Generic Battery for 1DX Mark II?

Started Aug 28, 2017 | Discussions
CANUXR Forum Member • Posts: 53
Generic Battery for 1DX Mark II?

Is anyone using generic LP-E4 batteries for the 1DX II? I know those batteries will not display power left, I dont mind that. I am just looking for one that it's confirmed to work with the 1DX II.

Looking for 7 batteries so paying 180 USD each for originals is not an option for a 1 time use.

Thanks

CANUXR's gear list:CANUXR's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Hasselblad X1D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
charbsindxb
charbsindxb Regular Member • Posts: 342
Re: Generic Battery for 1DX Mark II?

Interested as well

-- hide signature --

Casual Hobbyist aka noob.
Instagram: @charbsindxb << cool stuff.

charbsindxb's gear list:charbsindxb's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Sony a7R III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
JoeCF Regular Member • Posts: 100

Canuxr, I am charging a Synergy version of the LP-E4 and will try it in my 1DX mkii.  Canon says the older Canon batteries will work.  This battery worked fine in my 1D3, including showing remaining charge in the camera.

JoeCF's gear list:JoeCF's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +7 more
Hellish Regular Member • Posts: 122

I picked up a bunch of used LP-E4 / LP-E4N's when the camera first came out as not only were the E19 not available but as you mentioned they are super expensive especially if you need 10 or so.

Hellish's gear list:Hellish's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
JoeCF Regular Member • Posts: 100

With the Synergy battery, the 1DXii initially challenged the battery by asserting a faulty connection and asked if this was a Canon labeled battery.  I replied it was not a Canon product.  The next message informed me Canon would not be held responsible for damage.  Once through that the camera worked OK.  The battery usage meter did not work.   The camera  was noticeably slower to focus and respond with an ef100-400 series 2 lens, shooting in very low light when compared with the "proper" battery.

JoeCF's gear list:JoeCF's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +7 more
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,738

The Canon LP-E4N works fine, at least. I have some from the 1DX I've used in the 1DX Mark II.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +26 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,652

I had two LP-E4 batteries permanently die within weeks of each other. I didn't feel like paying over $300 for two new batteries, so I got a Synergy battery for my 1DX for something like $30-$40.

It works great! I get over 2,000 shots from it and there is no significant change in shooting speed. Yes, there is no battery indicator, so I just charge it after 2,000 shots and carry an extra all the time. This is not a new inconvenience since my old LP-E4 batteries were telling me that they were half charged just before they died.

I hear Canon added more messages on the 1DX Mark II when you use non-Canon batteries.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
StevenSHH
StevenSHH Contributing Member • Posts: 574

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos1dx_mkii/eos1dx-mkii-battery.shtml

Current price for brand new LP-E4N is US$164, LP-E19 is US$169, both free ground shipping.

As for used, beware that some website only shows condition based on appearance, but doesn't show charge condition (I think only KEH does). And it can be hard to tell unless the seller can show you the battery info in 1DX / 1DX II.

Best of luck

-- hide signature --

Have fun with photography! Start taking photos!!

StevenSHH's gear list:StevenSHH's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
David Pavlich
David Pavlich Veteran Member • Posts: 4,238

I have to ask, when you paid that much for a camera, why skimp on the battery?  It's like buying a 911 Turbo S and wanting to put 87 octane in it.

David

-- hide signature --

I can dodge folly without backing into fear. Nero Wolfe
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more

David Pavlich wrote:

I have to ask, when you paid that much for a camera, why skimp on the battery? It's like buying a 911 Turbo S and wanting to put 87 octane in it.

I'm not skimping on the battery. I get more shots out of it than the Canon battery.

How much would you spend on a battery? $200? $300? $500? Canon wants to know.

What's a 911 Turbo S? I've never heard of it.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
David Pavlich
David Pavlich Veteran Member • Posts: 4,238

Scott Larson wrote:

David Pavlich wrote:

I have to ask, when you paid that much for a camera, why skimp on the battery? It's like buying a 911 Turbo S and wanting to put 87 octane in it.

I'm not skimping on the battery. I get more shots out of it than the Canon battery.

How much would you spend on a battery? $200? $300? $500? Canon wants to know.

What's a 911 Turbo S? I've never heard of it.

Canon already knows since I use OEM batteries.

Porsche.  0-60 in 2.7 seconds.  All wheel drive.  Very quick shifting Tiptronic transmission.  High compression which needs 93 octane or better to run properly.

David

-- hide signature --

I can dodge folly without backing into fear. Nero Wolfe
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more

David Pavlich wrote:

Canon already knows since I use OEM batteries.

So you won't spend a dime more than $169 on a Canon battery? You better tell Canon. The next version of the battery will probably be over $200.

Porsche. 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. All wheel drive. Very quick shifting Tiptronic transmission. High compression which needs 93 octane or better to run properly.

I don't know what any of that means. I'm just a photographer.

OP CANUXR Forum Member • Posts: 53

David Pavlich wrote:

David

David,

Because I went to the woods for 15 days without any access to power carrying everything in a pelican case by foot. The batteries I start with are the only ones I have. Tried an AC power bank but its very inefficient.  On a day to day basis I'm fine with my original Canon's.

Sony a7R II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Hasselblad X1D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
OP CANUXR Forum Member • Posts: 53

Update to the post: I did find a battery that works. The LP- E4 DSTE battery sold on Amazon works but with the following 3 issues:

1.- It will first ask if the battery has a Canon logo, press NO. Then it asks if you are sure you want to use it, press YESS.

2.- You will not know how much battery is left, it displays as empty, but it works fine until it runs out of power.

3.- Burst mode in highest speed only works for like 2 seconds then the camera shuts off. Any other lower speed is fine. Same thing with video at 4k 60p only works for like 10 seconds. Rest of video modes are unaffected.

So bursts under two seconds don't cause problems? I've never taken a continuous burst for more than a second.

With the 1DX Mark I, there is no limitation on burst length with the Synergy battery. I just held down the shutter button for several seconds and the camera performed perfectly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads