85/1.4 vs. 85/1.2 MTF charts

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions
J A C S
J A C S Senior Member • Posts: 8,824
85/1.4 vs. 85/1.2 MTF charts
 J A C S's gear list:J A C S's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +7 more
J A C S
OP J A C S Senior Member • Posts: 8,824
Re: 85/1.4 vs. 85/1.2 MTF charts
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +7 more
J A C S
full resolution sample
mordor_74 Regular Member • Posts: 491
Re: full resolution sample

I think i could make myself a reason of that sharpness wide open!

-- hide signature --

STM Trinity in progress! 18-55+55-255+24 Actually
http://samsungnxtips.blogspot.com

mordor_74's gear list:mordor_74's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX1100 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +5 more
Powerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,399

J A C S wrote:

85/1.4 http://www.canon.com.hk/en/product/catalog/productItemDetails.do?domainID=10010&prrfnbr=201243

85/1.2 II http://www.canon.com.hk/en/product/catalog/productItemDetails.do?prrfnbr=10256

How to read an MTF chart

Not as good as the 35LII:

Thanks for the MTF charts

According to canon engineers this lens is a balance between bokey and sharpness.

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm X-T1 +29 more
pokesfan
pokesfan Regular Member • Posts: 437
Looks good!

This is much easier to read than a chart. I don't see any deficiency with sharpness or bokeh rendering. They could use a better photographer however, judging from the set of sample images
Now can we move the shipping date up to September, so we can actually use this lens during wedding season?

pokesfan's gear list:pokesfan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 1,778

From the samples things look good, but... at least to me, the MTF chart doesn't seem to match this sample. On Canon's website, there's more full res samples and one seems to match the MTF chart's projected performance, but the two others seem a little better than the charts would suggest. Granted it's all a guesstimation, but I'm curious to see its performance first hand, or in a third party resolution measuring matrix.

What is great and seems pretty obvious, is they have worked very hard on CA and keeping it in check wide open. If accurate, that's a big strong point.

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +19 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939

Powerdoc wrote:

According to canon engineers this lens is a balance between bokey and sharpness.

Where did you read this?

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
J A C S
Re: Looks good!

pokesfan wrote:

This is much easier to read than a chart. I don't see any deficiency with sharpness or bokeh rendering. They could use a better photographer however, judging from the set of sample images

The skin tones are horrible.

I see a hint of green fringing, and that is. No nervousness in the transition area, very nice overall.

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,437
Re: 85/1.4 vs. 85/1.2 MTF

J A C S wrote:

How to read an MTF chart

Not as good as the 35LII:

been waiting for 85 with IS and great bokeh

will study photos

maybe a purchase by spring

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
aftab
aftab Veteran Member • Posts: 9,456

Scott Larson wrote:

Powerdoc wrote:

Where did you read this?

Read with Google translation.

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef85-f14-usm/interview.html

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +9 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939

aftab wrote:

Scott Larson wrote:

Powerdoc wrote:

Where did you read this?

Read with Google translation.

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef85-f14-usm/interview.html

Thank you! There's lots of discussion about eliminating color aberrations which is what I'm looking for.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 2,806
Re: Looks good!

pokesfan wrote:

Now can we move the shipping date up to September, so we can actually use this lens during wedding season?

post processing is done very poorly, also! i enlarged the shot and it looks horrid! i wouldn't attempt to print this shot more than 8x11 (if that much)!

1Dx4me's gear list:1Dx4me's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM
Powerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,399

Tazz93 wrote:

From the samples things look good, but... at least to me, the MTF chart doesn't seem to match this sample. On Canon's website, there's more full res samples and one seems to match the MTF chart's projected performance, but the two others seem a little better than the charts would suggest. Granted it's all a guesstimation, but I'm curious to see its performance first hand, or in a third party resolution measuring matrix.

What is great and seems pretty obvious, is they have worked very hard on CA and keeping it in check wide open. If accurate, that's a big strong point.

The 85 L 1.2 was good for lateral CA, but bad for axial CA (purple fringing)

The new one seems better for axial CA. MTF curves tell nothing about axial CA, because it's out of the plane of focus. It's also tell nothing about colors, vignetting, distorsion and flare.

-- hide signature --

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm X-T1 +29 more
Tazz93

Powerdoc wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

The new one seems better for axial CA. MTF curves tell nothing about axial CA, because it's out of the plane of focus. It's also tell nothing about colors, vignetting, distorsion and flare.

-- hide signature --

I don't judge CA off the MTF charts (not sure that's even definitively possible), the samples do a good job of confirming that. My only worry is, the samples look processed. If that's the case a lens profile would make a lens that suffers from CA issues look perfect. Personally I'm waiting for a Lens Rental MTF, or the DXO Sharpness "Profile". I find these two resources very comparable and relatable to image resolution.

As far as distortion, flare, vignetting, and colors... samples tell the entire story.  The only thing you'll need to confirm is there are no adjustments made to the sample images.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +19 more
J A C S

Tazz93 wrote:

Powerdoc wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

-- hide signature --

I don't judge CA off the MTF charts (not sure that's even definitively possible), the samples do a good job of confirming that. My only worry is, the samples look processed. If that's the case a lens profile would make a lens that suffers from CA issues look perfect. Personally I'm waiting for a Lens Rental MTF, or the DXO Sharpness "Profile". I find these two resources very comparable and relatable to image resolution.

As far as distortion, flare, vignetting, and colors... samples tell the entire story. The only thing you'll need to confirm is there are no adjustments made to the sample images.

Those must be JPEGs from the camera, as usual. You can use an exif tool to see what has been corrected.

Tazz93

Great point, I'll look and see if the exif info reveals any correction.

J A C S

Tazz93 wrote:

I looked and it seems that they used all possible corrections. Vignetting was less than 100%, somewhere around 60-70%.

Tazz93
Wow...

J A C S wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

I looked and it seems that they used all possible corrections. Vignetting was less than 100%, somewhere around 60-70%.

Thanks for taking a look. I haven't been able to look at it yet, but that is a little disturbing (but as referenced earlier not very unexpected).

J A C S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads