Got my RX10III in August

Started Sep 20, 2017 | Discussions
SeeTheWorld
SeeTheWorld Regular Member • Posts: 342
Got my RX10III in August

I got my RX10III in August and was raving about it to anyone who'd listen.  I'm still raving and recommending.  You all can understand what going from lugging pounds of Canon equipment to discovering this wonderful camera is like--exciting and freeing!  But, now there's a IV??  Should I sell my III and get the IV?  I'm only halfway through my Alexander White book.  And, I'm feeling kind of attached.  Is there a huge jump from III to IV?

-- hide signature --

Mary
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world . . ." Margaret Mead

SeeTheWorld's gear list:SeeTheWorld's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +8 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,640
Re: Got my RX10III in August

You most likely will not see a change in image quality.

If you need faster focusing and focus tracking then the IV would be a big improvement.   The question for you is if it's a $700+/- improvement to  you.

-- hide signature --

RX10 iii | RX100 v | Godox tt685s (x3) & X1T-S | Zhiyun Crane
http://501concepts.com
[from Nikon to Sony full frame to Fuji X system and now to only Sony RX]

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +9 more
downunder3 Regular Member • Posts: 163

I think it comes down to how much money you have. I first became enamoured with the Sony I" sensor when I bought a rx100 iii some years ago. I still love that camera. It used to be the only camera I carried when travelling but I sometimes felt restricted by the 70mm upper end (in 35mm terms). I didn't ever think I would be able to afford a rx10 iii. Yesterday, thanks to these forums, I found a Sony refurbished one  (with full Sony warranty) here in Australia for just over $1000 US and that was it. I bought it straight away. These have been selling new in Australia for nearly double that price and I couldn't miss the opportunity. If I had the money and the fast focusing of the rx10 iv is fact, I would likely have waited and bought it. But I think I will be happy with the rx10 iii for quite some time. I expect it will be my sole companion from now on (well there is my wife also) when travelling. The other influencing factor for me was that I also own a Nikon V3 with a cx70-300 lens (196 - 840mm in 35mm terms) that I use for any subject (eg grandson playing soccer) requiring super fast focusing. That is a fantastic combination. Just a pity the V3 sensor is not quite as good as the Sony (but the quality of the cx70-300 makes up for this) nor (in my opinion) are most other Nikon 1 lenses satisfactory for my needs.

Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,834

SeeTheWorld wrote:

I got my RX10III in August and was raving about it to anyone who'd listen. I'm still raving and recommending.

I've "sold" two to friends already  One of them, a Canon Rebel user, was green with envy at just how simple and great the RX10M3 works, and especially envious of the video features.

You all can understand what going from lugging pounds of Canon equipment to discovering this wonderful camera is like--exciting and freeing! But, now there's a IV?? Should I sell my III and get the IV? I'm only halfway through my Alexander White book. And, I'm feeling kind of attached. Is there a huge jump from III to IV?

In stills? No, just the burst shooting and AF tracking. But the video quality jumped again, the 4K is looking ridiculously good on the M4, certainly good enough to rival the GH4 and A6300 despite their larger sensors.

It's also got a host of subtle and useful improvements. There's a focus limiter now under the focus hold button, a touchscreen for AF, improved menu structure with 'My Menu' tab, much improved focus peaking, doubled the duration of HFR video, and a couple of other things I'm probably forgetting.

-- hide signature --

Mary
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world . . ." Margaret Mead

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7S +18 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,884

Kharan wrote:

SeeTheWorld wrote:

I got my RX10III in August and was raving about it to anyone who'd listen. I'm still raving and recommending.

I've "sold" two to friends already One of them, a Canon Rebel user, was green with envy at just how simple and great the RX10M3 works, and especially envious of the video features.

You all can understand what going from lugging pounds of Canon equipment to discovering this wonderful camera is like--exciting and freeing! But, now there's a IV?? Should I sell my III and get the IV? I'm only halfway through my Alexander White book. And, I'm feeling kind of attached. Is there a huge jump from III to IV?

In stills? No, just the burst shooting and AF tracking. But the video quality jumped again, the 4K is looking ridiculously good on the M4, certainly good enough to rival the GH4 and A6300 despite their larger sensors.

It's also got a host of subtle and useful improvements. There's a focus limiter now under the focus hold button, a touchscreen for AF, improved menu structure with 'My Menu' tab, much improved focus peaking, doubled the duration of HFR video, and a couple of other things I'm probably forgetting.

The one thing you didn't mention is the separate AF start button. I've shot DSLR's with this feature for many years now. I've grown accustomed to not having it on the RX10 III, but really looking forward to gaining that feature on the IV. It's worth $$$ to me because my thumb just knows to look for it.

-- hide signature --

Steve

SeeTheWorld
OP SeeTheWorld Regular Member • Posts: 342

Stflbn wrote:

You most likely will not see a change in image quality.

If you need faster focusing and focus tracking then the IV would be a big improvement. The question for you is if it's a $700+/- improvement to you.

I didn't think of the cost increase added to the loss of selling the III back  Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Mary

Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +8 more
SeeTheWorld
  1. downunder3 wrote:

I think it comes down to how much money you have. I first became enamoured with the Sony I" sensor when I bought a rx100 iii some years ago. I still love that camera. It used to be the only camera I carried when travelling but I sometimes felt restricted by the 70mm upper end (in 35mm terms). I didn't ever think I would be able to afford a rx10 iii. Yesterday, thanks to these forums, I found a Sony refurbished one (with full Sony warranty) here in Australia for just over $1000 US and that was it. I bought it straight away. These have been selling new in Australia for nearly double that price and I couldn't miss the opportunity. If I had the money and the fast focusing of the rx10 iv is fact, I would likely have waited and bought it. But I think I will be happy with the rx10 iii for quite some time. I expect it will be my sole companion from now on (well there is my wife also) when travelling. The other influencing factor for me was that I also own a Nikon V3 with a cx70-300 lens (196 - 840mm in 35mm terms) that I use for any subject (eg grandson playing soccer) requiring super fast focusing. That is a fantastic combination. Just a pity the V3 sensor is not quite as good as the Sony (but the quality of the cx70-300 makes up for this) nor (in my opinion) are most other Nikon 1 lenses satisfactory for my needs.

Thank you.  Glad you got your III! I hadn't thought of expense, and will put it into a serious part of the consideration.

-- hide signature --

Mary

SeeTheWorld

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

Kharan wrote:

SeeTheWorld wrote:

I've "sold" two to friends already One of them, a Canon Rebel user, was green with envy at just how simple and great the RX10M3 works, and especially envious of the video features.

The one thing you didn't mention is the separate AF start button. I've shot DSLR's with this feature for many years now. I've grown accustomed to not having it on the RX10 III, but really looking forward to gaining that feature on the IV. It's worth $$$ to me because my thumb just knows to look for it.

Hmmm.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Mary

Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,834

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

Right, thanks.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7S +18 more
Hung Low
Hung Low Contributing Member • Posts: 592

Congratulation.

So, you have any pics worthy to post taken with your new toy?

Regards,
Hung

-- hide signature --

People's Republic of China. Home of THE Great Wall.

Hung Low's gear list:Hung Low's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Apple iPhone X +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads