D850 and focus accuracy

Started Sep 21, 2017 | Discussions
sharkcookie
sharkcookie Junior Member • Posts: 25
D850 and focus accuracy

I got my camera yesterday and started calibrating my lenses like I do with every new camera I got. To my surprise all except one didn't need any AF fine tune adjustment. All where spot on. Only my 58/1.4 needed a little correction.

But what's even more important and a huge deal is that with every lens the outer AF points produce equally good, tack sharp results. That's something no other camera I have had (and I had quite a few) was able to do. Especially the old 105/2 AF has caused issues with every camera I tried. I'm super happy about that as consistent focus with all lenses and all AF points has always been an issue to a degree.

@sharkcookie

sharkcookie's gear list:sharkcookie's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a6000 Nikon D850 +9 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: D850 and focus accuracy

Good to know thanks. Mac

BlueSkyLight Junior Member • Posts: 26

Wow - I haven't had that experience before. Glad to hear that. Curious: what do you use to align? I've been using lens align.

My D750 was really good (it seemed to me). Most lenses within 2-3 of 0. However, after I sent it in for service, it came back with more erratic settings. My 70-200 f4 went from +2 to +10. Some, but not all, moved away from 0 too. I haven't shot enough since getting camera back to see if it is consistent good focus like before. I'm a little worried. Glad to hear the D850 seems to have tight tolerances.

sharkcookie
OP sharkcookie Junior Member • Posts: 25

I have that software (forgot the name)  that would do it semi automatic for you with a custom target. I had limited success with it but I think it wasn't the software's fault, but just the inconsistency of the whole AF system when paired with different lenses.

One of my early D800 bodies required a different AF adjustment based on the light source! I know it sounds crazy and I tested it over and over.

Now with the D850 I just used a simple high contrast target and focused on it with different lenses, using different focus points. Not only was it spot on, but also very consistent when I re-did the test. Honestly that is a big step forward IMHO. As I said before, consistent and accurate focus has been an issue to some degree with every camera I have owned up to now (from various brands, not just Nikon). As far as I can tell right now, the D850 is a major step forward and finally solved that issue.

There are a few other things about the AF that I consider a big improvement and I can see a higher success rate already. I have to do more tests and I will post once I have confirmation. I did my first real client session with the new camera yesterday and I'm super happy with the results. Just overall an excellent camera. Well worth the upgrade!

-- hide signature --

@sharkcookie

sharkcookie's gear list:sharkcookie's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a6000 Nikon D850 +9 more
BlueSkyLight Junior Member • Posts: 26

Glad to hear you're happy with it (and the photos good too)! I was going to try my old way of testing focus and then seeing how it compares to the new approach. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads