D850 - selectable RAW size?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
MrScrooge Contributing Member • Posts: 699
D850 - selectable RAW size?

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/11/translation-of-the-leaked-nikon-d850-slides.aspx/

So according to Nikonrumors, the translation for this slide is as follows:

- Illuminated button for shooting under dark situation (finally!)
- Raw L, M or S for your selection
- Enhanced Multiple exposure flexibilities
- 1:1 photo size (new)
- SD and XQD dual card slots (new)

Do we think these are just crop modes - or some sort of re-scaled RAW files?

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
briantilley
briantilley Senior Member • Posts: 2,616
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?

MrScrooge wrote:

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/11/translation-of-the-leaked-nikon-d850-slides.aspx/

So according to Nikonrumors, the translation for this slide is as follows:

- Illuminated button for shooting under dark situation (finally!)
- Raw L, M or S for your selection
- Enhanced Multiple exposure flexibilities
- 1:1 photo size (new)
- SD and XQD dual card slots (new)

Do we think these are just crop modes - or some sort of re-scaled RAW files?

My guess is that it would be similar to the feature already found on the D5 and D500, which offer FX-size but reduced-resolution (small or medium) 12-bit lossless compressed NEF files.

 briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +22 more
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,008
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?

Great. I would love to see the option to record a full NEF on my XQD and a S-NEF on my SD card.

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.
http://www.nikonuser.info

 StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
4

-- hide signature --
OP MrScrooge Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
1

MRM4350 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Where's this photo from?

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?

From the camera on the left. The camera on the right is mine. I took the pic with my Fuji XP80.

-- hide signature --
elliotn Senior Member • Posts: 1,714
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
1

I notice you have a second picture in your gallery. So this is the D850?

elliotn Senior Member • Posts: 1,714
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
2

Hmm, I guess these must be fake, else that bloke at NikonRumors would have been all over them.

StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,008
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
2

elliotn wrote:

Hmm, I guess these must be fake, else that bloke at NikonRumors would have been all over them.

I think they are very real...

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.
http://www.nikonuser.info

 StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +1 more
elliotn Senior Member • Posts: 1,714
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?

StanyBuyle wrote:

elliotn wrote:

Hmm, I guess these must be fake, else that bloke at NikonRumors would have been all over them.

I think they are very real...

Perhaps he's on holiday.

turnschuh Regular Member • Posts: 285
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
1

makes me want to buy the nikon df... nice size, what about nikon df2 with d750 af modul?

 turnschuh's gear list:turnschuh's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED +1 more
slidewilson Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
1

StanyBuyle wrote:

elliotn wrote:

Hmm, I guess these must be fake, else that bloke at NikonRumors would have been all over them.

I think they are very real...

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.
http://www.nikonuser.info

NR is on it now... https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/14/more-nikon-d850-pictures-leaked-online-raw-and-jpg-options-size-comparison-with-the-df.aspx/

bootstrap12 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?

MRM4350 wrote:

From the camera on the left. The camera on the right is mine. I took the pic with my Fuji XP80.

-- hide signature --

any idea on the exact weight?

Smitty1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,435
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?

MRM4350 wrote:

Is this a new feature or did the D810 have different NEF / raw file size selections?  I don't mean crop modes, but full frame raw 100% frame output with different resolution choices.

briantilley
briantilley Senior Member • Posts: 2,616
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
1

Smitty1 wrote:

MRM4350 wrote:

Is this a new feature or did the D810 have different NEF / raw file size selections? I don't mean crop modes, but full frame raw 100% frame output with different resolution choices.

The D810 has a less flexible version of this feature - it offers RAW S (3680x2456 resolution, 9MP) but only in 12-bit Uncompressed RAW.

 briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +22 more
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,905
NDA? Or ...

MRM4350 wrote:

-- hide signature --

How come you have a camera and post a picture of it? Aten't you on NDA with the provider?

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Re: NDA? Or ...
3

I do not have the camera. I did hold it, snap a couple pics of my wife, deleted them (too much detail). I did not have the opportunity to really dissect the camera. A family member works for a company in the industry. I was totally surprised that they had one. It felt solid, but compared to my Df it was huge.

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?

I did not have the opportunity to analyze the camera. It was during a family visit.

Sorry, I do not have details.

-- hide signature --
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,772
Re: D850 - selectable RAW size?
1

briantilley wrote:

Smitty1 wrote:

MRM4350 wrote:

Is this a new feature or did the D810 have different NEF / raw file size selections? I don't mean crop modes, but full frame raw 100% frame output with different resolution choices.

The D810 has a less flexible version of this feature - it offers RAW S (3680x2456 resolution, 9MP) but only in 12-bit Uncompressed RAW.

Work by a number of people has shown the D810 small raw to be only 11-bit and it's not a raw file. It is a YCbCr format image, similar to jpeg. It doesn't have nearly the recoverability of a real raw file.

If Nikon changed something in the D850 that would be fantastic.  But I highly doubt it.  Shooting 12-bit lossy compressed NEF is way better than shooting small raw.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

 michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 15,806
Makes sense
1

michaeladawson wrote:

Work by a number of people has shown the D810 small raw to be only 11-bit and it's not a raw file. It is a YCbCr format image, similar to jpeg. It doesn't have nearly the recoverability of a real raw file.

If Nikon changed something in the D850 that would be fantastic. But I highly doubt it. Shooting 12-bit lossy compressed NEF is way better than shooting small raw.

Yeah. It seems to me that once you do anything to the raw data (like reduce the number of pixels!) it ain't raw no more; it's just some kind of image file. I don't see any way to preserve the color filter data when you downsize; you may as well output a JPG.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

 Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads