Bokeh, window light, and strobist portraits

Started Sep 22, 2017 | Photos
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,031
Bokeh, window light, and strobist portraits

Recently completed 2 photoshoots with models that got to let me stretch my creative legs, both with lens selection, and editing flair.  All shot with Pentac KP and edited to taste.

Bokeh portrait at twilight - using HD 70 2.4

Window Light portrait with FA 43 LTD (yes, grain was added in post)

Strobist portrait on a professional shoot in horrible lighting conditions using KP, DA* 16-50 and two Yongnuo 585EX strobes

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Polacofede Contributing Member • Posts: 944
Re: Bokeh, window light, and strobist portraits

nice shots! I really like its atmosphere, specially the last one.

-- hide signature --
 Polacofede's gear list:Polacofede's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,689

Refreshing to see someone else pursuing this field.
Nice images and mood Mike.
You may not get too much response due to the images not being a bird in flight, pretty landscape or a tech / i wish pentax would .... type of thread lol.
I need a better triggered flash system for studio type work.
My last studio session only just worked out when i accidentally got my flash to trigger the studio strobes

Ian J G Contributing Member • Posts: 702

First 2 are quite pretty (I mean that in a good way). The 3rd I question the shadow of curtain over forehead — that's just my subjective reaction, maybe I'm not understanding something. Apart from that I like the skin and tone of the third too.

Anyhoo, really like the shots

-- hide signature --

instagram: Iangoldring

zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 4,037

Pretty nice work. #3 is my favourite.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 II
OP Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,031

Thanks for the kind words!

Olympus E-M5 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more

robbo d wrote:

Refreshing to see someone else pursuing this field.
Nice images and mood Mike.
You may not get too much response due to the images not being a bird in flight, pretty landscape or a tech / i wish pentax would .... type of thread lol.
I need a better triggered flash system for studio type work.
My last studio session only just worked out when i accidentally got my flash to trigger the studio strobes

No doubt, lol!

feel free to message me about flashes, my setup is about fool proof with the KP!

Ian J G wrote:

First 2 are quite pretty (I mean that in a good way). The 3rd I question the shadow of curtain over forehead — that's just my subjective reaction, maybe I'm not understanding something. Apart from that I like the skin and tone of the third too.

Anyhoo, really like the shots

It is what the art director was looking for, so no worries, I happen to like it, makes it feel more as is/a real situation captured to me.  But thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the kind words

Space the final frontier Contributing Member • Posts: 553

Nice work. Good to see actual photos instead of the many gear oriented threads.

My favorite is the third one. The first one is too distracting with the background light and the subject is too dark for my taste. Just my preference.

Space the final frontier wrote:

Nice work. Good to see actual photos instead of the many gear oriented threads.

My favorite is the third one. The first one is too distracting with the background light and the subject is too dark for my taste. Just my preference.

Thanks for the feedback!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads