Broken Sony FE 70-200mm F4 after drop

Started Aug 8, 2017 | Discussions
gataz New Member • Posts: 10
Broken Sony FE 70-200mm F4 after drop

Hey guys, I have seen few post on the internet with same problem. Accidentally dropped my 70-200mm F4 lens and now I have two pieces Went to service, but they claim, that sony have no spare parts for this lens. Maybe you have some advice how to fix it?

As you see build quality is very poor...

mgonda Contributing Member • Posts: 574
Re: Broken Sony FE 70-200mm F4 after drop

Its not the build quality is very poor, rather, they use plastic parts to connect the two major sections.

I had this exact thing happen to me and was fixed by Sony's authorized repair shop (Precision Camera: http://www.precisioncamera.com) for around $300 in 2016.

Been there, done that..... Sorry to see another case.

mgonda's gear list:mgonda's gear list
Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Jrnichols5 Contributing Member • Posts: 604

Oh man, as an owner of this lens, this really scares me. How did you drop the lens? I find it astounding that a simple drop could cause this lens to break in half. Goes to show one weak component, in an otherwise well built lens, can be its downfall.

Jrnichols5's gear list:Jrnichols5's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
alextardif
alextardif Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

gataz wrote:

Went to service, but they claim, that sony have no spare parts for this lens.

Curious, where did you take it in for repair?  Did they tell you they can't fix it at all or the repair would simply be delayed to to lack of parts?

-- hide signature --

Alex

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +2 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,035

Sorry to hear your accident and hope you will find a place to get it repaired.

I also dropped my FE 70-200 right at this place right to concrete ground in my Tibet trip last time.  Fortunately not high and in vertical position when I swapping the lens.   The impact was on rear mounted cap, no even scratch on body and lens' performance has no change since luckily.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,969

Well, what do you guys think is better:

1. Lens breaks in two sections in a "weak" point, but the two sections individually are strong and no glass was broken inside, or;

2. Lens does not break, but the innards take the brunt of the impact and you potentially end up with broken glass or more pieces to replace inside?

P.S. I find it strange that Sony replied to you saying that they have no spare parts. Was it a temporary shortness, or they really can't get the spare parts in the future?

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
psartman
psartman Regular Member • Posts: 289

How can they not have parts for a lens currently in production?

psartman's gear list:psartman's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +2 more
Jrnichols5 Contributing Member • Posts: 604

biza43 wrote:

1. Lens breaks in two sections in a "weak" point, but the two sections individually are strong and no glass was broken inside, or;

2. Lens does not break, but the innards take the brunt of the impact and you potentially end up with broken glass or more pieces to replace inside?

P.S. I find it strange that Sony replied to you saying that they have no spare parts. Was it a temporary shortness, or they really can't get the spare parts in the future?

Why not go with option 3?

3. Lens is built like a tank and when you drop it onto a hard surface, no damage is done to either the outside or "innards".

Lets not minimize this issue, G series lenses are not supposed to break in half! Seems like a serious design flaw from Sony.

Jrnichols5's gear list:Jrnichols5's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
mgonda Contributing Member • Posts: 574

Jrnichols5 wrote:

Oh man, as an owner of this lens, this really scares me. How did you drop the lens? I find it astounding that a simple drop could cause this lens to break in half. Goes to show one weak component, in an otherwise well built lens, can be its downfall.

I did not drop my lens.  It was mounted on a7Rii and was laying flat in the back of the car (hatch back).  Drove over a speed bump and it must have bounced on the floor.  Cracked it in half, just the the OP's image.

The repair folks told me that its not that unusual for this lens and that they've fixed several in the exact same location.

I had plenty of Sonyfanboys get on me at the time how luck I was by having the lens break instead of body or the glass itself.  Frankly, its a design flaw.  I have dropped my Nikon lens and have dented over the years and not once has it broke in half.

I get the mechanical fuse concept but this is poor.

Needless to say I am not interested in GM version or 100-400GM either.  I'll stick with primes or short zooms from Sony.

mgonda's gear list:mgonda's gear list
Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 445

Jrnichols5 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

3. Lens is built like a tank and when you drop it onto a hard surface, no damage is done to either the outside or "innards".

Lets not minimize this issue, G series lenses are not supposed to break in half! Seems like a serious design flaw from Sony.

Indeed, I have several 40+ year old Nikkor lenses that are made mostly of metal and will outlast us all. If you drop them on rocks, watch out for broken rock.

Meanwhile, Sony cost cutters saved $.03 by using plastic to hold that $1500 lens together.

NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 +23 more
OP gataz New Member • Posts: 10

Jrnichols5 wrote:

Lens were mounted to Peak design mount on my belt. The height was not more than 1 meter and it landen on lens hoods...

OP gataz New Member • Posts: 10

alextardif wrote:

gataz wrote:

Curious, where did you take it in for repair? Did they tell you they can't fix it at all or the repair would simply be delayed to to lack of parts?

This was my local service. I will try go to official Sony service.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648

gataz wrote:

alextardif wrote:

gataz wrote:

Curious, where did you take it in for repair? Did they tell you they can't fix it at all or the repair would simply be delayed to to lack of parts?

Is your local service an official Sony repair facility ?

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2* or Photo Mate r3
***Only a fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart***
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,102

gataz wrote:

alextardif wrote:

gataz wrote:

There are certainly parts available from Encompass. For instance (not sure this is the needed part, but it might be): https://sony.encompass.com/item/10861514/Sony/A-2122-152-A/Tube_Unit,_(middle)_Outer

-- hide signature --

A7-II with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +33 more
PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,398

Marti58 wrote:

gataz wrote:

alextardif wrote:

gataz wrote:

Is your local service an official Sony repair facility ?

Of course it wasn't authorized Sony. So no one has seen a lens break like this huh? It does happen and this is a lightweight lens. Enough pressure and it is going to snap like it is designed to. If it didn't and more pressure was required, it likely would damage the mount and cost much more to repair with many more parts.

Quick Google Search of broken lenses:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3963642

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/broken-camera-lens.html

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
N N Nikmat Regular Member • Posts: 194

Jrnichols5 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Not so sure about this.  Why do cars have crumple zones?  They absorb energy in a collision protecting the precious internals - humans.

PDM Veteran Member • Posts: 3,197

N N Nikmat wrote:

Jrnichols5 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Not so sure about this. Why do cars have crumple zones? They absorb energy in a collision protecting the precious internals - humans.

Canon and Nikon users have used their 70-200 zoom lenses for 10 to 20 years and have not experienced issues like this. This Sony "pro" (at least in price) lens seems more in line with the inexpensive Canon and Nikon consumer lenses, from a build standpoint. In fact, i think even they have a better track record for durability. Shame on Sony.

Jrnichols5 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

I was not minimizing anything. I posed a simple question, which you have not replied. Sure, one can go with your 3rd option. But I never saw evidence of a lens "built like a tank", being dropped into a hard surface and surviving undamaged. The impact must be absorbed some place, and if the exterior is all metal, such impact will damage the glass elements.

Personally, I prefer option 1, having a purposely built "weak point", where in case of impact the repair will be easier and cheaper than buying a new lens.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more

PDM wrote:

N N Nikmat wrote:

Jrnichols5 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Not so sure about this. Why do cars have crumple zones? They absorb energy in a collision protecting the precious internals - humans.

Canon and Nikon users have used their 70-200 zoom lenses for 10 to 20 years and have not experienced issues like this. This Sony "pro" (at least in price) lens seems more in line with the inexpensive Canon and Nikon consumer lenses, from a build standpoint. In fact, i think even they have a better track record for durability. Shame on Sony.

Actually, the following happened to me in 2000: my 70-200 f2.8 L lens dropped from tripod height into the floor (due to haste changing the lens, on my part). Guess what: the lens did not broke, but something inside was bent and became misaligned. The folks from CPS told me that the lens was built like this to survive the daily bumps that pros submit them to. But in instances of dropping, something inside always gives up.

So there you go. IMO is better for a lens, upon being dropped, to break at a mechanical junction, making repairs easier and cheaper.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 6,225

Well, I think most users of this lens will use it for many,many years without trouble. The brand I had most trouble with, with broken cameras and many broken lenses, was Leica.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads