TheDigitalPicture Tamron 24-70 G2 Review - Bad Copy?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,046
TheDigitalPicture Tamron 24-70 G2 Review - Bad Copy?

I just looked at the lens comparison tool on The Digital Picture to compare the Sigma 24-70 Art and Tamron 24-70 G2 and am wondering if they got a really bad copy of the Tamron.  Their results seem to be very different than Dustin Abbot's comparison. Can anyone who owns or has compared the two lenses say which is more accurate or whether TDP got a bad copy?

-- hide signature --
 rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cseybert Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: TheDigitalPicture Tamron 24-70 G2 Review - Bad Copy?

I have the Tamron and rented the Sigma, I really like the Tamron better, the Sigma is good but I use 24 and 70 more and not 50mm were Sigma is just a little bit better.

cseybert's gear list:cseybert's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
Mlmcasual Forum Member • Posts: 81

I have the 24-70 g2 and a D850..  It's VERY sharp EXCEPT at 70/2.8  where it has a little haze but then clears up by f4.0   The lens on digital pictures site looks very soft everywhere at 70..  Out of the box, my copy had extreme forward focus and I had to max out the settings in tap-in.   How do they focus?

calin Forum Member • Posts: 85

While I think they always manual focus, it looks they have a missfocus or a bad sample. It is worse than g1.

calin's gear list:calin's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
StillLearning
StillLearning Veteran Member • Posts: 4,261

rickpoole wrote:

I just looked at the lens comparison tool on The Digital Picture to compare the Sigma 24-70 Art and Tamron 24-70 G2 and am wondering if they got a really bad copy of the Tamron. Their results seem to be very different than Dustin Abbot's comparison. Can anyone who owns or has compared the two lenses say which is more accurate or whether TDP got a bad copy?

-- hide signature --

Interesting. This is the stuff of controversy. Test sites having opposite views. So far the samples I've seen seem to favor the Tamron. But I noticed reviews for the Tamron from consumers on the photo equipment stores seem to give positive on the Nikon mount where the Canon mounts have more negative. This was compared on a Canon camera which makes me wonder if there isn't more of a problem with the Canon mount. I wouldn't think it should but it does appear that way.

StillLearning's gear list:StillLearning's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more

Check out the Canon 24-70ll compared to the Sigma 24-70

Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
StillLearning

cseybert wrote:

Check out the Canon 24-70ll compared to the Sigma 24-70

Not sure about that site now. I checked the Nikon 24-70VR with a D810 and it looks terrible. Makes me wonder about their test controls.

Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more

Also check out the Canon 70-2000ii compared to the Tamron 70-200 g2. I owned a great copy of the canon and I now have a great copy of the Tamron in my opinion imagine wise there dead even, I liked the IS just a bit better on the Canon but then there’s the price issue.

StillLearning

cseybert wrote:

Also check out the Canon 70-2000ii compared to the Tamron 70-200 g2. I owned a great copy of the canon and I now have a great copy of the Tamron in my opinion imagine wise there dead even, I liked the IS just a bit better on the Canon but then there’s the price issue.

I checked the Tamron 70-200G2 with the Canon 1ds Mark III and it looked better then the Nikon 70-200 F2.8E on a D810. Something doesn't seem right here which makes me question that sites method of testing or if we have more then one tester?

I can't test the Tamron on the D810 because it isn't available.

Mlmcasual Forum Member • Posts: 81

My copy of the Tamron 70-200 G2 on the D850 is amazing everywhere.. Focus is perfect.. THe  24-70g2 I have had, like others have also had, has horrible front focusing. I am using the Tap-in calibration and maxed out at +20 and still a hair short so will have to send mine into Tamron. It's otherwise a great lens..

StillLearning

Mlmcasual wrote:

My copy of the Tamron 70-200 G2 on the D850 is amazing everywhere.. Focus is perfect.. THe 24-70g2 I have had, like others have also had, has horrible front focusing. I am using the Tap-in calibration and maxed out at +20 and still a hair short so will have to send mine into Tamron. It's otherwise a great lens..

I'll keep that in mine when I get mine which probably won't be until early next year.

OP rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,046

Just got back from my local camera store comparing the Canon, Sigma and Tamron 24-70s. For the three copies I compared the results fell pretty much in line with what everyone (Dustin Abbott - thanks for the review of the Sigma vs Tamron) except TDP is saying. The Canon was a little sharper in the corners, especially at f2.8. The Tamron G2 was sharper in the corners than the Sigma Art although the difference wasn't as much at 35 and 50. In fact it was pretty much dead even at 50. Stopping down to f4 the Tamron seemed to improve while the Sigma didn't improve very much. At f5.6 it was getting a lot closer and by f8 the Tamron was only slightly ahead of the Sigma. In the center all three were very close at all focal lengths and apertures. The image stabilization of the Tamron it at least one stop better than the Sigma - I could get good shots at 3 stops pretty consistently with the Sigma and sometime 4 stops. With the Tamron I could get good shots with 3 stops consistently and 4 a lot of the time and about half of the 5 stop tries. All three seemed to consistently focus correctly at all focal lengths (5 out of 5 tries). The Tamron seemed to transmit about 1/3 stop more light at any given aperture. The Tamron and Canon handled very similarly although the Tamron turns backwards. The Sigma handles just as well but is a beast! It felt 30-50% heavier than the other two but also felt like it was built like a tank.

I'll be uploading all the JPEGs (shot in raw and converted with OP Elite 11 with no corrections) to my website this weekend and will post the URL when complete.

So based on what Dustin and others have found and my experience this morning it really looks like TDP got a bad copy.  I emailed them to see if they were going to test another Tamron but no answer yet.

BTW - I ended up purchasing the Tamron. While the Canon was a little sharper the Tamron was close enough in the center and mid-frame and its very effective image stabilizer made it a better fit for what I want the lens to do (low light without flash and tripod).

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Senior Member • Posts: 7,329

rickpoole wrote:

Just got back from my local camera store comparing the Canon, Sigma and Tamron 24-70s. For the three copies I compared the results fell pretty much in line with what everyone (Dustin Abbott - thanks for the review of the Sigma vs Tamron) except TDP is saying. The Canon was a little sharper in the corners, especially at f2.8. The Tamron G2 was sharper in the corners than the Sigma Art although the difference wasn't as much at 35 and 50. In fact it was pretty much dead even at 50. Stopping down to f4 the Tamron seemed to improve while the Sigma didn't improve very much. At f5.6 it was getting a lot closer and by f8 the Tamron was only slightly ahead of the Sigma. In the center all three were very close at all focal lengths and apertures.

Thankyou, did you test at 70mm? Lenstip said bad things about the Sigma at 70mm but Lensrentals had no problem there.

A lens that carries on getting better to f8 is useful for scenics and so is low chromatic aberration. It was Lenstip charts on the Tamron VC in the middle of the range mainly that put me off it.

It seems fairly certain that the-digital-picture only get one sample of a lens to test and there are anomalies.

fishy wishy
fishy wishy Senior Member • Posts: 7,329

StillLearning wrote:

Interesting. This is the stuff of controversy. Test sites having opposite views. So far the samples I've seen seem to favor the Tamron. But I noticed reviews for the Tamron from consumers on the photo equipment stores seem to give positive on the Nikon mount where the Canon mounts have more negative. This was compared on a Canon camera which makes me wonder if there isn't more of a problem with the Canon mount. I wouldn't think it should but it does appear that way.

This is anecdotally the general impression I receive on third party lenses on Canon in general. It's also my own, but I haven't found out why. I wish someone would research it.

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,984

cseybert wrote:

I have the Tamron and rented the Sigma, I really like the Tamron better, the Sigma is good but I use 24 and 70 more and not 50mm were Sigma is just a little bit better.

How is the contrast of these two lenses differ

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 +66 more

Mark K wrote:

cseybert wrote:

How is the contrast of these two lenses differ

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Pretty much the same for Tonal even on color, maybe a very slight edge to Sigma on the deeper color contrast.

Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313
Copy variation is the norm

It really is. If you want an objective view on what you can expect from a lens in terms of sharpness, then LensRental reviews are the only way to go. They give the average MTFs from 10 ore more copies of a lens.

Furthermore, Roger Cicala wrote a fascinating post a little while back showing just how extreme the differences could be in zoom lenses, and that sadly even the big names had the exact same issues and variance as 3rd party manufacturers.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Re: Copy variation is the norm

Albert Silver wrote:

It really is. If you want an objective view on what you can expect from a lens in terms of sharpness, then LensRental reviews are the only way to go. They give the average MTFs from 10 ore more copies of a lens.

Furthermore, Roger Cicala wrote a fascinating post a little while back showing just how extreme the differences could be in zoom lenses, and that sadly even the big names had the exact same issues and variance as 3rd party manufacturers.

I checked with Roger and initially there were not going to test a G2 since it showed to have the same optical formula as the G1.  They have re-evaluated the design and do plan on testing it but I had to make a decision before they would complete their tests.  I tested a Canon 24-70 II, a Sigma 24-70 Art, and the Tamron 24-70 G2 at my local camera store and will be posting the results and test images in the next week or so.  What I saw was pretty much in line with what Dustin Abbott saw in his comparison of the Sigma and Tamron.

-- hide signature --

The Digital Picture has removed their test results for the Tamron 24-70 G2 and are planning on testing another copy.

-- hide signature --
StillLearning

rickpoole wrote:

The Digital Picture has removed their test results for the Tamron 24-70 G2 and are planning on testing another copy.

-- hide signature --

They should test another copy of the Nikon 24-70VRE. The results they have are not that good. I've seen much better samples from that lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads