Nikon lens cap - scruffing up lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
ShutterDude Regular Member • Posts: 373
Nikon lens cap - scruffing up lens

Here's a bit of an odd one and I think maybe this is just me - anyone else finding that when they put on the lens cap on their lens, they end up hitting the lens with the edge of the cap?  I've done it enough that I'm seeing 'scruff' marks whenever this happens.

I try to be careful, but end up somehow hitting the lens from time to time....

Gearsau
Gearsau Senior Member • Posts: 1,613
Re: Nikon lens cap - scruffing up lens

ShutterDude wrote:

Here's a bit of an odd one and I think maybe this is just me - anyone else finding that when they put on the lens cap on their lens, they end up hitting the lens with the edge of the cap? I've done it enough that I'm seeing 'scruff' marks whenever this happens.

45 years of Nikon ownership, and, have never experienced that

It's you

Regards Peter

Gearsau's gear list:Gearsau's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +20 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 5,552

I've a vague recollection of this coming up before, but cannot recall the lens.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Martin Zimelka
Martin Zimelka Regular Member • Posts: 322

This is/was a common issue with the AF-S 58/1.4 where the lens cap would damage a thin plastic ring. Happened to mine too, but luckily it's barely noticeable and since I noticed it I've used either a filter or a step up ring to avoid this...

Here is someone that posted about it

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3579525

What lens are you experiencing this with?

Martin Zimelka's gear list:Martin Zimelka's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +11 more
Raymond Wave Contributing Member • Posts: 743

Martin Zimelka wrote:

This is/was a common issue with the AF-S 58/1.4 where the lens cap would damage a thin plastic ring. Happened to mine too, but luckily it's barely noticeable and since I noticed it I've used either a filter or a step up ring to avoid this...

I've experienced this now with my 58/1.4G even tho I'm super careful all the time. Kind of sucks.

Raymond Wave's gear list:Raymond Wave's gear list
Nikon D750
UGPRO Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Its a lens cap, 'Not to Tap' !! . . . then you should be good. . .

jshen808
jshen808 Senior Member • Posts: 3,807

ShutterDude wrote:

Here's a bit of an odd one and I think maybe this is just me - anyone else finding that when they put on the lens cap on their lens, they end up hitting the lens with the edge of the cap? I've done it enough that I'm seeing 'scruff' marks whenever this happens.

..hmm.. maybe if can, place a quality lens filter on the lens to protect the front element..

..Best wishes..

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Photography is my hobby.
http://www.pbase.com/johnshenphotography

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
YI M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
OP ShutterDude Regular Member • Posts: 373

That's just it with the 58 1.4 lens......after market lens any better?

Raymond Wave wrote:

Martin Zimelka wrote:

I've experienced this now with my 58/1.4G even tho I'm super careful all the time. Kind of sucks.

microbugs New Member • Posts: 18

Try a LensCoat instead. It is a neoprene sleeve that goes over the front of the lens in place of the cap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087N2K14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

microbugs's gear list:microbugs's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +10 more
UGPRO Contributing Member • Posts: 507

ShutterDude wrote:

Buy a cheap UV filter of same size as your lens cap/lens filter thread size, break and remove the glass off the filter. Screw the bare metal filter ring on to the lens and leave it on. You'll then keep/remove the cap on to the filter ring without touching the lens filter thread of lens body!!

Gearsau
Gearsau Senior Member • Posts: 1,613

UGPRO wrote:

ShutterDude wrote:

Buy a cheap UV filter of same size as your lens cap/lens filter thread size, break and remove the glass off the filter. Screw the bare metal filter ring on to the lens and leave it on. You'll then keep/remove the cap on to the filter ring without touching the lens filter thread of lens body!!

Why don't you just purchase a Nikon NC ( neutral colour filter ) instead ?,

NC = Neutral Colour.

No need to break any glass.

Regards Peter

Gearsau's gear list:Gearsau's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads