GR Digital III and IV: Used prices

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Francis88 New Member • Posts: 22
GR Digital III and IV: Used prices

Hi everyone,
I've noticed that the used prices of the GRD III and IV are fairly high, more so than the newer GR models in some cases. Is there any reason for this? 
I was curious about whether the IV would still be a good buy for its macro mode and quick focussing, but perhaps the forum members could recommend a newer camera from Panasonic, Canon etc that could be more capable?
It's 2017 and I assumed tech would have moved on significantly by now. Who would have thought we would be desiring cameras from 5 years ago? 

Ricoh GR Digital III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joe Pineapples II
Joe Pineapples II Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: GR Digital III and IV: Used prices

Francis88 wrote:

Hi everyone,
I've noticed that the used prices of the GRD III and IV are fairly high, more so than the newer GR models in some cases. Is there any reason for this?
I was curious about whether the IV would still be a good buy for its macro mode and quick focussing, but perhaps the forum members could recommend a newer camera from Panasonic, Canon etc that could be more capable?
It's 2017 and I assumed tech would have moved on significantly by now. Who would have thought we would be desiring cameras from 5 years ago?

Like the GXR, the GRD IV is an example of Ricoh's technical innovation that sadly didn't go any further.

J.

Geoff_B Contributing Member • Posts: 705

The GRD cameras all produce unique images. Some prefer them over the GR series. The GRD III and IV are essentially the same, with the IV using a different and faster focusing system. If you don't do a lot of auto-focusing, the III costs less.

rondom Senior Member • Posts: 2,524

Joe Pineapples II wrote:

Francis88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Like the GXR, the GRD IV is an example of Ricoh's technical innovation that sadly didn't go any further.

J.

Wasn't the GR and GRII the next step? Or Maybe you still see the need for a small sensor GRD? I can see a case made for that as a strictly street camera with more depth of field etc. (1" sensor maybe?) anyhow in light of zero Ricoh cameras in the horizon, I doubt that there is any point in discussing multiple Ricoh cameras aiming different user groups. Even a GRIII update will be cause of celebration for many.

Joe Pineapples II
Joe Pineapples II Senior Member • Posts: 1,900

rondom wrote:

Joe Pineapples II wrote:

Francis88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

J.

Wasn't the GR and GRII the next step? Or Maybe you still see the need for a small sensor GRD? I can see a case made for that as a strictly street camera with more depth of field etc. (1" sensor maybe?) anyhow in light of zero Ricoh cameras in the horizon, I doubt that there is any point in discussing multiple Ricoh cameras aiming different user groups. Even a GRIII update will be cause of celebration for many.

I was thinking of the fast hybrid AF system in the GRD IV. It seemed like a great system for a fixed prime lens camera like the GR.

J.

rondom Senior Member • Posts: 2,524

Joe Pineapples II wrote:

rondom wrote:

Joe Pineapples II wrote:

Francis88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

J.

I was thinking of the fast hybrid AF system in the GRD IV. It seemed like a great system for a fixed prime lens camera like the GR.

J.

Thanks for clarifying.

MattTemple Regular Member • Posts: 117

Francis88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Depending on what country you're in the GRD1,2,3 are getting harder to find. They're more for the B&W street photographer who has some soul. Also the faster lens and much more useable snap focus with the small sensor makes the camera great for night. Try to buy off of Ebay as people put ridiculous prices.

berni29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,950

Hi

In Hong Kong I recently bought a GRD II for US$ 65, and a GRD 4 for US$ 115 although those were definitely on the cheap side. There are a lot of "better" more modern cameras available at similar price points including the original RX100 and Panasonic LX series.

All the best

-- hide signature --

Berni29
m4/3 (long time), Sony FF, Fuji X and Ricoh GR, please see gear list.

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 Fujifilm X-T10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +15 more
MattTemple Regular Member • Posts: 117

berni29 wrote:

Hi

In Hong Kong I recently bought a GRD II for US$ 65, and a GRD 4 for US$ 115 although those were definitely on the cheap side. There are a lot of "better" more modern cameras available at similar price points including the original RX100 and Panasonic LX series.

All the best

-- hide signature --

Berni29
m4/3 (long time), Sony FF, Fuji X and Ricoh GR, please see gear list.

That is cheap !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads