Is micro four thirds on its way out?

Started Sep 21, 2017 | Discussions
eclipsechaser1 Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Is micro four thirds on its way out?

Mikespirito wrote:

I bought a Panasonic GX8 for the video capabilities. From a camera standpoint the takes pretty good stills. But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless is on the rise

What I wish was these kind of threads were on the way out. They come up at least once a fortnight.

eclipsechaser1's gear list:eclipsechaser1's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,764

Mikespirito wrote:

I bought a Panasonic GX8 for the video capabilities. From a camera standpoint the takes pretty good stills. But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless is on the rise

No not on its way out. Its a pretty good ecosystem with many lens choices. I am a huge fan of the budget primes and tiny kit zooms. This is a great way to have a hobbyists collection of cameras and lenses without breaking the bank or breaking your back lugging stuff around.

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle!

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
HeyItsJoel
HeyItsJoel Senior Member • Posts: 1,206

Yes.

-- hide signature --

I'm a little left-brained and a little right-brained.

String
String Senior Member • Posts: 2,060
Re: Funny you ask...

Nicely summed up!

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
HeyItsJoel
HeyItsJoel Senior Member • Posts: 1,206
Re: Funny you ask...

Astrotripper wrote:

In the future, EOS M from Canon will probably join them.

Canon just needs to get off their ass and produce more native lenses for the M-line.

-- hide signature --

I'm a little left-brained and a little right-brained.

Space the final frontier Contributing Member • Posts: 681

Mikespirito wrote:

I have both m4/3 and APS-C systems but my m4/3 system is growing fast. I am getting tired of the APS-C system due to size and weight. I am also very excited about the availability of really great quality and fast fixed. The similar set of lenses for my APS-C costed me significantly more. This is the result of competition between Panasonic, Olympus and Sigma. While I am still hoping mirrorless APS-C, lenses will still be larger and heavier, not something I look forward to.

I am actually seriously considering selling off my APS-C and invest in MF. The market is not quite matured yet. I think in the next "few" years, competition will drive the cost down to levels I can afford.

will focus
will focus Senior Member • Posts: 2,467

WookieLala wrote:

What is a crop sensor?

It's a sensor that tells you when the corn is ready...

...but that's not important right now.

will focus's gear list:will focus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,429
No

Mikespirito wrote:

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
puttin
puttin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,528

Allan Brown wrote:

Mark9473 wrote:

Mikespirito wrote:

is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless is on the rise

m43 is a crop sensor mirrorless. Your question makes no sense at all.

Wrong!

A crop sensor is one that still uses the lenses from the "original" sized sensor I.E. DX is a crop from FX.

M4/3 is not a crop as the lenses were designed for that size. Same with 1" sensors.

So, the m4/3 sensor with the native lenses is actually full frame.

The lens may cover the full size of the sensor, but that is a bit of a stretch since the term full frame is meaning the same size as 35mm film.

This just shows the silliness of those that think full frame is something wonderful when all it means is the lenses were designed for the sensor size. It is marketing nonsense.

BTW, medium format is also full frame as is 8X10".

So, I take the above comment of "Crop sensor Mirrorless" to mean DX (APS-C) format.

Allan

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Nikon Coolpix A Canon G3 X Canon G9 X II Pentax K-5 IIs +18 more
flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,299
Probably, now I've bought into it................NT

-- hide signature --

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 25mm F1.2 Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro +16 more
paul613
paul613 Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Re: "countless lens manufacturers"?

Ab Latchin wrote:

In fact, with at least 4 companies producing various types of bodies with the same mount, and countless lens manufacturers... I think the mount is quite safe for years to come.

Some of the features found on current m43rds cameras are class leading, especially when you consider the pricepoint of the bodies, and the lenses being produces are truly exceptional.

I count only three who make native-mount lenses that can autofocus, embed EXIF data, or communicate electronically with the camera: Olympus, Panasonic, and Sigma. And Sigma hasn't released a native M43 lens since 2013.

-- hide signature --

Paul S. in Maryland

paul613's gear list:paul613's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye (HD) +10 more
mjc1 Regular Member • Posts: 374

Yes, the format is officially dead.  I am the North American certified hazardous disposal person.  Please do the environmentally responsible thing (and avoid fines and possible jail time) and send all MFT equipment to me for proper disposal.  Remember, the planet and your grandchildren thank you for your responsible participation in this mandated program.

dennis tennis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,783
Re: when Olympus and Pany no longer makes ILC

Astrotripper wrote:

Mikespirito wrote:

But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out?

You know, people have been claiming it is for many many years now. Pretty much with every new Micro 4/3 camera release, you would see some vocal people claiming MFT is dead or will soon be and so on.

In the meantime, since the first mirrorless camera (Panasonic G1) was released, we saw:

• Samsung getting on the mirrorless camera bandwagon, failing miserably and completely pulling out of the camera market
  • Nikon introducing their mirrorless system that went nowhere and ended up dying
  • Pentax giving it a go and ending up filling a tiny niche mostly on Asian markets, you cannot even get their mirrorless stuff in most countries
  • Sony entering the race with a very promising E system, which stagnated for the past 2 years and ended up being a second class citizen in Sony's lineup, exactly like APS-C DSLR systems that came before it (Nikon DX and Canon EF-S)

As of now, there are only three "serious" mirrorless systems: Micro 4/3, Fuji X and Sony FE. Neither of those will go away anytime soon.

I don't see another manufacturer making mFT aside from these two.  Maybe a Chinese company like YI will continue but I don't think YI will take over the mantle with Oly/Panny  stops.  companies will tell everyone, they are "fully committed, until one day, they're not or just stop saying anything (a la Samsung).

-- hide signature --

refugee from the Nikon Df dial and grip police

Palefire Regular Member • Posts: 119

Mikespirito wrote:

No

WookieLala Junior Member • Posts: 49

will focus wrote:

WookieLala wrote:

What is a crop sensor?

It's a sensor that tells you when the corn is ready...

...but that's not important right now.

Nice one!

Palefire Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: "countless lens manufacturers"?

paul613 wrote:

Ab Latchin wrote:

In fact, with at least 4 companies producing various types of bodies with the same mount, and countless lens manufacturers... I think the mount is quite safe for years to come.

Some of the features found on current m43rds cameras are class leading, especially when you consider the pricepoint of the bodies, and the lenses being produces are truly exceptional.

I count only three who make native-mount lenses that can autofocus, embed EXIF data, or communicate electronically with the camera: Olympus, Panasonic, and Sigma. And Sigma hasn't released a native M43 lens since 2013.

Sigma released the mft auto focus 30mm 1.4 last year...

Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,711

puttin wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

Mark9473 wrote:

Mikespirito wrote:

Wrong!

A crop sensor is one that still uses the lenses from the "original" sized sensor I.E. DX is a crop from FX.

M4/3 is not a crop as the lenses were designed for that size. Same with 1" sensors.

The lens may cover the full size of the sensor, but that is a bit of a stretch since the term full frame is meaning the same size as 35mm film.

So, you bought into this silly nonsense like so many?

It is amazing how people will ignore the facts and continue to believe in a myth.

Allan

This just shows the silliness of those that think full frame is something wonderful when all it means is the lenses were designed for the sensor size. It is marketing nonsense.

So, I take the above comment of "Crop sensor Mirrorless" to mean DX (APS-C) format.

Allan

Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,810

My thinking is that as sensor tech improves and performance capability grows, smaller cameras will replace larger cameras.  I think there will always be a spot for Professional photographers with what we refer as "full frame", but I think they will be  used for special situations...like I used to use my huge old Mamyia RB-67 years ago.

I believe the micro 4:3 cameras might take the role 35mm had during the old film days and I would expect a working pro to have cameras and lenses in both formats.

I think the people who do the most photography... John Q. Snapshooter..will use his telephone.  Most already do.

It's funny to me that we used to think of "Medium Format"  i.e. 6x6 and 6x7 as big cameras, and 35mm as our normal daily use tool.  Now we call 35mm "Full Frame" and I think of that as a "Big" camera and my m4:3 as a normal daily use tool.

Before all this, the 8x10 view camera was the "big" camera and a 4x5 view camera was the small, daily use machine.

As time goes by cameras get smaller and smaller.  At least that's how it seems t me.  For some reason as time goes by, most of us get larger and larger! HA!

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +10 more
puttin
puttin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,528

Allan Brown wrote:

puttin wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

Mark9473 wrote:

Mikespirito wrote:

Wrong!

So, you bought into this silly nonsense like so many?

It is amazing how people will ignore the facts and continue to believe in a myth.

What myth ?

Allan

Full frame lenses were around before the FF sensor. That is the F mount for Nikon. I have many lenses that cover the full frame sensor and they were made long before digital, so how were they designed for the sensor.

Allan

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Nikon Coolpix A Canon G3 X Canon G9 X II Pentax K-5 IIs +18 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,776
a bit on Canon

HeyItsJoel wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

Canon just needs to get off their ass and produce more native lenses for the M-line.

I actually find it interesting how Canon got about the EOS M. I think they will be a major player in mirrorless field, the same way they are now in the DSLR world.

Unlike Nikon, it looks like Canon had an actual long-term strategy for their mirrorless offering. Now that Canon finally has the technology to make good mirrorless cameras, it's probably just a matter of time before they start developing EF-M into its more mature form.

As for EF-M lenses, do note how what they have is actually pretty well thought out. And affordable.

I think EF-M will quickly start replacing EF-S in the entry level segment and within few years will completely replace it.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads