Nikon D750 with SB700

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Nick_Brisbane Senior Member • Posts: 1,085
Nikon D750 with SB700

I am a pretty competent photographer in natural light or using the low light capabilities of the D750, but I have minimal experience using flash. I have been co-opted to shoot a family occasion which will likely require some fill flash use in the late afternoon then leading into the evening/night . I would prefer to shoot auto or programmable. Id likely use spot metering. I will use a diffuser on the SB700 and bounce off the ceiling where I can.

Id appreciate some help with basic settings to use to get through this. What angle do you set the flash head?

Thanks for your help.

Nick_Brisbane's gear list:Nick_Brisbane's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Horoscope Fish
Horoscope Fish Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: Nikon D750 with SB700

Nick_Brisbane wrote:

I am a pretty competent photographer in natural light or using the low light capabilities of the D750, but I have minimal experience using flash. I have been co-opted to shoot a family occasion which will likely require some fill flash use in the late afternoon then leading into the evening/night . I would prefer to shoot auto or programmable. Id likely use spot metering. I will use a diffuser on the SB700 and bounce off the ceiling where I can.

Id appreciate some help with basic settings to use to get through this. What angle do you set the flash head?

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest using Matrix metering, Aperture Priority, f/4 and ISO 200. Put the SB-700 in TTL mode. If you have a ceiling you can bounce the flash off of effectively, you probably won't need the diffuser, but it's a good thing to keep handy. If bouncing flash off the ceiling I usually have the head pointed straight up, but a lot depends on the specifics of where you're shooting so be flexible.

Personally, I like to decrease the Flash Exposure Compensation by about one-and-a-half stops when there is plenty of ambient light. Doing this typically gives me a nice amount of fill without it looking like I used fill-flash but again, you'll need to have sufficient ambient light in the first place.

To adjust Flash Exposure Compensation, attach your SB-700 then press and hold down the Flash button on the left side of the camera body. You should see the Flash settings light up on the rear LCD. Turn the front Command Wheel to adjust the Flash Exposure Compensation. Again, I like it turned down about 1.5 stops but adjust as necessary to get what you want out of your shots.

Horoscope Fish's gear list:Horoscope Fish's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads