Buy Functioning Camera or Fix Cheap Camera?

Started Sep 20, 2017 | Discussions
lazyfortress
lazyfortress New Member • Posts: 15
Buy Functioning Camera or Fix Cheap Camera?

I'm debating on whether to buy a $739 Nikon D3 that has no problems (21,000 shutter count) or a $400 Nikon D3 that has a broken shutter.  How much would it cost me to fix up the broken $400 D3?  What would you recommend on getting?  Also, what's the price of a heavily used D4?

Any help is appreciated!

lazyfortress's gear list:lazyfortress's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B500 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple iPhone 8
Nikon D3 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FrancoD Veteran Member • Posts: 8,947
Re: Buy Functioning Camera or Fix Cheap Camera?

If you can still get a D3 shutter replaced , I doubt very much it will be done for less than $500.

You could give the nearest Nikon repair service a ring.

(Google " Nikon Authorised repair service My City")

For my city I would enter Melbourne....

PK24X36NOW Senior Member • Posts: 1,932

lazyfortress wrote:

I'm debating on whether to buy a $739 Nikon D3 that has no problems (21,000 shutter count) or a $400 Nikon D3 that has a broken shutter. How much would it cost me to fix up the broken $400 D3? What would you recommend on getting? Also, what's the price of a heavily used D4?

Any help is appreciated!

I'd buy the functional one; the price difference isn't that big (in absolute terms), the shutter count is nothing for a D3, and you'll get to start using it immediately (as opposed to waiting for a repair, plus potentially bearing the risk of damage in shipping if you're not close enough to the repair center to take it there in person).

Dr JLW Senior Member • Posts: 1,067

Buy the one that works:

1) You do not know whether the bad shutter is the only problem

2) You do not know how or why the shutter broke, likely some form of abuse

3) Current cameras are built in clean rooms under carefully controlled conditions by peopel with special training in each area of assembly.  These cameras are not built to be repaired. or readjusted  Any repair of a modern electronic camera short of a Leica grade or top level pro stuff is high risk.  Even if you get a warrantee with repaired camera, you lose its use while they continue to try to fix it.

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,637

Having to go without during the repair period would be enough of a deciding factor for me. 

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +2 more
PenPix Senior Member • Posts: 3,261

Repair cost is going to be more than the difference in price. At 21,000 shutter count it is still a baby.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/32649510

coase Contributing Member • Posts: 747

Unless you have a top pro level camera or the fix is trivial, I would never pay to fix a cheap camera.  Too much disposability already built in to warrant the risk.

FrancoD Veteran Member • Posts: 8,947

coase wrote:

Unless you have a top pro level camera or the fix is trivial, I would never pay to fix a cheap camera. Too much disposability already built in to warrant the risk.

This is the camera discussed here :

coase Contributing Member • Posts: 747

If you can fix it so that it's several hundred dollars below a functioning used one then it's ok if that's what you want.  But you still take risks, especially since you may not know in advance how much it would cost unless the repair people will quote you a flat price.

Doug J Veteran Member • Posts: 9,810

coase wrote:

Unless you have a top pro level camera or the fix is trivial, I would never pay to fix a cheap camera. Too much disposability already built in to warrant the risk.

The D3 was Nikon's top pro camera at the time, with a list price of US$ 4,999.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug J Veteran Member • Posts: 9,810

Buy the functioning one, it's a gamble if you get the other one repaired for the difference in price.

Cheers,
Doug

Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 2,411

Instead of buying a broken Nikon , or one with a few miles on the clock , not much more than that would buy you a NEW Pentax K3 II .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +46 more
iago22
iago22 New Member • Posts: 5

I'd buy the functional one, the price difference isn't that big)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads