any good small standard zooms out there ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
samtheman2014
samtheman2014 Senior Member • Posts: 3,326
any good small standard zooms out there ?

Given, the flexibility of adapting pretty much any lens to our cameras. What compact standard zoom would you recommend AF is not vital, 28mm start would be ok, I would however  like good image quality.

The 24-70mm F/4 would have fit the job but I am not at all enthused by its optical performance { after reading numerous reviews and downloading dozens of RAW samples } for me it is a lens with too many comprises . I already have a large F/2.8 standard zoom , however I would like a smaller lighter option as a walkabout option. So the question is does such a beast exist

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

samtheman2014's gear list:samtheman2014's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
kelstertx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,481
Re: any good small standard zooms out there ?

samtheman2014 wrote:

Given, the flexibility of adapting pretty much any lens to our cameras. What compact standard zoom would you recommend AF is not vital, 28mm start would be ok, I would however like good image quality.

The 24-70mm F/4 would have fit the job but I am not at all enthused by its optical performance { after reading numerous reviews and downloading dozens of RAW samples } for me it is a lens with too many comprises . I already have a large F/2.8 standard zoom , however I would like a smaller lighter option as a walkabout option. So the question is does such a beast exist

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

If you're looking for lenses that can beat a modern Sony 24-70, you're probably looking for expensive Zeiss and Leica lenses, which is above my pay grade, but it will make for interesting reading.  Maybe you could narrow it down by stating what optical problems you found in the 24-70 f4 when studying the RAW files?  Vignetting?  Soft corners wide open?  If we know what you're looking for, we'll have a better chance of recommending lenses that have those properties.

-Kelly

kelstertx's gear list:kelstertx's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Pennyfan
Pennyfan Regular Member • Posts: 131

Buy 2470Z and test the lens until you find a good copy.

Pennyfan's gear list:Pennyfan's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,905

The FE 24-70 f4 is a good zoom, better than anything older. You may try to find the older Canon EF 24-85 or Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5, they were good for their day.

Other than that, if you want to travel light and small, nothing beats a m43 camera with the tiny 12-35 f2.8 zoom.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +1 more
slind Junior Member • Posts: 49

It is utterly disturbing to me that this seems to be common practice for Sony (especially Zeiss branded) glass.

slind's gear list:slind's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6500 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 5,023

slind wrote:

It is utterly disturbing to me that this seems to be common practice for Sony (especially Zeiss branded) glass.

It is not common practice - most people are perfectly happy with the lens they buy and never post or comment in forums. They are busy taking pictures.

If on the other hand you received a "lemon" (can happen with any brand), then you are likely to be all over the forums, amplified by other commentators, some of whom may never owned the lens.

The "problem" is exacerbated by Sony's high-resolution sensors which show the slightest deviation from "perfect" when viewed at 100% magnification.

BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 5,023

My question is, what is the point of buying a full frame camera if you don't want the full frame look (i.e. wide open, thin depth of field)? For camera with travel zoom, you are probably better of with APS-C or even smaller format.

A6300 with 18-105 is a good single lens solution for travel.

Full frame, I would much recommend a two-lens prime kit, for example FE28/2 plus FE55/1.8 - small and light lenses with superb image quality. If paired with a high-res sensor (A7rii) you have enough cropping capability that you can cover the entire zoom range with just these two lenses.

For legacy manual focus, I would recommend the Zeiss Contax CY 35-70.

slind Junior Member • Posts: 49

That is something that has never crossed my mind - I am in the process of deciding if I keep my new A6500 (the zooms are still abysmal, only 18-105 is decent for range covered and price) or if I go FF with the A7RII.

Being able to crop that much could be a really good option. I typically really like the FF look and it would be handy for the stuff I shoot (landscapes, architecture and portraits for clients)

I originally planned to use the decent Sigma lenses and the 30 1.4 together with some FF-lenses like the 55 1.8 and 85 1.8 until an A7 III might come out, but the A7R2 options is still tempting.

For zooms I have tested on full frame, I can not recommend the 28-70 kit lens. I've used two copies and I would not even take pictures for craigslist with them

slind's gear list:slind's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6500 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
txsizzler
txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,221

biza43 wrote:

The FE 24-70 f4 is a good zoom, better than anything older. You may try to find the older Canon EF 24-85 or Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5, they were good for their day.

Other than that, if you want to travel light and small, nothing beats a m43 camera with the tiny 12-35 f2.8 zoom.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

^ Agreed. I have the Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 (JAPAN version), and can attest that it's a pretty great lens for the $$$! Even it's macro capability is pretty decent!

txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S80 +11 more
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,446

slind wrote:

As one who takes the time to test lenses to be sure they meet my requirements, I've had occasion to reject more than a few lenses from several brands.

Regarding the OP's question. I found the first copy of a lightly used Sony E PZ 18-105 F4 G OSS I tried to not only meet my requirements but it also bettered my Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L IS in both AF and IQ in their shared focal length range.

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,540

You could get an LA-EA4 and one of the better (1st gen, I think) Minolta 35-105s. The lens itself is pretty compact, but still not that small once you add the adapter...

The 28-70 kit zoom is still pretty good, fairly compact, light, and cheap. It's not as good as the 24-70 Zeiss, but it's pretty close under many circumstances, much lighter, and quite a bit smaller.

-- hide signature --

A7-II with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T +8 more
PAntunes Forum Member • Posts: 61

BBQue wrote:

My question is, what is the point of buying a full frame camera if you don't want the full frame look (i.e. wide open, thin depth of field)? For camera with travel zoom, you are probably better of with APS-C or even smaller format.

Full frame, I would much recommend a two-lens prime kit, for example FE28/2 plus FE55/1.8 - small and light lenses with superb image quality. If paired with a high-res sensor (A7rii) you have enough cropping capability that you can cover the entire zoom range with just these two lenses.

Well, you may want the dynamic range, low noise, extra features. 
I've got the 24-70 f4 and specially for travel, I use it a lot at f8 or F11. It still gives me a better image quality than a APS camera.

samtheman2014
OP samtheman2014 Senior Member • Posts: 3,326

biza43 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

I already have a m43 with 12-35mm zoom { GX8 } 

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
samtheman2014

Pennyfan wrote:

Buy 2470Z and test the lens until you find a good copy.

To be blunt , I so not think you should  have to do this with a £900 zeiss branded  F/4 lens . And from the examples posted from those who think they have a a "good copy " I am not exactly convinced 

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

samtheman2014

BBQue wrote:

slind wrote:

It is not common practice - most people are perfectly happy with the lens they buy and never post or comment in forums. They are busy taking pictures.

Looking at the huge numbers of negative reports and hundreds of RAW examples the fact that some are easily pleased does not make it a good lens.

If on the other hand you received a "lemon" (can happen with any brand), then you are likely to be all over the forums, amplified by other commentators, some of whom may never owned the lens.

A  lot of review sites also seem to have got lemons

The "problem" is exacerbated by Sony's high-resolution sensors which show the slightest deviation from "perfect" when viewed at 100% magnification.

The 24-70mm F/4 is nowhere near perfect at any setting

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

maadfw Regular Member • Posts: 278

BBQue wrote:

Here is the comparison of the FF and suggested APS-C option.

http://j.mp/2uYIq2I

-maadfw

Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 3,768

Seems like fixed focal lenght lenses are the ones delivering the sharpness wanted...

Good AND small seems to be missing in the zoom world.

jonas ar Regular Member • Posts: 405

The 28-70 kit zoom is still pretty good, fairly compact, light, and cheap. It's not as good as the 24-70 Zeiss, but it's pretty close under many circumstances, much lighter, and quite a bit smaller.

I'm using the 28-70 kit zooms sometimes and find that it gives pretty decent quality images. And it's small, light and super cheap.

samtheman2014

Trollmannx wrote:

Seems like fixed focal lenght lenses are the ones delivering the sharpness wanted...

Good AND small seems to be missing in the zoom world.

That is a pity a high quality small slow zoom would be appealing to me at least 

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,212
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS....

Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS is pretty small and optically nice. If you want smaller, you can't get any better optical performance. There are some older compact sized (manual focusing) zooms (for adapter use), but IQ is problematic with them - because outdated design (CA, PF etc.).

I have minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro (basicly same than Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70 mm f / 3.5 ...

https://natalispalette.jimdo.com/new-and-old-camera-lenses-by-yuri-stangrit/comparisons-and-reviews/minolta-md-zoom-35-70-mm-f-3-5-a-diamond-in-the-crown-of-the-empire-minolta/

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/minolta-md-zoom-35-70mm-3-5-review/

..Yes, it's quite sharp, and has its own character, which is fascinating sometimes - however for some reason I prefer to use more modern lenses on digital sensor.

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads