11-22mm vs. 15-45mm: Is the extra wide 4mm really worth it?

Started Aug 7, 2017 | Discussions
ppg677 Regular Member • Posts: 107
11-22mm vs. 15-45mm: Is the extra wide 4mm really worth it?

I have no doubt that the 11-22mm takes sharper pictures than the 15-45mm.

What I'm not sure about is how useful the extra 11-14mm range is.  Any takers?

davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,981
Re: 11-22mm vs. 15-45mm: Is the extra wide 4mm really worth it?

ppg677 wrote:

What I'm not sure about is how useful the extra 11-14mm range is. Any takers?

4mm is a LOT when it comes to UWA  if my math is ok its the same difference as say a 55mm and 75mm   the11-22 is sharper than the 15-45 .which is an ok lens...the 11-22 is an excellent lens ...the 15-45 is at its weakest at the wide end   so you probably have more than 4mm useful to you

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
You are joking ....i have a sony nex ...i think the designers was an anti photographer sadist ...the only way to make it more less enjoyable to use would be to superglue a drawing pin to the shutter button...pin up

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
4xdog Contributing Member • Posts: 556

I shoot with both, and yes, those 4 mm are significant.  If you can, add the 11-22 mm to your kit.  You'll love it.

4xdog's gear list:4xdog's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M3 +12 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

Yes. Difference between 84 and 102 degrees diagonal FOV.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153

Yes, it's YUUUUUUGE!

Okay on a serious note, it's the difference between the shot being interesting, and not.

The idea of UWA is to distort the proportional composition, which 11mm on a crop does ALOT better than 15mm on a crop.

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,079
It's all relative...

..that is, relative to the type of shooting you plan on doing.  The more I use the 15-45, the more I'm really coming to enjoy this lens, despite the fact that the corners (usually one corner over the other) are not as sharp as the center.  You can use this lens for scenics as the equivalent 25 MM wide angle view is sufficient enough.

As for the 11-22, as you mentioned, it is one sharp optic for the genre.  This is actually a lens that many folks could use as a "keep it on the camera all of the time" optic.  It is ideally suited for photography involving architectural (whether interior or exterior), and scenics, where a wider expanse can be captured.  Additionally, it has a much better build quality over the 14-45 and obviously costs a bit more.  If Canon could produce more lenses with the quality of the 11-22, then quite a few Canon M users would be very, very happy.

Bottom line - it's all relative to what and how you shoot.  I use both.  Now in getting back to the 15-45, I have to honestly say that I've done a huge turn around on this lens.  In the past I indicated that I enjoyed using it but wasn't crazy about the plastic construction (which included a plastic lens mount also).  I said that the IQ was just fine.  But the more I use this lens, the more I'm really getting to like it.  Although plastic, I have to admit now that it is superbly constructed for the genre and price point.  And the lens is fairly sharp - although as one might expect with a kit lens in this price point - depending on copy, the edges are nowhere as sharp as the center area.

So how do I use both lenses:

15-45 f3.5-6.3 IS:

General purpose, scenic, portraits, street work, and light telephoto work.

11-22 f4-5.6 IS:

Ideal for scenics, architectural, and street work (which is surprising).

Recommendation - get both!  The 15-45 can be found for a pittance on ebay, mostly from folks or stores who separated the kits.  The link can be found here.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCanon+EF-M+15-45+f3.5-6.3+IS.TRS0&_nkw=Canon+EF-M+15-45+f3.5-6.3+IS&_sacat=0

The 11-22 can be found for mostly retail - no matter where you look, however, there are some lower prices on eBay - you just have to find them:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Canon+EF-M+15-45+f3.5-6.3+IS&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCanon+EF-M+11-22+f4-5.6+IS.TRS0&_nkw=Canon+EF-M+11-22+f4-5.6+IS&_sacat=0

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X30 Olympus E-330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M +15 more
4xdog Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: It's all relative...

Ben Herrmann wrote:

...The more I use the 15-45, the more I'm really coming to enjoy this lens, despite the fact that the corners (usually one corner over the other) are not as sharp as the center...

Agreed, Ben.  I've boosted this lens on here for months now, although that was generally a minority opinion. (smile)

The EF-M 15-45 mm is a great fit in the M ecosystem.  It's light, compact, and more than good enough quality for walking around.  For pure IQ, the 11-22 and 22 mm prime are better.

4xdog's gear list:4xdog's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M3 +12 more
freakmax Regular Member • Posts: 257

I have 1545. I tried 1122 at the local shop.

IMO, 11mm and 15mm, you can notice a difference but it's not that big.

It's not much wider, more like 2-step back.  The 15mm on 1122 has less distortion though.

I didn't buy the 1122 because 15mm is wide enough for me.

If it's 11-22 f4, I would sell my 22f2 and bought it.

freakmax's gear list:freakmax's gear list
Sony a9 Canon 6D Mark II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sony FE 28mm F2 +3 more
Rockin_Robin Regular Member • Posts: 290

As people have already stated - it depends on the sort of shots you take, but if it's dramatic landscapes then this lens is for you. It can turn a "ho hum" image into a "wow" image just by twisting the focal length ring to 11mm.

Rockin_Robin's gear list:Rockin_Robin's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,940

ppg677 wrote:

What I'm not sure about is how useful the extra 11-14mm range is. Any takers?

Any given lens range, or prime, can be the perfect lens for somebody. It depends on what your do.

For landscapes, I wouldn't trade the 11-22 for the 15-45 unless you included enough money for me to buy another 11-22.

That 4mm is huge. Immense. If you shoot far away mountains or from the middle of open fields, maybe not. But I have shot where I cannot move any further back and 15 would not make the shot I wanted. On some occasions, the 11 is barely enough.

Hclarkx Regular Member • Posts: 433

I use it for "dramatic" landscapes down to 11mm and have even had to take a couple of images at 11mm and stitch them to get it all in. Though this often makes the majestic snow capped peaks so small they become insignificant so I sometimes then crop to get back some recognizable features and end up where I should have been in the first place, at 15mm or higher. This is not to say I don't take some at 11mm that are just fine; but I also get the same images with my M 28mm by rotating it up 90 deg and taking three images and stitching them (maybe then cropping some). Heck, I have some images made by stitching 2 or 3 or 4 shots from the 15-45. If you think you won't use that extra 4 mm very often, stitching is the alternative. Heck, even Lightroom does excellent stitching now.

Three of the four shots below are stitched from M28 or M15-45 or M11-22 shots. One is straight from the 11-22 shot at 11mm. The meta data will probably tell you which is which, but the point is one can get UWA shots without going below 15mm.

Correction ....... the stitched shot from the 15-45 didn't get into this group.

Hclarkx's gear list:Hclarkx's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,940

freakmax wrote:

It's not much wider, more like 2-step back.

I don't think this is accurate, but I'll have to check to be certain.

Regardless, I have been in numerous situations where two steps back were impossible to take.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
Re: It's all relative...

Yeah that 15-45 is ALOT of fun, and small/light.

MannyV
MannyV Contributing Member • Posts: 674

I have both lenses. Difference is huge. I leave the 11-22mm virtually glued to my M5. It's the reason I am in Canon mirrorless camp

davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,981

MannyV wrote:

I have both lenses. Difference is huge. I leave the 11-22mm virtually glued to my M5. It's the reason I am in Canon mirrorless camp

YES the 11-22 is why i get M/M2 and contemplating the M5

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
You are joking ....i have a sony nex ...i think the designers was an anti photographer sadist ...the only way to make it more less enjoyable to use would be to superglue a drawing pin to the shutter button...pin up

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
HeyItsJoel
HeyItsJoel Senior Member • Posts: 1,206
Yes.

(cricket noise)

nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 6,983
Absolutely!

If you don't own and regularly use the EF-M 11-22mm lens, you probably should not have bought into the EOS M system in the first place.  The same could also be said of the EF-M 22mm.

jcochran Senior Member • Posts: 1,331

I use both lenses.  The 11-22 is used for landscapes and the 15-45 is used as a light walking around lens which I find to be quite useful.  Both are relatively slow lenses and perform well in daylight. I find the 11-22 to perform better in low light situations and produces sharper images. Here are some recent shots taken with the 15-45.

jcochran's gear list:jcochran's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 +19 more
VooDooZG
VooDooZG Forum Member • Posts: 50

Sorry for sami OT but what would you do
I'am about to buy new M5 and I don't know if I need/want 11-22, I have 16-35 f4 IS  -- I know about weight and size big difference but will I get a lot or medium lower quality IQ lens ( I could go with 16mm on apsc I think it will be enough and if I will need UWA I'll put it on 6D )..

So would you buy 11-22 if you where in my place or no ??

thx

VooDooZG's gear list:VooDooZG's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +7 more
Sharif
Sharif Senior Member • Posts: 1,562

VooDooZG wrote:

Sorry for sami OT but what would you do
I'am about to buy new M5 and I don't know if I need/want 11-22, I have 16-35 f4 IS -- I know about weight and size big difference but will I get a lot or medium lower quality IQ lens ( I could go with 16mm on apsc I think it will be enough and if I will need UWA I'll put it on 6D )..

So would you buy 11-22 if you where in my place or no ??

thx

No scientific tests done but since you asked "what we would do if we were in your place"... I recently bought an M5 and already have a 17-40 f4L (a predecessor of your lens) I did also buy a 11-22. I think the price of this lens is attractive and its just so much smaller and lighter than the 17-40L (the main reason I invested into a mirrorless system in the first place). Haven't tested it in detail but so far the results look good to me.

Sharif's gear list:Sharif's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads