Great value telephoto

Started Sep 5, 2017 | User reviews
danieladougan Regular Member • Posts: 173
Great value telephoto

This is an excellent lens if you're just starting out with Micro Four Thirds, and it's extremely affordable compared to all the other telephotos in the system.

It's not a fast-aperture lens, so it's not appropriate for low-light situations, but in good light it's quick to focus and quite sharp.

I needed something faster, so I upgraded to the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 PRO, which is an AWESOME lens, but if you don't have the budget for that, this one will do nicely in many situations.

danieladougan's gear list:danieladougan's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V315030SU000
Announced: Jun 30, 2011
danieladougan's score
Average community score
MichaelInGC Contributing Member • Posts: 544
Re: Great value telephoto

danieladougan wrote:

This is an excellent lens if you're just starting out with Micro Four Thirds, and it's extremely affordable compared to all the other telephotos in the system.

It's not a fast-aperture lens, so it's not appropriate for low-light situations, but in good light it's quick to focus and quite sharp.

I needed something faster, so I upgraded to the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 PRO, which is an AWESOME lens, but if you don't have the budget for that, this one will do nicely in many situations.

It is a very nice lens, especially for the cost, but I found it to be a bit soft outside of the F/7.1 - F/11 range. You might expect softness down around F/5.6 but I also saw it above F/11, which surprised me. However the lens seems quite sharp in the middle range.

I do like the lens as it is small, very light and very good for what it costs. I bought it as a low-cost lens when I first bought the E-M1.2 as I was not sure that I would keep the camera and did not want to spend too much money if I was going to return everything. Now I am stuck with the decision as to what to buy to use as a general tourist walk-around lens, a 12-100 or a 14-150.

Regardless, I will keep this lens as an example of what you can get for very little money.

MichaelInGC's gear list:MichaelInGC's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads