Shooting time delay comparison - DSLR vs Mirrorless

Started Aug 21, 2017 | Discussions
DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,763
Shooting time delay comparison - DSLR vs Mirrorless

I performed this test just this weekend.  It is not scientific by any means. But what I found was no significant difference between the 2 systems.

A pro sports photographer probably will shoot before the action anyway. So the camera that has higher frame rate and better tracking AF will win hand down.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T30
ThijsH Regular Member • Posts: 305
Re: Shooting time delay comparison - DSLR vs Mirrorless

You are comparing a 5 year old $2000 camera against a 2 year old $3000 one...

IMO not a good base for drawing conclusions...

-- hide signature --

I wear safety flip-flops, so what could possibly go wrong?

ThijsH's gear list:ThijsH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +3 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 28,936

I think the Sony A9 has less delay than the A7r2.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,613

I'd love to see how you're doing the timing because I have found a pretty clear delay between my A7II and even a D3300

DSLRs are way more responsive than MILCs

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

sportyaccordy wrote:

I'd love to see how you're doing the timing because I have found a pretty clear delay between my A7II and even a D3300

DSLRs are way more responsive than MILCs

"The Sony A9's prefocused shutter lag was only 0.020 second with EFCS, which is very fast. Without EFCS, prefocused shutter lag increased dramatically 0.165 second, but with the fully electronic shutter, it was only 0.038 second." http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a9/sony-a9A6.HTM

"(d5)Manual focus lag was 41 milliseconds, a bit faster than the D4S's 44ms. When prefocused, shutter lag was only 39 milliseconds, which is very fast for a DSLR and once again improved over the D4S's 43ms." http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d5/nikon-d5A6.HTM

-- hide signature --

dan

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,346
Try when the processor is working

DVT80111 wrote:

I performed this test just this weekend. It is not scientific by any means. But what I found was no significant difference between the 2 systems.

A pro sports photographer probably will shoot before the action anyway. So the camera that has higher frame rate and better tracking AF will win hand down.

You should try when cameras processor is on heavy duty (which could affect the EVF response time) - like when it performs AF-C while shooting a series, saving the images, changing exposure etc.

golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 11,893
not surprising

"shutter lag" really hasn't been an issue on mirror less for some time. It is often FASTER than a DSLR.

Now EVF lag and AF delays are a different issue. That I don't even feel like getting into...........

Too often people seem to claim "shutter lag"(see several of the responses above) when it isn't the problem they are having or do not know how to use their camera.

You will also find the same issue often when discussing "evf lag" which is a real thing but just like "shutter lag" often incorrectly blamed for errors. Again "EVF lag" is a real thing and cause certain issues BUT it is too often incorrectly attributed to missed shots where the user just plain doesn't know how a camera works

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,127

Just use the E-M1 MkII with Pro Capture Low and get the 14 images before you pressed the shutter with no delay.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,299

I stood outside for half an hour with my DSLR trying to catch lightning, turns out that fraction of a second needed to move the mirror out of the way is too long to do it. First try with the mirrorless RX100:

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 18,805

SoCalWill wrote:

I stood outside for half an hour with my DSLR trying to catch lightning, turns out that fraction of a second needed to move the mirror out of the way is too long to do it. First try with the mirrorless RX100:

You do know that the mirror can be held up in LV, right?

SoCalWill
SoCalWill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,299

The K-S2 still moves the mirror when shooting LV, it takes longer than if shooting optically.

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
J A C S

No electronic 1st curtain?

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

lv in dslrs is usually a disaster, with some pretty ugly shutter delay... d800, for example.

-- hide signature --

dan

J A C S

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

lv in dslrs is usually a disaster, with some pretty ugly shutter delay... d800, for example.

How long?

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

How long?

prefocused: 0.184sec

w/full autofocus: 1.735sec

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d800/nikon-d800A6.HTM

-- hide signature --

dan

J A C S

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

How long?

Obviously, you do not shoot lightnings without prefocus, let us not change the topic.

For the D54, it is 0.054 sec in LV and not in LV! So the disaster is ... no difference.

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

How long?

Obviously, you do not shoot lightnings without prefocus, let us not change the topic.

what part of "prefocused: 0.184sec" did you not get?

For the D54, it is 0.054 sec in LV and not in LV! So the disaster is ... no difference.

what's a "d54" and where is the link to the measurements.

-- hide signature --

dan

J A C S

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

How long?

What makes you think I did not? I was saying that the second number is irrelevant.

what's a "d54" and where the link to the measurements.

5D4.

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

How long?

What makes you think I did not? I was saying that the second number is irrelevant.

except you never said any such thing.

what's a "d54" and where the link to the measurements.

5D4.

link?

-- hide signature --

dan

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

osv wrote:

J A C S wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

How long?

prefocused: 0.158 second

w/full autofocus: 0.875 second

lv prefocused shutter delay on the d810 is still weak.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d810/nikon-d810A6.HTM

-- hide signature --

dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads