Is micro four thirds on its way out?

Started Sep 21, 2017 | Discussions
Mikespirito Junior Member • Posts: 48
Is micro four thirds on its way out?

I bought a Panasonic GX8 for the video capabilities. From a camera standpoint the takes pretty good stills. But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless  is on the rise

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Toerag New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Is micro four thirds on its way out?

The crop sensor mirrorless will still have bigger lenses. To pre-empt all the arguing that will no doubt ensue, it all depends on your needs and priorities.  Is crop-sensor mirrorless likely to dislodge the GH series from their video crown? No. Is olympus going to continue to innovate with useful software features (livetime, pro capture, live composite etc.)? probably. Is mirrorless APS going to offer better image quality? Probably.

Toerag's gear list:Toerag's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Ab Latchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,613
Nope

In fact, with at least 4 companies producing various types of bodies with the same mount, and countless lens manufacturers... I think the mount is quite safe for years to come.

Some of the features found on current m43rds cameras are class leading, especially when you consider the pricepoint of the bodies, and the lenses being produces are truly exceptional.

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
Re: Is micro four thirds on its way out? YES YES

Yes, I'm going out to take some autumnal pictures with my E-M5ii.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Daiken Regular Member • Posts: 364

I don't think it's on its way out but you need to think about what's most important for you. Imo, the main reason to go MFT is for size and portability. I also think Panasonic's video is too notch. If you're worried about absolute image quality or the best low light performance, then I don't think MFT will ever be the best. Otherwise it's fine, and I think both Olympus and Panasonic will be around for a while.

aliasfox Senior Member • Posts: 1,276

Mikespirito wrote:

I bought a Panasonic GX8 for the video capabilities. From a camera standpoint the takes pretty good stills. But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless is on the rise

Which crop sensor mirrorless? There are three systems out there, aside from m4/3 (which is still crop, just a slightly bigger crop):

- Canon EOS-M. After five years, they finally release a couple of reasonable bodies. Still lacking in native lenses though.

- Sony E-mount. Crop sensor E-mount has some good qualities for sure - decent sensors, arguably the best AF, and some good video features (as far as I've heard), but the body releases are somewhat haphazard (A6000 on the market for four years, A5000/A5100 nearly as long, IIRC), with the A6300 being a notable miss (overheating in video). Let's not forget the lack of native autofocus lenses designed for APS-C. Most recent lens releases are designed for full frame, meaning any size benefit in the body is immediately lost in the lens.

- Fuji X-mount. Consistent body releases, both high end and entry level, a growing native lens selection, and improving features that take customer feedback into account, such as improving AF and video. Probably the most competitive, though it will never have IBIS (mount is too small), and video is unlikely to catch up to Panasonic anytime soon.

I would say m4/3 is probably fine, as long as they're able to integrate new tech every few years - AF and sensor being the primary ones. It will inherently have a bit of a size/weight benefit at longer focal lengths, the two companies that back it each have a killer feature (video, IBIS), and for the most part they have a large lead on lens selection. Of course, if Canon ever get truly serious about EOS-M, or Sony stops treating APS-C as a redheaded stepchild, then we may have to revisit.

aliasfox's gear list:aliasfox's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +16 more
petreluk Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Nope

Ab Latchin wrote:

In fact, with at least 4 companies producing various types of bodies with the same mount, and countless lens manufacturers... I think the mount is quite safe for years to come.

Some of the features found on current m43rds cameras are class leading, especially when you consider the pricepoint of the bodies, and the lenses being produces are truly exceptional.

That's interesting.

According to Wikipedia (so it must be correct, lol): "The Micro Four Thirds system (MFT or M4/3) is a standard released by Olympus and Panasonic in 2008, for the design and development of mirrorless interchangeable lens digital cameras, camcorders and lenses. Camera bodies are available from Blackmagic, DJI, JVC, Kodak, Olympus, Panasonic, and Xiaomi. MFT lenses are produced by Cosina Voigtländer, DJI, Kowa, Kodak, Mitakon, Olympus, Panasonic, Samyang, Sigma, SLR Magic, Tamron, Tokina, Veydra, and Xiaomi, amongst others."

That's a lot more than one thinks since Oly and Panny always tend to dominate the headlines.

I'm not fussed personally because I think M43 will be around for some years and M43 provides all I need for the moment. The camera market is bound to change significantly over the next five years as DSLRs give more way to mirrorless cameras, new tech comes along, etc. But it would be a brave man who could predict the likely result in terms of what flourishes and what doesn't.

Yes, some of the features and some of the lenses are amazingly good, imho.

FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168
Asking in the wrong place

You are asking about this in the wrong place. You need an analysis from a professional camera market analyst. And one of them might be wrong. Any suppositions on this forum about what formats are on the rise or in decline are just speculation.

Different sensor sizes have different uses as photographic tools. My guess is that m4/3rds is not going anyplace. Its image quality - especially with your GX8 for example -is fine for all practical purposes.

By the way, the "crop sensor" language is marketing talk from a 35mm perspective that styles itself "full frame" and anything smaller a "crop." They all take photos. Its not the camera, its the photographer.

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin
"What's the use of having a great depth of field if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" - W. Eugene Smith

Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,775
Funny you ask...

Mikespirito wrote:

But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out?

You know, people have been claiming it is for many many years now. Pretty much with every new Micro 4/3 camera release, you would see some vocal people claiming MFT is dead or will soon be and so on.

In the meantime, since the first mirrorless camera (Panasonic G1) was released, we saw:

• Samsung getting on the mirrorless camera bandwagon, failing miserably and completely pulling out of the camera market
  • Nikon introducing their mirrorless system that went nowhere and ended up dying
  • Pentax giving it a go and ending up filling a tiny niche mostly on Asian markets, you cannot even get their mirrorless stuff in most countries
  • Sony entering the race with a very promising E system, which stagnated for the past 2 years and ended up being a second class citizen in Sony's lineup, exactly like APS-C DSLR systems that came before it (Nikon DX and Canon EF-S)

As of now, there are only three "serious" mirrorless systems: Micro 4/3, Fuji X and Sony FE. Neither of those will go away anytime soon.

In the future, EOS M from Canon will probably join them.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 7,808

Olympus justifies making cameras by contending that it supports their lucrative medical division.

Source: Olympus

WookieLala Junior Member • Posts: 49

What is a crop sensor?

Stupot99 Regular Member • Posts: 414
Drones on the up

Mikespirito wrote:

I bought a Panasonic GX8 for the video capabilities. From a camera standpoint the takes pretty good stills. But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless is on the rise

m43 market is expanding with the rise of drones

Stupot99's gear list:Stupot99's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 7,483

I don't think so. I bought into the system less than a year ago and never looked back. I consider it the most versatile system put there. Not for everyone, but it can more or less do everything, and is small and light so you can take most anywhere. Best camera is the one you have with you.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +9 more
mferencz Contributing Member • Posts: 677

I'm not sure justify is the right word.   The camera division is the crown jewel.  Not profit wise by any stretch of the imagination, but it's their history and it keeps their name in the language of the common consumer.   Long term they will always have photography as part of their business.  Perhaps it will be something other than M43 one day, but I truly think they are happy with the 'the system' they have.   They have supported it with dozens of lenses over a long period of time.

Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,725

Mikespirito wrote:

is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless is on the rise

m43 is a crop sensor mirrorless. Your question makes no sense at all.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Mark Rosen
Mark Rosen Regular Member • Posts: 176

When I travel with my EM1 II and 12-100 lens... and see the hoards of Canikon cameras around me (usually with less than stellar lenses), I know I have some of the best technology in my hands, with the ultimate potential for creativity...

Even the idea of carrying a full frame monster with me, leaves me exhausted. No I do not think m4/3 is about to go away... at least not yet...

However, someday the technology of image capture, will change dramatically.  And it will be a whole new game.

😉

Mark Rosen's gear list:Mark Rosen's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +4 more
Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,711

Mark9473 wrote:

Mikespirito wrote:

is micro 4/3 on its way out. Seeing as Crop sensor Mirrorless is on the rise

m43 is a crop sensor mirrorless. Your question makes no sense at all.

Wrong!

A crop sensor is one that still uses the lenses from the "original" sized sensor I.E. DX is a crop from FX.

M4/3 is not a crop as the lenses were designed for that size. Same with 1" sensors.

So, the m4/3 sensor with the native lenses is actually full frame.

This just shows the silliness of those that think full frame is something wonderful when all it means is the lenses were designed for the sensor size. It is marketing nonsense.

BTW, medium format is also full frame as is 8X10".

So, I take the above comment of "Crop sensor Mirrorless" to mean DX (APS-C) format.

Allan

Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 4,795

Mikespirito wrote:

Yes, micro four thirds has been officially canceled. You should sell your camera ASAP. After 01/04/2018 all remaining m4/3 gear will be confiscated by the Crop Authority.

Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +16 more
bluehighwayman Contributing Member • Posts: 573

In the long run yes all present camera systems are on their way out!  The future belongs to cellphones.

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,557

Mikespirito wrote:

?  I am not sure what this means and what makes you think m43rds is on its way out.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads