64GB or 128GB for Optimal Use on D850

Started Sep 6, 2017 | Discussions
cammot1 Regular Member • Posts: 116
64GB or 128GB for Optimal Use on D850

Figured that I am going to need one XQD and one UHS-II card for the D850.  I plan to order these tomorrow, before I have the camera in hand.   It looks like B&H and Adorama are on backorder on the XQD - 128GB.  Amazon is putting premium on its price for the 128GB. For the UHS-II its the other way around on availibilty.

Could someone advise on pros and cons of 64GB verus 128GB, based for what might be the optimal settings for images. Not sure if video should be set up to be used on the alternate card.  It would seem that the better option would be set the camera’s XQD slot to do both the image and video recording, thus requiring a large memory perhaps - unless the UHS-II has a particular usefulness over the XQD.

Any thoughts ? Comments ? Would be appreciated.

Thanks

cammot1's gear list:cammot1's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +1 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PaulBearer Senior Member • Posts: 2,267
I have no knowledge beyond what I did...

Ordered a Sony G Series 64 GB XQD card, and expect that to be my fastest.  That series if far faster at writing.  I didn't by Lexar as it's being sold and announced a few weeks ago it wasn't making XQD cards any longer.

My second card will be an SD, used just as overflow.  I will use whatever fast card I have in my D850.  YMMV.

PaulBearer's gear list:PaulBearer's gear list
Sony a6500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 2,147
Re: I have no knowledge beyond what I did...

PaulBearer wrote:

I didn't by Lexar as it's being sold and announced a few weeks ago it wasn't making XQD cards any longer.

Just for clarity, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lexar is not making storage cards of any kind any more, not just discontinuing the XQD cards.
That does leave only Sony making the XQD cards, which is troublesome.

Speck

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
As I Recall the Story...

Micron decided not to make XQD cards and announced it a few weeks ago.  They then announced the Lexar name is being sold to a Chinese chip company.  I assume that the reason the latter bought the Lexar name is to make chips.  If Micron isn't making any chips under its own name or some other brand name, it's not within my knowledge base.  Not information I needed to store.

As for Sony being the only manufacturer, I have full confidence that it will continue to do so.  On the other hand is SanDisk.  Don't know who else makes advanced CF cards.

I had XQD in the D4, and it worked great.

Sony a6500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Just an Add-On Answer:

I choose 64GB as it holds a lot of images, even big images.  There is also a limit to how many images I want on one card in case of loss or damage.  Never had bigger than 32 GB prior to the new one that is on its way.

Were I planning to do a lot of video, I might have a different thought.

YMMV.

Baldclicks Contributing Member • Posts: 534
Re: 64GB or 128GB for Optimal Use on D850

cammot1 wrote:

Figured that I am going to need one XQD and one UHS-II card for the D850. I plan to order these tomorrow, before I have the camera in hand. It looks like B&H and Adorama are on backorder on the XQD - 128GB. Amazon is putting premium on its price for the 128GB. For the UHS-II its the other way around on availibilty.

Could someone advise on pros and cons of 64GB verus 128GB, based for what might be the optimal settings for images. Not sure if video should be set up to be used on the alternate card. It would seem that the better option would be set the camera’s XQD slot to do both the image and video recording, thus requiring a large memory perhaps - unless the UHS-II has a particular usefulness over the XQD.

Any thoughts ? Comments ? Would be appreciated.

Thanks

When Lexar announcement came, I bought two lexar 128 gb XQD cards - they have worked great on my D5, and the Sony XQD 128 gb that came free with the D5 works great on the D500. The only gap I have is the 95mb/s Sandisk SDXC UHS -1 card use on the D500.  Perhaps I will bet the Sony 128 gb UHS -2 cards for both the D500 and the D850 at some point.  I read one of the threads that seems to suggest storage capacity does not impact write speed at all, but don't know if it's indeed true.

Baldclicks's gear list:Baldclicks's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Nikon Z9 DJI Pocket 2 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +13 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,637

64GB should be enough for most folks if you use the other card for overflow.  If backing up to the 2nd card then better get 128's.

-- hide signature --
 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Road Trip
Road Trip Regular Member • Posts: 213

Ernie Misner wrote:

64GB should be enough for most folks if you use the other card for overflow. If backing up to the 2nd card then better get 128's.

'depending on how much you shoot', that is.

Road Trip's gear list:Road Trip's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +16 more
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,717

A concern I have with the largest possible memory card is having all of my eggs in one basket. If the camera was stolen with the XQD card inside and before I could back up the images to another device, I could lose a week's worth of shooting.

That said, with the D810 I could get on average 1400 RAW images on a 64GB memory card which would loosely translate to about 1100 RAW images from the D850. That would easily be enough for a normal day's shooting for me.

Check how many images you have taken on your travels or local outings and from that you can determine the capacity cards that are optimum for you.

-- hide signature --

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders…tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
- Hermann Goring

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads