E-1 added to 4:3 collection

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
rdginto New Member • Posts: 21
E-1 added to 4:3 collection

I was able to land an E-5 about a year ago, having progressed from the E-510 (my first digital camera) to the E-620 (big improvement), and I've been having fun learning to master the instrument. I have been able to build a reasonable stable of lenses, although I still have not acquired one of the 50-200's.

All in all the E-5 learning has been going well, but I was intrigued by the talk here on DP as well as some other sites, discussing the Kodak CCD sensor in the E-1 (and some of the MF backs and bodies, like the Pentax 645D). So, I went looking to see what an E-1 would cost and was shocked to see such a low market for them. Needless to say I jumped on one and got it home for about $125CAD shipping included. Feels like theft.

After getting the camera home and equipping it with a 14-54/II I felt compelled to post here out of admiration for the unit. I should add the one I bought was very lightly used - in fact I could not find a mark on it anywhere, but did find out that it has about 12K shutter actuations. Effectively mint! Sample shot below.

Some impressions:

Smaller and in some ways easier to handle then the E-5, mates very nicely to the 14-54

Don't mind the tiny screen on the back (the only part that was not included was the snap-on hatch for the screen)

Controls easy to use once re-mapped cognitively from the E-5

ISO 800 noise is easy to deal with in LR/PS

Very, very nice build quality. Olympus must have really sweated this one as their flagship.

Colours are wonderful!

One or two questions/comments:

I can't see a camera profile in LR (Adobe Std is only option shown for rendering) - is there one out there?

Is the battery supposed to 'click' into the well on the grip? Seems awkward to have to hold the door down with one finger while turning the latch.

Here's a sample:

expos adj, wb and sharpening done in LR from RAW

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
avalvo Contributing Member • Posts: 665
Re: E-1 added to 4:3 collection

I just got one as well.  I am a big believer in ergonomics.  This was such a well designed body, why Olympus ever moved away from this style is beyond me.  They should bring back more of the styling cues.

Anthony

rnder72
rnder72 Forum Member • Posts: 74

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the DSLR Dinosaur club.

I have had mine for less than a week. Sure it has its limitations but sure is a cool camera to use, begs me to use it. The grip fits my hand well, I even like the offset thumb dial (how cool is it that it is angled in the axis of a thumb swipe!) Everything oozes quality, particularly like the squeeze of the shutter button (no micro click) and the sound of mirror and shutter. Given the tech I like the look of the files. For me this camera is a keeper.

Yep, there is no catch for the battery. The manual even states to hold the camera sideways or upside down to prevent the battery from falling out.

Have Fun

Rick

rnder72's gear list:rnder72's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR II Olympus E-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD
OP rdginto New Member • Posts: 21

rnder72 wrote:

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the DSLR Dinosaur club.

I have had mine for less than a week. Sure it has its limitations but sure is a cool camera to use, begs me to use it. The grip fits my hand well, I even like the offset thumb dial (how cool is it that it is angled in the axis of a thumb swipe!) Everything oozes quality, particularly like the squeeze of the shutter button (no micro click) and the sound of mirror and shutter. Given the tech I like the look of the files. For me this camera is a keeper.

Yep, there is no catch for the battery. The manual even states to hold the camera sideways or upside down to prevent the battery from falling out.

Have Fun

Rick

I agree - very ergonomic. I bought the camera partly out of historical interest (read some of the reviews from the release!), but I have to say I'm probably going to be using it a lot.

Thanks for the battery tip. I've since acquired the battery grip which makes a very nice addition.

Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads