New iMac with Sierra OS X 10.12.6 and old pics from my older iMac

Started Aug 17, 2017 | Discussions
Normo Junior Member • Posts: 45
New iMac with Sierra OS X 10.12.6 and old pics from my older iMac

My iMac was 12 yrs old with an old iPhoto version.  It has died and I had to have a professional computer data recovery business extract my old photos.  When I click on the folder of pics I want to move over to my new computer( from a Lacie external HD), I get a screen saying my library version is too old and I need to upgrade using the iPhoto upgrading tool.

My question is, when I upgrade this version so I can view the pics, can they be viewed in photos version 2.0 (3161.4.140) that came with this computer. or can I run iPhotos and photos at the same time on this computer.  Also does downloading this library upgrading tool for iPhotos screw up the photos program already installed in this newer iMac ?  I hope I am being clear.  Thanks for any guidance.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 13,956
Re: New iMac with Sierra OS X 10.12.6 and old pics from my older iMac
JPAlbert Regular Member • Posts: 247
Re: New iMac with Sierra OS X 10.12.6 and old pics from my older iMac

Although Apple doesn't provide easy access to it, there is still a version of iPhoto that can be used with Sierra.

It's iPhoto version 9.6.1.
No previous version will work -- only this one.

As I said, it's difficult to get from Apple's App Store.
Sometimes deleting the earlier version, then going to "purchased items" (even free stuff shows up there) and re-downloading it would work.
But then again, it might not.

If you really, really want iPhoto 9.6.1, I suggest you open browser search engine and enter "torrent iphoto 9.6.1".
Yes, I know downloading from the torrents can be a bad thing.
But when there's no other way to get it...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads