Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

Started 3 months ago | Questions
australopithecus Contributing Member • Posts: 575
Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

Can anyone who lives in the United States or the U.K. advise me where I can get 8mm "home movies" converted to digital.

I have several hundred feet of very old (60 years) exposed 8mm Kodak (colour) movie film which I'd like to have converted.  Every small town has a hick that will do it BUT I would like the work to be done by professionals.

The film was exposed in a Bolex cine camera, carefully edited and spliced.  Old family records, so to me they are precious.

I know that there are labs. that will clean, re-splice (if necessary) and convert.

Any recommendations ?

With thanks

-- hide signature --

Dave

 australopithecus's gear list:australopithecus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
jonno35 Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital
1

I to had this problem, old super 8 cine films. I managed to buy an old but working film projector from a car boot sale for £5. I still had my screen (the projector packed up ages ago). So I set the screen and projector up in my living room, I then got my canon digital camcorder on a tripod.With my wife on the room lights so I could see hat I was doing in between spools.It then was just a matter of refilming.The professionals wanted an arm and a leg because I have hours of film.

 jonno35's gear list:jonno35's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 18,294
Re: Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

Google "movie film to video conversion" and several companies come up.

It would make sense to send a trial reel (not too important) first to see how good they are. Blu-Ray output would be best, I think.

codecxbox Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

You may rent or buy a Wolverine 8mm to digital converter..

Donald B
Donald B Veteran Member • Posts: 7,493
just converted some

last week i just converted my first 2 rolls of 8mm, i picked up a projector from the op shop for $10 set it up with a piece of a3 photo paper as the screen and shot a video with my em52 placed directly above the projector, it came out fantastic couldn't have asked for better quality.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5, EM5mk2 my toys.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,749
Good option

codecxbox wrote:

You may rent or buy a Wolverine 8mm to digital converter..

Indeed, seems like a good option.

Wolverine 8/Super 8 Digital scanner .

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

 GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +46 more
FrancoD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,382
Re: Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

Some comments here about that Wolverine unit :
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011395

note that it records at 30fps (NTSC TV output) , so you will need to slow that down using a video editing programme to match the original 16 fps.
Digitaises at about 2 fps , so it will take some time to do a real.
(about 30 minutes for each of your reels)

Donald B
Donald B Veteran Member • Posts: 7,493
Re: Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

FrancoD wrote:

Some comments here about that Wolverine unit :
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011395

note that it records at 30fps (NTSC TV output) , so you will need to slow that down using a video editing programme to match the original 16 fps.
Digitaises at about 2 fps , so it will take some time to do a real.
(about 30 minutes for each of your reels)

i played the film at the fastest speed the projector would go for a smooth image and recorded it a 60p and adjusted correct speed in editing program

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5, EM5mk2 my toys.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1

FrancoD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,382
Re: Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

The "pros" can use anything from this :

to this :

Donald B
Donald B Veteran Member • Posts: 7,493
Re: Converting very old 8mm kodak cine film to digital

thats basically the same as my setup all placed in a dedicated box

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5, EM5mk2 my toys.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1

The Sage Knows Senior Member • Posts: 1,039
Best film to video transfer services
1

australopithecus wrote:

Can anyone who lives in the United States or the U.K. advise me where I can get 8mm "home movies" converted to digital.

I have several hundred feet of very old (60 years) exposed 8mm Kodak (colour) movie film which I'd like to have converted. Every small town has a hick that will do it BUT I would like the work to be done by professionals.

The film was exposed in a Bolex cine camera, carefully edited and spliced. Old family records, so to me they are precious.

I know that there are labs. that will clean, re-splice (if necessary) and convert.

Any recommendations ?

I would contact these companies. Their scanning goes well beyond simply video taping a film projection (not cheap though):

Cinepost: http://www.posthouse.com/ One of few that uses a "wet system" to prevent dust and scratches from showing up. Their name has appeared on several dedicated video forums when this topic has come up. Personally, I would ask them not to color grade the resulting video since the choice of white balance is somewhat subjective.

MyMovieTransfer http://www.mymovietransfer.com/about_MMT.html A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. You can download examples of their work or Google their name.

-- hide signature --

Robert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads