A6300 does it still have overheating issues?

Started Aug 29, 2017 | Discussions
asr10user Regular Member • Posts: 210
A6300 does it still have overheating issues?

I am looking at getting an A6300, but am finding conflicting reports regarding overheating.  When the A6300 was first released there were lots of overheating reports.  Now in 2017, I look on youtube, some videos state firmware fixed overheating, some videos state its still there. What should I believe?

I currently have a Panasonic G7, and am looking to move to something else with a better AF system.  But am having doubts as some stuff I like about the G7, ill be missing fully articulating screen, battery life, cheap lenses.

Has anyone done the M43 to A6300 switch?

On a sidenote, I previously had an A6000 which I LOVED.  I just hated its battery life and expensive lenses.

asr10user's gear list:asr10user's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sony a6000 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kirwin
Kirwin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
Re: A6300 does it still have overheating issues?

asr10user wrote:

I am looking at getting an A6300, but am finding conflicting reports regarding overheating. When the A6300 was first released there were lots of overheating reports. Now in 2017, I look on youtube, some videos state firmware fixed overheating, some videos state its still there. What should I believe?

Here's a recent post how one owner deals with overheating...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60042121

Nothing has changed... Still conflicting reports which varies among owners.

I currently have a Panasonic G7, and am looking to move to something else with a better AF system. But am having doubts as some stuff I like about the G7, ill be missing fully articulating screen, battery life, cheap lenses.

Can't answer that one... I own an a6000 and have no desire to try M43.

I'm not sure why this should matter though, since you have experience with both systems.

On a sidenote, I previously had an A6000 which I LOVED. I just hated its battery life and expensive lenses.

Nothing has changed with the cost of Sony lenses... So I'm sure you'll still hate them.

To end on a positive note... CIPA battery life has increased from 360 to 400 snaps.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kirwin

Kirwin's gear list:Kirwin's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

My A6300 never overheated.  My guess is most of them don't, but you may get one that does.  Sample to sample variation, with most cameras not exhibiting a problem (but there will always be exceptions, as with every other product).

val1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,270

asr10user wrote:

I am looking at getting an A6300, but am finding conflicting reports regarding overheating. When the A6300 was first released there were lots of overheating reports. Now in 2017, I look on youtube, some videos state firmware fixed overheating, some videos state its still there. What should I believe?

it is fixed. Now the camera can just over heat until it burns your skin but it won't shut down. This is a great solution since the sooner you fry the camera the sooner you can buy a new one. Sony thinks ahead! Now the 1 year warranty makes sense.

I currently have a Panasonic G7, and am looking to move to something else with a better AF system. But am having doubts as some stuff I like about the G7, ill be missing fully articulating screen, battery life, cheap lenses.

and better lenses....

On a sidenote, I previously had an A6000 which I LOVED. I just hated its battery life and expensive lenses.

6300 does nothing to fix either issue.

val1's gear list:val1's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +13 more
OP asr10user Regular Member • Posts: 210

Changed my mind again.  The A6300 is clearly the better camera than my G7.  But it will be hard to give up articulating screen and battery life in favor of better AF and IQ.  I also like how the G7 does things like 4K timelapse built in, where as with the sony, its an additional purchase.

The G7 is cheap enough to just hold on to for now.

asr10user's gear list:asr10user's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM
Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

Some people, of course, don't agree with your retort, but hey, if that's what you think that's what you think.

caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,544
Overheating vs shutdown

asr10user wrote:

Changed my mind again. The A6300 is clearly the better camera than my G7. But it will be hard to give up articulating screen and battery life in favor of better AF and IQ. I also like how the G7 does things like 4K timelapse built in, where as with the sony, its an additional purchase.

The overheating issue is really about the warning symbol going on vs actual shut down. The firmware fix simply just increase the threshold of the camera before it warns you of an imminent shut down. With the firmware fix, once the warning is seen, usually you have a 5-8min window before it actually shuts down for good. Before, that warning can be there for a long time. It nags you no end for several minutes (15-20 min on avg).

Here is my opinion on the matter.

If you live in a cool climate place, where 24 degC is typical, you'll probably not experience that much or get to a shutdown situation. If you live in a tropical country like ours, where 29 degC is cool already, and you can hit 32-33 degC easily and typically, then expect to have early shutdowns.

There's also the thing about how long you intend to shoot 4k. In most situations, if you shoot only 1-5-10min segments, I think you shouldn't have any problem. 20-25 min usually is its limit for many, though others have exceeded that. The thing is, if you know that you will shoot 20-25min straight, maybe you should consider other options. But if you shoot short 10-60 sec clips, or een 5-10min, with 1-5 min rests, it should be able to cool off.

The reality is - 4k video shooting and downsampling 6k then to 4k with good codecs is going to generate heat. With such a small camera, I don't see any solution to the matter, considering this is a aps-c sized sensor. Maybe they can find a way in the future, but I think this is tough engineering challenge. It won't be a Sony thing. Once Fuji or others go for 4k video for long periods of time, overheating will also be a problem. If Canon ever goes that route with their M series, it will be the same thing. So, people thinking that there is an easy solution to 4k overheating issue and it is a Sony problem only, better think again. At least Sony lets you shoot for a long time, and just warn you when it is about to shut down. Fuji and others purposely limit their 4k shooting in 10-15 min. Or they crop heavily in 4k to reduce the processing needed and thus lower the overheating threshold.

The a6500/a6300 is not really for blogging or such use (though you can use it if you don't mind not having to see yourself in the LCD.). It is best used with you behind the camera. The reason why people tolerate it, in spite of its weaknesses, is the amazing images and video it produces. Couple this with fast and accurate AF even in the dim light situations.

The G7 is cheap enough to just hold on to for now.

The body is about U$585 in our country. Very tempting. But I got the U$980 g85 with 12-60 kit lens if only for the improvements of the g85. IBIS, dual IS capabilities, weather sealing, no shutter shock, no anti-aliasing filter, 1.1x crop only in 4k video, etc. The weather sealed and longer reach kit lens is also a good bargain to be in the package. If I were angling for a 2nd body, the G7 is a good choice though.

I think, barring lens problems or need, I'd say the g7 or g85 and an a6500 make a good tandem. Each one is offsetting the weakness of the other. I have the a5100 with kit and an 18-105 plus adapters to use canon lenses. The a5100 and the g85 complement each other from my POV and use.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +22 more
Lindsay D Contributing Member • Posts: 649

asr10user wrote:

I am looking at getting an A6300, but am finding conflicting reports regarding overheating. When the A6300 was first released there were lots of overheating reports. Now in 2017, I look on youtube, some videos state firmware fixed overheating, some videos state its still there. What should I believe

Mine has overheated a couple of times, in the UK, in less than 'hot' situations - just a warm day with a bit of direct sunshine (about 70 degrees). It overheated and shut down after about 30 frames (no video), no continuous shooting. I've since done the firmware upgrade but haven't been in direct sun again. I've also switched off the LCD when in warmish situations, which I think helps matters.

I shoot with u43 (Pana GX8 and Oly EM5ii), Sony APSC, and Sony FF.

-- hide signature --

www.lindsaydobsonphotography.com

the better twin Junior Member • Posts: 43

Not had any issues with mine and took it out in ridiculous heat in Las Vegas.

the better twin's gear list:the better twin's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 21mm F1.4 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +1 more
frenshprince New Member • Posts: 23

To be fair, I think the A6300 is the best mirrorless for video on the market.

The 4k video is spectacular (better than the GH5 one that I just bought), the AF is incredible, and with the APS-C sensor, you get amazing results for video AND stills.

BUT, As much I'm happy for making video on my Youtube Channel and for short films, I can't really use it for long session like interview or live concert.

Overheat is an issue, still not fixed, and even in november In france, could happen after only 20min.

BUT, it's an issue only if you want to record long session in one time. For my previous use, it never bothered me.

Now that my work is about long recording, I had to buy a GH5, which is perfect for that.

But I really miss the A6300 IQ.

xectis
xectis Junior Member • Posts: 39

On the video side I had the A6000 & A6300, great cameras but a failure in engineering. I also had various Panny GH series, great for video but unconvincing in stills IQ. The two best cameras I have also had (still have) throughout my curiosity for trying other systems are the Samsung NX500 & NX1. The latter two always deliver and chew heat for breakfast. For me the NX1 is still the best hybrid camera ever made, as of end of May 2018. Now that's proper engineering.

silverspoon Regular Member • Posts: 205

After all of this is said and done, the a6300 will always be infamously know as the overheating camera.

-- hide signature --

Some Sony stuff

specht05 New Member • Posts: 5

the better twin wrote:

Not had any issues with mine and took it out in ridiculous heat in Las Vegas.

I live in Vegas and my a6300 overheats pretty quickly. On a summer day it’s basically worthless outside.

Abarrutia New Member • Posts: 1

Hey there guys, I got a Sony a6300 just a couple months ago and ive been having overheating problems pretty often when shooting video in 4k. It happens in just 20, 30 min of using the camera doing short 1/5min clips in 4k, sometimes the overheating sign doesnt appear but still when i turn off and on, the camera wount turn on,  a red light flashes on the battery compartment and the only way to make it work is to take out and put back the battery in.

Tried doing the firmware upgrade  (2.01) and I still have the same problem.

ITs a bit of a pain because i use it mostly on gymbals to shoot b-roll stuff on TV kitchen programs and each time i turn the camera off i have to take it out of the gymbal and take out and back on the battery.

Any ideas if this will have a solution soon? Someone found any solution? Do you know if the Sony a6500 has the same issue? 
As the camera is still quite new I could ask for a change for a new body if you guys say that some bodies dont heat up as much and is just a badluck/goodluck thing.

thank you very much!

Agustin Barrutia

loseseeker Regular Member • Posts: 202

Abarrutia wrote:

Hey there guys, I got a Sony a6300 just a couple months ago and ive been having overheating problems pretty often when shooting video in 4k. It happens in just 20, 30 min of using the camera doing short 1/5min clips in 4k, sometimes the overheating sign doesnt appear but still when i turn off and on, the camera wount turn on, a red light flashes on the battery compartment and the only way to make it work is to take out and put back the battery in.

Tried doing the firmware upgrade (2.01) and I still have the same problem.

ITs a bit of a pain because i use it mostly on gymbals to shoot b-roll stuff on TV kitchen programs and each time i turn the camera off i have to take it out of the gymbal and take out and back on the battery.

Any ideas if this will have a solution soon? Someone found any solution? Do you know if the Sony a6500 has the same issue?
As the camera is still quite new I could ask for a change for a new body if you guys say that some bodies dont heat up as much and is just a badluck/goodluck thing.

thank you very much!

Agustin Barrutia

I saw on youtube channel technologymafia who has proved that by using battery grip help to reduced the problem. On top of that, it also increased the battery performance by double. Of course, you will also take into considerstion of the additional weight of the battery grip as well as the second battery's impact on the gimbal. If battery grip is an non option, perhaps u can look into powering the a6300 using dummy battery that connect to extrnal power source such as a powerbank.

The logic behind this is that, the battery itself generate a lot of heat. If it was removed from the battery compartment and replace by a dummy(which act only as a power link), the overall temperature of the camera should be reduced.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads