NEF Files Locked After Transfer

Started Aug 13, 2017 | Questions
Montana64 New Member • Posts: 5
NEF Files Locked After Transfer

Hi,

I just bought a D750 (and love it). When I transfer NEF files from the SD card to my mac (OSX 10.11.6), the files appear in the finder as "Locked".  In preview, I can't edit them in any way unless I duplicate them as a TIF file.

In another post, someone said, go into Nikon's view software, right click, and go to "Protect Files" change from 'protect' to 'Unprotect'. I did this both in NX View 2 and in ViewNX-i and when I go to 'protect' its as if the file is NOT protected, as the only I option highlighted for me is "PROTECT" (as the file is not already protected). ("Unprotect" is greyed out.)

Note that in ViewNX-i, I can indeed open the file and look at the image.

When I open the filed in photoshop it seems to open without issue.

So is this just a Preview issue? Is the photo not really 'locked'?  My concern is, I don't want to transfer 1,000s of images into meticulous folders and have issues later like a year from now when I know longer have the files on the SD as I will have reused them by then.

Also note the image is not "locked" on the camera and also the SD card is not in the locked position either. And I just updated my OS software and Nikon software just to be sure, but the issue remains.

Please help!

I know there's a similar thread on this topic, and I tried everything on there, and it didn't work--and my situation is slightly different, so I entered a new question. Thanks in advance for all your help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,223
Re: NEF Files Locked After Transfer

Have you played with this situation any more?  I would try some different approaches such as plugging the camera straight into the computer and/or uploading them to a new folder on the desktop or something and see how that goes.  You are not getting many replies for some reason.

-- hide signature --
 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904

Montana64 wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a D750 (and love it). When I transfer NEF files from the SD card to my mac (OSX 10.11.6), the files appear in the finder as "Locked". In preview, I can't edit them in any way unless I duplicate them as a TIF file.

In another post, someone said, go into Nikon's view software, right click, and go to "Protect Files" change from 'protect' to 'Unprotect'. I did this both in NX View 2 and in ViewNX-i and when I go to 'protect' its as if the file is NOT protected, as the only I option highlighted for me is "PROTECT" (as the file is not already protected). ("Unprotect" is greyed out.)

Note that in ViewNX-i, I can indeed open the file and look at the image.

When I open the filed in photoshop it seems to open without issue.

So is this just a Preview issue? Is the photo not really 'locked'? My concern is, I don't want to transfer 1,000s of images into meticulous folders and have issues later like a year from now when I know longer have the files on the SD as I will have reused them by then.

Also note the image is not "locked" on the camera and also the SD card is not in the locked position either. And I just updated my OS software and Nikon software just to be sure, but the issue remains.

Please help!

I know there's a similar thread on this topic, and I tried everything on there, and it didn't work--and my situation is slightly different, so I entered a new question. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Hmmm....

Could it be something with your OS?

I use Windows and don't know if OSX is able to lock files, as Windows is able to "give permissions" to files, but as the "locked" shows up in the OS' file finder, it to me indicates, that it is a problem with the OS setup.

-- hide signature --

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
MrScrooge Contributing Member • Posts: 730

Montana64 wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a D750 (and love it). When I transfer NEF files from the SD card to my mac (OSX 10.11.6), the files appear in the finder as "Locked". In preview, I can't edit them in any way unless I duplicate them as a TIF file.

I have a feeling that this might me a mac issue as opposed to a camera issue.

Apparently this can happen when transferring files from memory cards / USB drives formatted as NTFS:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5038984?start=0&tstart=0

I remember having this issue transfering files when my girlfriend had a mac - the most annoying part is that OSX does actually have inbuilt support for NTFS, it's just turned off by default and you have to jump through some convoluted hoops to turn it on. One of the myriad of problems caused by design decisions that simply don't need to exist on OSX that keep me away from the platform.

I would try formatting your memory card in camera and see if that prevents the issue happening again in future.

in the interim - does this next link help you 'unlock' the files you have already transferred?

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/tutorial/2008-12-02/dealing-locked-files-mac

nishagarg New Member • Posts: 2

try using DuplicateFilesDeleter

OP Montana64 New Member • Posts: 5

Thank you all for your help. I followed all the recommendations above--nothing changed, but my thinking is its a preview.app issue. but your advice helped me confirm (I think) this.  in the finder, when I go to "get info", under "General" the Locked status is not checked.  And even in finder, I am able to change the file name (one of the articles linked above talked about the inability to change file names). And the fact that photoshop and nikon's view softwares can open them, I'm guessing (and hoping) its just preview and that I won't have issues down the road. I've tried everything--even an import using the same software on a windows computer---the files are fine there.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

nishagarg New Member • Posts: 2

I suggest you to try DuplicateFilesDeleter

Montana64 wrote:

Thank you all for your help. I followed all the recommendations above--nothing changed, but my thinking is its a preview.app issue.

If your issue is not resolved, could you possibly post a screenshot of how the filesappear in Finder? I'd love to find a solution to this for future reference.

cheers!

Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,240

I had something of the sort. Try another card reader. Regards

nishagarg wrote:

I suggest you to try DuplicateFilesDeleter

Not relevant to this issue. Account has only 2 posts, both advertising an irrelvent product. Reported for spam.

L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,603

Seems that you downloaded the files on your mac from a different account or to a directory that your account does not have privileges to edit files. You can fix this by granting privileges to all on the files by selecting all of them and right clicking then select "Get Info" on the right click menu. Scroll all the way to the bottom and look at the privileges and change them. But you must change them from the account you downloaded the images and to a directory where you have sufficient privileges like your desktop.

You can also go to the command line, make yourself superuser and do it with:

cd ~/directory/with/images

sudo chmod 666 *.NEF -- You will be asked for the root password.

-- hide signature --

β€œIn my mind's eye, I visualize how a particular... sight and feeling will appear on a print. It is an intuitive sense, an ability that comes from a lot of practice.” – Ansel Adams

L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Dper2016 Regular Member • Posts: 115

A possibility if situation not yet answered:

"Downloading NEF images from newer Nikon cameras with Nikon Transfer 1 or older versions of ViewNX 2 (and probably Capture NX 2) may result in corrupted NEF images that can no longer be opened."

Quoted from this link-

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html

OP Montana64 New Member • Posts: 5

Sure. Sorry, I was traveling and am now back with the drive. Here's what it looks like in finder.  (didn't find any resolution.) :

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads