourite ever camera). Will probably be a few years before I can upgrade, I'd imagine by then canon will have a range of full frame mirrorless cameras with ef lens mounts, that seems to be the future (hate the digital viewfinders though).

Really sad to see the old boy near the end, this camera's been round the world with me through thick and thin, even a bus hijacking! Like losing an old friend .

Cheers again.

if you need a cheap as chips camera to put you on that will give almost the results that you get now a 5Dmki may woth a look ...i see a mint one with a grip go for £210 GBP in the UK on feebay....your main loss will be in the AF department

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
You are joking ....i have a sony nex ...i think the designers was an anti photographer sadist ...the only way to make it more less enjoyable to use would be to superglue a drawing pin to the shutter button...pin up

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Minolta DiMAGE Xi Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s +13 more
rmexpress22 Contributing Member • Posts: 624

They look like vertical TV scan lines. Kind of hard to see but they're definitely there. If you're accidentaly applying processing files during import then it seems like a sensor issue. Try updating the firmware and see if it helps. If you're running the latest firmware I'd try re-flashing anyway.

The other possibility is radio interference. If you've recently started using a wireless trigger, radio, walkie talking, that could be causing it also.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel T6i +10 more
kawasakiman
kawasakiman Regular Member • Posts: 397

Your sensor is dying!  I bought a second hand 1Dmk2 and I was seeing vertical lines on my prints, I too thought it was my printer, but after printing on another printer I then checked the images at 200% on my computer screen and could see the lines. I sent it to canon, they rang me and told me the sensor needed replacing £850!!

I didn't bother, sold the camera as spares

kawasakiman's gear list:kawasakiman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads